collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I really liked it, but I don't ever want to do it again. - Mississippi John Hurt, after a ride through Manhattan on the back of Patrick Sky's motorcycle, liner notes to Complete Studio Recordings

Author Topic: Mississippi Blues String Band Style from PT  (Read 2048 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Mississippi Blues String Band Style from PT
« on: August 14, 2005, 07:33:58 PM »
Recorded with a single mic and minidisc recorder in the living room of # 15 Officer's Row, the day after we performed it at the student concert. I'm singing and playing the William Brown arrangement on my '30 National Style O, Pyrochlore is playing an arrangement he based on Otto Virgil's You'll Like My Lovin' (taught to us by John M last summer) on his early '30s black top L-00, Cyotegulch is playing his John Dodson (Slack) built cigarbox mandolin and Desperate Stevens is holding down the rhythm on a vintage National blue enamel washboard played with bamboo twig brushes.

Sleep deprivation was high at this point, which made for some truely unconscious playing. Shelley claimed to have drifted off and woken up still playing in an earlier take, but she's pretty inspired here, eh?

All for now,
John C
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Mississippi Blues String Band Style from PT
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 07:50:53 PM »
Mighty fine... y'awl really are cookin'!

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 08:05:30 PM »
Well, that sure takes me back to Port Townsend. I believe I heard this once or twice. ;) 

Sounds good guys. JohnC, one thing I've noticed (not just in this take) is you're looser on the vocals than you used to be with this one. Less of an arrangement, more going with the flow of the tune. Which is much more preferable IMO.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 12:45:47 AM »
Cool  8) Nice harmonies goin on between the guitars. Great feel. Could be a hit.

PiedmontBlues

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 03:09:21 PM »
Mississippi Blues is one of my favorites and this version is very nice. Good job!

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 06:45:46 PM »
Hey, thanks, Valerie.

And thanks for getting me to listen to this again, which I haven't in a while. It's really great to hear it with some distance. I think everybody did a terrific job pulling that together in a week, sleep deprevation and all.-G- It's amazing what a solid week of playing music can do for your music playing, and your spirit.

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 12:15:58 PM »
Wax:
Cruisin the WC pages today for the first time in a long time: this sounds great to me.

I will save this to my desktop and practice it, playing along, to stay in practice for the tune. I love the tune, true 'nough.

All best, Miller
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal