collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Folks call me Mister Cleanhead 'cause my head is bald on top. And every week I save a dollar when I walk by that barber shop - Eddie Cleanhead Vinson, Cleanhead Blues

Author Topic: where else on the interwebs...  (Read 12041 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: where else on the interwebs...
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2013, 09:10:57 AM »
it's not something i'd normally present to anyone.

Well, thanks for presenting it to us.  It's got a nice groove that doesn't wear out its welcome.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2013, 08:21:03 AM »
Real nice frankie, now that I've had some time to sit down and listen. Feel like I should be in the back of a cab riding around in the rain. I imagine "going long" can quickly expose the player's limitations, or would in my case anyway. Not so here, that's for dang sure.

Speaking of going long, I've been listening to a lot of Rev. Gary Davis again lately, especially the the two 3-CD sets Stefan Grossman has put out somewhat recently, "Live at Gerde's Folk City" and "At Home and at Church", as well as the earlier "Demons and Angels". I had been noticing and really enjoying how long the majority of the tunes go on the first two sets in particular (Demons and Angels has more of the snippet stuff - also good). Many clock in around the 6 minutes+ range, with some going to 8 or 9. I also was rewatching the footage from Rainbow Quest, where he goes long brilliantly as well on Children of Zion and Oh Glory How Happy I Am. If it's done right, there's a mood -- sometimes intense, sometimes laid back -- and a musical headspace achieved on this kind of solo guitar playing that is not generally possible in 3 minutes. Just a different kind of playing, I guess, but it's really appealing.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »
Funny Andrew I've spoken to both Ian Zack & Bill Ellis about my idea that the only person Dylan was regularly hearing very long songs with cosmic hallucinatory images from in his early years was Rev. Davis.
Frank, this is my favorite of all your posts, definitely the best vocal I've ever heard from you, and a really great translation of a piano blues to guitar. Bitter deep guitar playing. Walter Davis suits you. Fantastic achievement I think. Deep deep blues. I know you got 'em, now we get to feel 'em.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:13:17 AM by Mr.OMuck »
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2013, 05:09:06 PM »
wow - that's some heavy comparisons. It's reassuring to know I didn't lose everybody with that one. thanks for the kind words!

I actually put the mp3 on a thumb drive and took it with me while I went grocery shopping and I think it passed the 'Sunday Morning' test. :)

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »
It works well on Sunday Evenings too! Just let this play through earlier while I cooked dinner. I agree wholeheartedly with the prior comments about how letting a tune stretch out and breath can give it some special quality that's hard to get to in three minutes.

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2013, 09:00:45 AM »

Works well on a Monday morning too, while I am pottering about the house :)

Offline Kokomo O

• Howdy!
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 08:08:08 AM »
I agree Frank. No need to fear the clock. You got to lots of interesting stuff there, and you might not have got there in separate three, four or five minute chunks.

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2013, 11:19:54 AM »
just play it in the background while you do something else.

Just listened to this while working in the shop.  Then listened to the eight minute one.  Then every song in this thread.  Really really great!  Thanks for posting these.  I'd buy the album!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 09:11:39 PM »
Thanks guys - I appreciate your taking the time to listen and share your impressions!

I'd buy the album!

Actually, you can...  I've been posting monthly 'sketchbooks' on bandcamp:

http://countryblues.bandcamp.com/

there are three so far, one each for January, February and March:

When The Rooster Crows - January 2013

Ain't No Gal Of Mine - February 2013

So Hard Hearted - March 2013

I'm looking forward to regrouping a bit for April... 

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2013, 03:48:12 AM »
it's been a while since I posted to this thread... here's something that I've always liked, but never could quite find the courage to try until recently:

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2013, 09:36:36 AM »
Thanks for posting that, Frank, it's terrific.  You sure figured out how how Lonzie was making that work.  What a treat.
All best,
Johnm

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2013, 10:32:29 AM »
thanks, John. That guy had one happy thumb, I think.

Offline Zoharbareket

• Howdy!
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »
Thanks guys - I appreciate your taking the time to listen and share your impressions!

I'd buy the album!

Actually, you can...  I've been posting monthly 'sketchbooks' on bandcamp:

http://countryblues.bandcamp.com/

Its probably me being a few steps behind, but until now I didnt have a clue what bandcamp is good for (!!)

Now I do :)

Just purchased myself a couple of your albums, looking forward to listening to them once the kids are asleep....

Great music!

---
Thanks for posting that, Frank, it's terrific.  You sure figured out how how Lonzie was making that work.  What a treat.
All best,
Johnm

I'm relatively new to the (deep) ocean of country blues, and not sure who Lonzie was, but man your playing is great. a treat indeed!

Be well,

Zohar

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2013, 03:22:03 AM »
Thanks, Zohar - I'm glad you like it. The 'monthly' sketchbook didn't quite work out ofter March, but I'm trying to get back into a regular rhythm with it. One thing at a time!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2013, 03:49:10 AM »
Quality stuff, as usual!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal