collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Ain't never a white man had the Blues.....nothin to worry about! - Huddie Ledbetter

Author Topic: Kind Hearted Woman  (Read 2513 times)

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
Kind Hearted Woman
« on: January 05, 2006, 12:22:43 PM »
Got a Tascam Digital Recorder for Christmas and I have been working with it. I tried to upload an MP3 but it was a tad large for the forum so if you would go to http://www.markmcdonaldblues.com/kind.htm you can get it.  I think I redlined a little trying to get the levels up. I would appreciate any recording advice that you may want to offer.  It sounds great on a CD but the MP3 sounds a little cloudy on my computer.  Anyway give it try.  Hope you enjoy it.

Mark McDonald

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
Re: Kind Hearted Woman
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 01:44:17 PM »
First, the technical issues - this does sound "weird", as in electronically distorted.  The effect is like what I'd expect with a too-compressed MP3, but if I understand you this isn't that compressed?   I would indeed back off on the levels or perhaps move away from the mic - I suspect you are pegging the meter quite often, which you don't want to be doing for a digital recording.  For what it's worth I have a Tascam USB device - I am always frustrated with the levels - I can't get 'em up where I'd like, since it inevitably saturates periodically and sounds horrible.  Haven't figured it out compeltely myself, if there even is an answer.

I'm curious, how many mics you using?  One, or separate mics for voice and guitar?  I assumed you had the harp on a rack, but then at one point there is voice + harp - are you overdubbing throughout?

Anyway, keep messing with the recording setup - cause the performance, playing and singing, is fantastic.  Certainly deserves to lose that distortion!

tom

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 02:49:32 PM »
Tom,

Thank you so much for the input.  I am using one mic, an Audio Technica condenser that came with the Tascam DP-01FX-CD unit as a part of a promotion (I am supposed to get another one soon, as two mics were a part of the package.  At that point I will record in stereo )  I first recorded the song and and it was very quiet.  I found that out when I listened to the CD in the car and when I popped the CD out the Radio volume almost busted the speakers.  So then I recorded the song again today with the input level way up.  I was watching for the red light when I was recording and it never came on so I thought I was okay.   I think by backing off the input level a little it should be fine. 

The harp was not racked. I overdubbed it on track two.  I wish I could get that kind of tone racked but that ain't gonna happen.  BTW the guitar is a little Seagull Grand that I bought a few weeks ago for both my daughter and myself. The singing amd playing was on track one.  I think alot of the distortion is when I leaned into the mike

Thanks so much Tom for the input.  I will try it again soon and try to get everything a litlle cleaner.  Pretty soon I will probably get the hang of it.  I am scheduling some consultation time with the engineer that did my first album so that will help alot too.

Later

Mark McDonald.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 01:30:51 PM »
Hi

Congratulations! First and most of all you got some very nice guitar and harp going up there!

My so far very feeble  attempts to record with my computer have revealed the following facts: We are (or most of the middle-aged CB afficiandos like myself, anyway) Children of the Analog Era. Don't think that this will help you out ANY in the New Digital World. On the contrary. Crancking up the volume to get that "extra boost" ? la "Ray Charles" just doesn't happen in the digital world. The result is a "clipping" that's most horrible even in the slightest form. You can boost the sound either before recording (which I think is more natural) or afterwards. But you must make absolutely sure the recording signal never goes to red, while recording. I'm not familiar with the gear you gentleman are discussing, but in my computer software I have an Yoursoption to "normalize" the recorded take,  to optimalize the volume AFTER recording, without distorting it.
Being part of the "technically impaired" or "00:00" generation, I'm sure there are a lot of people who can explain this far more better than I can.

Meanwhile, have a nice Year

Yours,
Pan

Offline snakehips

• Hi there !
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 04:02:05 PM »
Hi there !

Very good !

When I play RJ stuff, I can't help but play it a bit different than the record - its more like how I hear it in my head. Then when I play the real RJ version back, I realise that how I play it is less like the record than I thought it was !! (Any one know what I mean ?). I think it drives Prof Scratchy nuts - but he is far too much of a gent to say anything  !!

I've got a shortened version of the song on the Soundclick website if anyone is interested !
(I called it "Rob Johnson Tribute").
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=332080&songID=2989293
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 04:06:18 PM by snakehips »

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 10:50:03 AM »
Hey Snakehips that is some sweet stuff on you soundclick page. I did especially like KHW. Great phrasing and playing.  Your slide playing in general is very tasty.

Have you ever been to Centrum?  If not, you should try to make it sometime.  You would be in 7th heaven.

Mark McDonald

Offline snakehips

• Hi there !
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 05:02:44 PM »
Hi again !

Thanks. I know I'm gonna make a fool of myself here - but remind me, what is KHW ?

I just can't think what KHW it stands for !! (I'll kick myself, I'm sure !!!)

By the way, apart from the older stuff I've got on soundclick, the tunes with pictures were recorded this year directly onto my PC. I've got an Oktava ribbon mic, into an Audio Buddy Dual Mic Preamp/Direct Box. The jack output of that goes directly into the mini jack input of the soundcard on my PC (basic soundcard the PC came with).

I use the VERY simple downloadable software called "Freecorder" available from www.freecorder.com
Essentially it is one track recording. The free version only lets you record at 64kbps and for up to 2 minutes per song. The year subscription ($20 I think), records at a much better 128kbps for up to 10mb's (I think). Very simple to use.

The sound quality is not too bad at all ! (I think ?)

boots

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 05:42:48 PM »
Kind Hearted Woman.  :P

Offline snakehips

• Hi there !
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 05:53:04 AM »
Oh crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a clutzzzzzz !!!

Was having a M A J O R mental block there !!!!!!

Where is Centrum ?
In the US ?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 05:55:32 AM by snakehips »

boots

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 01:16:29 PM »
Yes. Centrum

Offline snakehips

• Hi there !
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 04:11:58 PM »
Hi again !

Washington is a bit far away for me !!
Perhaps one day !

I can learn off Prof Scratchy in the meantime !!!

I added some new tunes to Soundclick, 2 nights ago - including my wacky version of Kokomo Arnold's Milk Cow Blues (don't know most of the lyrics, keep getting Son House stuff in my head when I play it !!). I hope it conveys some sort of similar spirit to the original ?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 04:14:48 PM by snakehips »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 01:56:24 PM »
Maybe a bunch of Brits could put together a charter flight and get over on the cheap? -G- It would be great to get together with a lot of you Weenies from across the pond.

So this thread is kind of a serendipitous syncronicity for me. Recently Alex (Pyro) asked me to send him a recording of KHW so that he could fit a second guitar arrangement to it. Also, there is a current thread on the Woodshed concerning the RJ slowed down conspiracy theory (Please let's not discuss it here!) and I'd like to make the point that I actually capo a fret higher than Johnson so that I can reach the low notes that he sings. Since this thread seems to be tending towards a " you show me yours so I'll show you mine", I thought I'd post my version. I fall into the "not good enough to create my own version" category so I just do it the way Johnon did it, including the last verse from the alternate take. But I certainly like where both of you guys have gone with it. This is on the little Stella capoed to 3. Hope ya'll like it.

All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 02:01:55 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline snakehips

• Hi there !
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 02:57:49 PM »
Hi again !

Bloody good ! If only we could get Prof Scratchy to record it.

Come on Prof !

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 04:31:15 PM »
Very cool, John. Very accurate cover.  I actually should be a little more meticulous with my covers.  I just kind of go by the seat of my pants.

Hope you are doing well.  Keep us posted as to your gigs, etc.  I missed the last house concert because of a conflict.  I would have loved to come.

Later.

Mark

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 01:56:18 PM »
I don't think you "should " do anything, but I sure do learn a lot by figuring out how these guys played the things that they did. Thanks for the kudos, tho'.

Alex, did you pick up on this? how's it working out? Are you working a different backing for each verse, due to RJ's time variances or would it be better if I did a "squared up" version. I've been thinking of doing just such for jam situations. It's pretty hard to follow if you aren't very familiar with his oddities, which I know you are.

Mark M., Terry will be doing another house concert at my house on March 31. also a workshop in the afternoon, a Friday, BTW. Hope you can make this one . I'll make a formal announcement when I get back to Oaktown and we get the particulars sorted out.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal