collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Blues is a natural fact, is something that a fellow lives. If you don't live it you don't have it. Young people have forgotten to cry the blues. Now they talk and get lawyers and things - Big Bill Broonzy

Author Topic: European Blues Association Acoustic Blues Weekend, March 4-6  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
European Blues Association Acoustic Blues Weekend, March 4-6
« on: February 26, 2005, 09:39:59 AM »
Hi all,
I realize it is a bit late to be promoting this event, but the EBA's Winter Blues Weekend will be held next week-end, March 4th-6th at the South Hill Park Arts Centre in Bracknell, Berkshire.  I will be teaching there along with slide player Homesick Mac and British harmonica whiz Eddie Martin.  I believe there is still space available.  For more info, go to the EBA's website:  www.euroblues.org.  I am really looking forward to the event.  I had a great time at the EBA Spring Week-end last May in Pocklington and welcome the opportunity to reunite with friends and see and hear what they have been up to.  It's good to meet new participants, too.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: European Blues Association Acoustic Blues Weekend, March 4-6
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 04:34:47 PM »
Hi all,
Now that I'm back a bit better adjusted to the time difference, I thought I'd tell a little about this event.  It was fun for me, as was the one I did in Pocklington last May.  It was a nice opportunity to reunite with friends from the EBA events I've been to in the past, and always fun to hang out with people interested in this music.
There was a surprising amount of class time crammed into the week-end.  I did sessions on cross-note tuning, getting comfortable with it and finding licks and chord voicings in it, worked on Mance Lipscomb's "Willie Poor Boy", a great tune in Spanish that a couple of people noted was similar to Leadbelly's "Poor Howard", worked on Clifford Gibson's Vastapol tune, "Old Timey Rider", created a new accompaniment for Henry Thomas's "Bull Doze Blues" in Spanish that incorporates the great pan pipe melody that Canned Heat used for "Going Up The Country", and worked on the Gus Cannon tune, "Prison Wall Blues".  Participants were really game, up for anything, and hung in there really well.  It was good to see and hear some of the regular posters to the Weenie site--Norfolk Slim and Blueshome.  Later on in the week I met Wailing Wolf, who attended the show I did in Stamford.
I'm already looking forward to the EBA Blues Week in August.  Mike Dowling and Ari Eisinger have been added to the staff for this year's session and I think it will be a particularly strong one.
All best,
Johnm

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 01:43:41 AM »
Hello John

Had a great time in your group at Bracknell, your choice of material was perfect, great fun to play and not excessively demanding for intermediate to advanced guitarists! The introduction to cross note tuning was great. Been aware of the tuning but not really used it before, it has opened up a hole new world of haunting songs.

The evening staff concert was excellent, good contrasting styles between the three performers a great little venue and the performances were full of energy.

Great weekend, looking forward to August.

All the best
Andrew

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 04:12:12 PM »
I'm glad to hear you had a good time at Bracknell, Andrew.  It was a lot of fun for me also.  I think the stage that is the most fun for me is when you get an entire room full of people playing the quills melody from "Bull Doze Blues" or "Willie Poor Boy" together.  I'll see you in Northampton in August.
All best,
Johnm

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal