collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Tin Pan Alley, baby, must be your home, when it ain't nothin' down there, honey, but blood and bones - Curtis Jones, Tin Pan Alley

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 222488 times)

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #210 on: January 26, 2006, 04:45:56 PM »
...good point about players who chose one side of the spiritual fence or the other, compared to those who 'dipped' into the spiritual side, like BWM ... I guess for those like Blind Willie, it was a matter of what audiences wanted to hear, both live and on record, and, perhaps, to express their own beliefs ... if you want to pursue this further I'd recommend you begin a post in the forum on this topic ... I'm sure you'll get tons of ideas of players to check out ... then, start listening to the suggestions on the juke..

Offline Hamhound

« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2006, 06:22:21 PM »
Howdy all - New member here and delighted to be so.
Let me tell you a little of myself - I'm 5ft 10" and 3/4, am well-built and have shoulder-length blond hair. I enjoy horseback riding, romance and.....  - Wait! - this isn't *that* forum at all..  Ah, I'm getting sick of telling all those damn lies anyway.

Am seriously astounded at discovering weeniecampbell.com -
! ! ? ? !
A site *just* devoted to country blues?
With an active membership?
With an emphasis on *the music* - incl. *playing it*?
With a CB JUKEBOX? ! ?
(Deep breath)

Truly awesome!!    :D

As I know old weenie-hands must now take all this for granted, I hope I don't appear too much of a panting puppy...

I've read the "About Weenie" bit and now get where the odd I mean 'distinctive' name came from and where the genesis of the site came from

Guys, I don't even know where Port Townsend IS , and I would guess have little chance of visiting as I am poor and live far far away (assuming PT is somewhere on the North American continent) -  Am I still welcome as a wc member?

I hope so - It's a great site - Congratulations!

Best to all,

hugh.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2006, 07:26:52 PM »
Absolutely welcome, Hugh! 'Tho' this site grew out of a list of PT attendees, we now have members the world over, and are supportive of CB instruction wherever it takes place. The CB community is a pretty small place to do something silly like take sides.-G- And it's always great to hear ther enthusiasm of a new member.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2006, 08:32:23 PM »
Yes, weclome Hugh!  Glad you found us and always delighted to have new enthusiastic members with a keen wit and a sense of humor - you had me going there for a sec - Ha!

cheers,
slack

BTW Hugh -- Port Townsend is in the state of Washington - from where do you hail?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 08:36:29 PM by Slack »

Offline Hamhound

« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2006, 09:56:42 PM »
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen (waxwing, slack)

Port Townsend - State of Washington - right, gottcha.
With an acute sense of geography that will amaze you, I deduce this to be on the "right-hand side" of the USA.
I once heard someone more learned than myself (I believe he must have been a professor) refer to it as "The Eastern Seaboard"

from where do you hail?
I'm the secretive type slack, and refuse to give away the slighest clue where I'm from.
Although I am prepared to admit that we have crocodiles, koalas, kangaroos and emus here at this secret location.

Haven't really played at all in the last 8 years, so you can imagine how good all those broke-down chops and half-remembered tunes sound..  :'(

In my "glory days" (ahem ahem) I had a 'grab-bag' repetoire - one John Hurt tune, 2 x R. Wilkins tunes, 2 Blind Lemon, one Little Hat Jones etc etc
The Patton tunes I tried to learn I just plain gave up on....
Once impressed (myself at least) by transcribing the first 2 verses and break from Rev Davis' Hesitation Blues - this was in the days when you had to lift the needle off the record and drop it back a little...  I thought I was cool, though no one else gave a damn.

Oh, and as a piece of trivia, I also bought John Miller's first LP long long ago (and still have it!) - there was some Bo Carter stuff on there that really grabbed me!..... So thanks JohnM   :)

best to all,
H

Edit: Re. geography (above)- I've just had a look at my atlas (N-W States of USA) - I really have no idea do I?
Washington State is not on the Eastern Seaboard is it?
There is a "Port Townsend" in "the Washington State" that borders Canada in the northwest corner of the United States - which has nothing to do with the Washington D.C. on the other coast...
Damnit!
Slack, I thought my oblique references to koalas and emus may have  fooled you into thinking I was from Iowa, but ok, I confess, I really am from another country (there I've said it!)  :'(  :'(  ::)
Sorry guys - I know this place & gathering (PT) is very dear to many of you - and I can't even figure out where the hell it is!
Well, I know now - Times Atlas of The World is a wonderful book (call me old-fashioned but I'd take it over Google Earth anyday)
peace & good things..
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 03:45:50 AM by Hamhound »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2006, 06:52:40 AM »
Ha, glad you got that geogaphy strainghtened out Hugh... nice recovery.   

We used to have a couple of fellows make the trek to Port Townsend from New Zealand about every year -- they both finally just move to the US.   I see by your pin on the Member Map that you live with the Aborigines.   :D

Cheers,

Offline Hamhound

« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2006, 06:26:57 PM »
see by your pin on the Member Map that you live with the Aborigines

Hmm yes - looks like I might have had a couple before I threw that pin down.  :P

Will sort that before too long.

Thanks for the welcome slack.

:)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2006, 06:31:20 PM »
Although I am prepared to admit that we have crocodiles, koalas, kangaroos and emus here at this secret location.

The U.S. Congress? The U.N.?

Welcome Hamhound!

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2006, 08:28:05 PM »
If you've got one of my albums, you must have been around for a while, Hugh.  Welcome!
All best,
Johnm

Offline Gingergeezer

« Reply #219 on: February 07, 2006, 04:04:55 AM »
Hello there. Just discovered this site...and what a find. A whole site full of people as obbsessed with this stuff as I am!
A bit about me... 30yrs old (nearly 31!) from the Northeast of England and I've been playing acoustic blues since I was abut 15/16 starting off with slide and moving off into other things such as coming to grips with standard tuning and chords a few years later! I also enjoy fooling about with the mandolin.
There you go!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: February 07, 2006, 06:48:22 AM »
Welcome Gingergeezer -- glad you found us!

LightninBoy

« Reply #221 on: February 09, 2006, 12:44:10 PM »
G'day mates!
Another Orstralian 'ere. Crikey!

I believe there's a special word to describe a wonderful, exciting and unexpected find, but it escapes me.
But thats how I feel about this site. Fantastic!

I started playing in 1970, and have made a living from playing and teaching guitar.
I'm now semi-retired due to illness, but I still perform a little to help make ends meet.

I've always loved the blue's, and like a true love, my fondness for it gets stronger as the years roll by.
I admit that for many years, (long ago) I presumed Cream wrote "Rollin' & Tumblin'", and The Rolling Stone's wrote "Love In Vain", but I'm learning lots, and its refreshing to go back in time and be blown away by such great music as pre-war country blues.
I've already learned a truckload from this site, so thanks fella's, I love ya's all!
LB.

boots

« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2006, 10:13:39 AM »
I believe there's a special word to describe a wonderful, exciting and unexpected find, but it escapes me.
But thats how I feel about this site. Fantastic!

Serendipity.  8)

Offline bloozinay

« Reply #223 on: March 04, 2006, 03:03:16 PM »
Hi all, I'm Carl from Connecticut. I hit this site by accident last week, and have been playing it every day. I posted this site on Bob Brozemans/Woody Mann's forum at International Guitar Seminars...That way I'm hoping that we can get more contributors...I donated $5 bucks...not much but it's a start!
This week I ordered a Sony Mini disk recorder( because I'm tired of screwing around w/ my Marantz tape recorder..what a pain in the ass. I also dropped off a banjolin to get fixed...that'll run me a about $180, but I think it's worth it.
I've been playing guitar about 20 yrs, fiddle about 5 yrs. It's all a form of therapy... It's all good stuff!
But seriously, I appreciate the site and the work put into it, Thank you all!

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #224 on: March 04, 2006, 03:21:38 PM »
Hi bloozinay,
Welcome to Weenie Campbell!
All best,
Johnm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal