collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I got myself a mamma, she's always got me feeling blue. She acts just like the weather, I don't know what she's going to do - Lonnie Johnson, "Fickle Mamma Blues" (1927)

Author Topic: Kalamazoo K-12 Query  (Read 3438 times)

Arlo

Re: Kalamazoo K-12 Query
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 11:48:07 AM »
Hi, new here, happened onto this thread while googling kalamazoo guitars. I also have a kgn-12, oriole model.  from my research I have believe the oriole was supposed to be a step up from the kg 14.  It was made from 1940 - 42, and the headstock was like a gibson instead of a straight or slant cut.  Bought mine in 1993 at Elderly Insruments for $165.00.  I know I could get a lot for it now, but I will never part with it.  Looking forward to checking out the forum and site here.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 04:35:44 PM »
Welcome to weenie campbell Arlo.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 01:18:54 AM »
Welcome Arlo.  You certainly got a bargain with your KGN-12.

A couple of months ago, Roy Book Binder played my example and in fact used it on stage at a local gig.  He said he had never seen a Kalamazoo in such good condition and when I asked him about current value, he estimated around $2500 as it is so clean.  Willie Salomon, from whom I bought the instrument, thought (rightly I reckon) the guitar had probably been in a case under somebody's bed for years.  Hence the original machines were not rusty and the body was not full of dust and dirt.

I like the contrast of the Gibson firestripe pickguard and tortoiseshell binding with the natural body, but I have to admit I really like the look of the sunburst models.  Anyone got a nice L-00 they want to donate??
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal