collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
If you asked me a request today and I didn't know it, I'd go get the sheet music tomorrow and learn it so I wouldn't be caught the next time - Carl Martin, interview with Jeff Todd Titon

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 222486 times)

Offline belewfripp

• Howdy!
Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #705 on: August 26, 2014, 07:25:42 AM »
Hello all,

I'm a relatively new convert to interest in blues music, but it was likely inevitable as every few years I'll suddenly have my interest piqued by something or other and have to go learn as much as I can about it.  This time, I was looking at the website for the punk rock band The Damned, and followed a link to a notice about their guitarist's new solo album, which had just been released on a label that was also advertising a re-release of music by Son House.

For some reason, something clicked, and I realized there was this whole area of music I'd never explored, and I started digging in.  I discovered Weenie Campbell fairly early on, and have lurked/read many posts, mostly related to what releases are the best ones for certain musicians. 

My main blues interests right now are pre-war blues, and I've become more enthusiastic the deeper I dig in and the more musicians I listen to.  My absolute favorite at this point is Blind Willie Johnson (though technically the songs themselves are gospel).  I've also become strongly attached to the music of Big Bill Broonzy, Blind Blake, Charlie Patton, Mississippi John Hurt, Robert Johnson, Sylvester Weaver and Tommy Johnson, and have quite a few others I'm still exploring and familiarizing myself with.

I look forward to continuing to read and learn, and may chime in occasionally if I have a question that hasn't been addressed or an opinion on an artist with whom I've become familiar.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #706 on: August 26, 2014, 09:03:47 AM »
Welcome belewfripp,   thanks for de-lurking!

I like your artist picks, it sounds like you have very good taste in music.   ;D

Offline obrigadotony

• Howdy!
« Reply #707 on: September 10, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »
Hello all. Happy to have found this place (though have been a member for a little while - am now ready to post on the boards).

Back in early 2012 I decided to finally pursue a long-held goal of mine - I wanted to able to play a few Mississippi John Hurt and Robert Johnson tunes.  At that point, I had only hear 4 MJH tunes from a mix CD I had and was vauguely famliar with Robert Johnson.  I just knew that I wanted to get into playing acoustic blues with a slide.

So I bought RJ's complete recordings (newer version) and a short little book on RJ with a suggested listening section in the back.  I ended downloading Yazoo's "Founder of the Delta Blues" and "King of the Delta Blues" on itunes and WHOA....my life changed.

Artists whose songs I'm working on at the moment:

RJ
MJH
Son House
Blind Willie Johnson
Lightnin Hopkins

I started out as a former guitarist and now at the point where I can get through some of these tunes AND sing.  It's not pretty but it's a start.  Will post some performance real soon.

Glad to be aboard.

Nick

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #708 on: September 10, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
Welcome Nick!  And thanks for de-lurking. 

Offline pilgrimsue

• Howdy!
« Reply #709 on: September 23, 2014, 08:51:23 PM »
Hello all,
Greetings from Victoria BC!
I've been playing and singing acoustic blues for about 5 years, mostly lapslide. Just starting to learn finger picking, working on Shake Sugaree right now. I went to Pt Townsend in 2013 for the first time and felt like I'd gone to music heaven. Planning to make it back in 2015.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #710 on: September 23, 2014, 09:08:20 PM »
Welcome Sue!

Offline stevedenver

• Howdy!
« Reply #711 on: September 29, 2014, 12:34:48 PM »
I cant believe it took me so long to learn of this site.
what a treasure, what a resource.

I play an old martin dred, which is my guitar of choice for country blues.   I play finger style country, with slide too. I love the deep bass my dred delivers, with or without finger picks. Huge on john hurt, Robert J., and blind willy mctell, with a bit of Son too.

I love this site. so much to learn, so much fun to read about the music that, im my experience so few know, no less, love.

I also play rock, jazz, old time and ...from time to time, bluegrass and blues and old time mando.

thanks thanks thanks!!!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #712 on: September 29, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
Welcome Steve!  Glad you found us! 

Out of curiosity, how did you find us?   And what part of the country are you in --- maybe some other weenies are in your area..?

Offline stevedenver

• Howdy!
« Reply #713 on: September 29, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »
stevedenver-???LOL
Denver
I found you via someones reference on the martin forum

been collecting blues recordings and playing blues and country blues since....1969! twas out of step with all my little Hendrix worshipping peers, not that I didn't like jimi, just liked Charlie Patton, Bukka, even Fahey, and Skip James a bit more. :)

I have, over my forty years of playing, found that country blues players are kinda rare, or so it seems to me.  I think it became popularized a bit with the release of the first RJ vinyl, and then some Stones tunes, and Hot Tuna taking it sorta mainstream, among others, then, it passed to some extent as music progressed.

it seems to me that the return to 'Americana /roots"  is in swing. Jack White certainly is helping introduce many, as did at one time, Zep, Clapton, and others.

The only other country blues players I knew were Mary Flower, while she was still in Denver, (great teacher and person and performer) and my first guitar teacher, aka  'Barbeque Bob', (Don Debacker - 60 Million Buffalo and Dusty Drapes and the Dusters).

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:16:27 PM by stevedenver »

Offline page21

« Reply #714 on: November 03, 2014, 01:46:02 PM »
Greetings all...

As a new user, I thought the appropriate thing to do would be to participate in this roll call prior to all else so as to introduce myself proper.

First off, my name is Matt, though I've gone by Matty Slim in the past. This nickname was received begrudgingly back in the days when I fronted my own band or gave side support to another's. In that time, amplified harp ala Chicago 1950s was my gig. However, those days appear all but totally over for me as I haven't taken to a stage or blown a lick in three years running. Also, it seems my desire to do so has run out.

My earliest memories include a love for music but I didn't aspire towards learning to play an instrument myself until the late teens, over twenty years ago when I took up guitar and harmonica around the same time.

I found it too challenging to serve two masters if you will, and so gravitated heavily toward the harp. This I presume had to do with the attractive obscurity and relative ease of that instrument, the latter being quite the deception by the way.

Anyhow, within a few years I was getting paid and making a name for myself locally and a bit beyond. I ran this course from 1993 to 2010 but the last few years of it were spotty at best. In fact, the entire career was half assed to say the least for I was clueless in regards to the severity of my drinking problem. In the end, no one wanted to play with me and I couldn't care less as I had been pulled into the eye of my addiction by this point.

Things change though and so did I, I sobered up! That was in 2011, and though I have many fond memories of "the good old days," life today is better than ever.

I honestly don't have much of an interest at all in blowing harp or playing in a band anymore, but one thing that has been significantly resparked in my imagination since getting sober is the guitar. Where as I hardly picked one during the band days, it's been near impossible to put it down during these past few years.

Still, I lack the same level of intuition with the guitar that came with playing harmonica. I'm at a plateau and a crossroads with my playing and my sense of direction...

So, that's what brings me here, to call on the support of those better experienced than I. The feeling is an undeniable inclination to reintegrate myself into a musical community and perhaps learn once again how to cause a soul or two to dance. But I'm not too proud to say it, "I need your help."

Now, that I've laid out what's probably more than enough for a "proper" introduction here, I am eagerly looking forward to learning and progressing with you all as a resource and to perhaps, when I can, pass something along and give a little back.

Regards,
Slim

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #715 on: November 03, 2014, 01:54:31 PM »
Welcome Slim!  Glad you found us.

Offline page21

« Reply #716 on: November 05, 2014, 11:21:28 AM »
Thank you Slack! Actually the truth is, I found you all quite a while back. However, I never became a lurker. It's taken me a while to get over certain prejudices regarding the internet and it's social networks. Glad I've finally laid that burden down. Now, to just work up the nerve and courage to record a tune, post it and wait for the feedback...

Offline allrounder

• Howdy!
« Reply #717 on: November 12, 2014, 03:28:30 AM »
Hi my name is allrounder and I have a blues problem. I'm 30 and I've been listening to blues for seven years. I have to listen to blues everyday. I listen to guys like Frank Stokes, Furry lewis, robert wilkins, mississippi john hurt, charlie patton. henry thomas, and more. Here's a song that i listened to the other night and liked. i tried to learn harmonica but never actually did.

Offline phil_doleman

• phildoleman.co.uk
« Reply #718 on: January 04, 2015, 01:16:42 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm Phil Doleman, and I'm a ukulele player/ singer from the UK, playing blues and early jazz. I often pop by looking for lyric help, etc. so I thought I really ought to become a member!

Here I am playing Police Dog Blues after a uke workshop I gave to Ver Players in St' Albans.

Offline ThatKidWithTheFace

• Howdy!
« Reply #719 on: January 12, 2015, 03:18:03 PM »
Hey y'all!

I am ecstatic to find this website. I don't know how I've not run up on it before, because it's the exact thing I was looking for. I always figured the only people who felt like I did about folk blues were musicologists!

Anyways, my name's Justin, I'm 19, and live in Alabama. I blow a little harp, and occasionally mess around on my "diddley bow" (an older cousin's guitar that only has one string left on it  ;) )

Well, I just wanted to say hey! I'll let y'all get back to whatever you was doin'.  Y'all have a good one!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal