collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
And if anybody asks you who's singin' so straight, just tell 'em it's a quartet called the Golden Gate - Golden Gate Quartet, Every Time That I Feel The Spirit

Author Topic: Blues waltz with vocal?  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
Blues waltz with vocal?
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:23:37 AM »
Hi all,  I've started teaching a string band blues class here in the Bay Area, great fun! One of the students requested a bluesy waltz, with vocals. The ones that fit that description that I know best are Cajun or Creole waltzes, and I don't really want to to have to teach a song in another language.  Any suggestions?  I have the list that was posted awhile back of Waltzes Performed by Country Blues Musicians.  I'm not familiar with all of the material, but it seems that the fiddle or mando based ones tend to be instrumentals, and I'm looking for singing.  So far I'm leaning towards "You Are A Little Too Small" by the Carolina Tar Heels but any other suggestions would be appreciated.  Thinking about Dunbar's Child too, esp. since folks may have heard the NPR piece about that mystery, what a very strange story!

So far in our class we've covered material by the Memphis Jug Band, Arthur Smith, Doc Roberts, the Mississippi Sheiks.  Coming up is material from Frank Stokes, Leadbelly, the Mississippi Mud Steppers, Lowe Stokes and a bunch more of the MJB and the Miss. Sheiks. 

Thanks,
Suzy

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Re: Blues waltz with vocal?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 11:41:22 AM »
Miss the Mississippi and You, Jimmie Rodgers.

Has the advantage of opening that big 'ol door to blue yodels and beyond.

Also, there's an existing thread here on Weenie labeled "Waltzes played by CB artists?" Plenty of ideas there.

Lindy

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:45:14 AM by lindy »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »
I agree with Lindy -- Rodgers has quite a few that would be nice -- Mississippi Moon is another good one. Also there's Old Joe's Barroom by Dock Boggs and the very similar but extremely staticky Aunt Jane Blues by the Shepherd Brothers.
Chris

Offline Lyle Lofgren

• Lyle & Elizabeth Lofgren
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:34:06 PM »
The Brandy Snifters' favorite bluesy waltz is "In The Pines," for several reasons:

a) It's easy to play;
b) It has some interesting vocal harmonies;
c) There's the opportunity for bluesy sliding on the fiddle; and
d) The chorus has woo-hoos.

Lyle

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 01:13:12 PM »
Martin, Bogin and Armstrong had a few as I recall, but thats as far as my recall recalls.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 02:45:53 PM »
I might be mistaken, but I think Clifton Chenier may have recorded a couple of blues waltzes with at least some verses in English.
Maybe you could write some lyrics of your own too. How cool would that be? To write your own blues waltz. What the hell am I wasting my time on the internet for? The f*ckt*rds upstairs have got Band Hero Metallica, I might as well make some noise myself.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:32:32 PM »
It's not exactly a blues, Suzy, but I am very partial to "Irene, Goodnight".  A beautiful melody to sing and play and wonderful lyrics.
All best,
Johnm

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 06:38:33 AM »
Wow, what a great-sounding class, Suzy.

A couple more not-exactly-blues suggestions, but Bill Monroe has a bunch of waltzes.

I've always been partial to Charlie Poole's There'll Come a Time. Rather sentimental lyric but great music. There are a number of waltzes by Poole. Not blues but string band and with vocals. When I type "waltz" into my iTunes, I get lots of results, but they're all instrumentals.

Edited to add: Charlie Poole's Highwayman is another, a little less sentimental, highwayman save from hangin' by the love of a good woman with cash.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:37:43 AM by uncle bud »

Offline ricmoran

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 01:39:34 AM »
Although Brubeck is piano/keyboard one fine Bruebeck jazz waltz can been taken to blues with a little persuasion. No verses to his "Three to get ready" however in class I am sure taking up the task of assigning verse to go with his score you'd get some interesting words to go with the music.

Offline Mr. Jelly Roll

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 06:08:28 AM »
One of the greatest Blues Waltzes is "President Kennedy" by Son House.
You can find it on the Columbia Record "Father Of The Delta Blues: The Complete 1965 Sessions".
House also uses a minor chord on this song. What a record !!!

Keep pickin'
Mr. Jelly Roll

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 08:18:11 AM »
Yes, also the similar earlier song from on the Library of Congress recordings, "American Defense."

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »
Uncle bud, is that the same as "This War May Last You For Years"?
All best,
Johnm

Offline Mr. Jelly Roll

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 11:20:37 AM »
Yes, also the similar earlier song from on the Library of Congress recordings, "American Defense."

...I didn't know that one. Very interesting.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 09:05:48 PM »
Uncle bud, is that the same as "This War May Last You For Years"?
All best,
Johnm

Hi John - Yes, that's the same song.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal