collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It takes a big-mouthed man to be a preacher - Willie Moore, delta musician and friend of Son House

Author Topic: American Epic PBS  (Read 9561 times)

Offline CF

Re: American Epic PBS
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2017, 07:54:16 AM »
Part III was fantastic, best of the bunch. Wait til you see the MS Hurt footage
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »
Ain't that the truth. The Mississippi John Hurt part starts at about the 55:00 minute mark:

http://www.pbs.org/video/3001259325/

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »
I agree. Best of the 3 episodes. I was fascinated by all of the different sections. Hawaiian lap guitar section was fantastic! And I thoroughly enjoyed the part about Lidya Mendoza. I had never heard her music before, but today I can't stop listening to Mal Hombre.

There were several John Hurt clips that were totally new to me. The performances were all gems, but I got a kick out of the one interview clip of him backstage of the folk festival while Dylan can be heard performing in the background. Really neat.

I only wish there were 3 more episodes to come.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2017, 01:27:09 PM »
I'm interested in what they will be doing re: their "Education and Archives" project:

http://www.americanepic.com/education-and-archive

Hopefully, they will have both the financial resources and people with the level of expertise that will allow this to be an ongoing, quality project.

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2017, 07:04:40 PM »
Stuart- Thanks for the heads up on the "Education and Archives" project. I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Howdy!
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2017, 10:29:59 AM »
I just received the 5 CD soundtrack with a 94 page book. The book is 8.25 inches (21 cm.) hardcover square bound on high quality glossy paper. Most of the photos are familiar ones, and the Son House photo is a rediscovery one, not the previously unknown one from the Paramount period used in the film. A nice package but, like the series, aimed at newbies, not veterans of this material. There is significant overlap with the Harry Smith Anthology in artist selection and, in some cases, song selection also. For example, of the large amount of material recorded by Bascom Lamar Lunsford, they chose "I Wish I Was a Mole in the Ground." But they generally tried to use other songs, for example "Blues in the Bottle" by Prince Albert Hunt replacing the Anthology selection "Wake Up, Jacob." Excellent sound quality, but probably not enough new material to attract veterans of old time music at the price ($50.00).

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2017, 12:45:11 PM »
Thank you for the hands-on review, Gilamesh. One of our local libraries has it on order, so hopefully I'll be able to eyeball it in the flesh before long.

I'm sure that the price will come down somewhat once the newness wears off. And my guess is that in a year or two it will be part of the perks offered during the PBS pledge drives.

Like you say, $50 isn't exactly small change for music that many of us already own or is available on YouTube, etc. However, if it means supporting PBS, at some point I might be tempted.

Offline CF

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2017, 06:38:42 AM »
Hello Gilgamesh, are you saying the 1929 photo of Son House with parasol & friend is not in the book? I heard it was a full page print?!

There are only so many 78s by certain artists that already sound pretty good. American Epic probably made sure they took the already good sounding 78s & mastered them to make em sound even greater.
I agree, I have everything on this set, & in good sound from other sources so only a great sale will have me buying

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2017, 08:54:32 AM »
CF: I believe Gilamesh was referring to the book that comes with the 5 CD set, not the "Companion Book" to the series in which the "Son House With Girlfriend" photo appears on page 118 as a full page photo. (I have it right here.)

Offline CF

« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2017, 09:01:08 AM »
Good to hear Stuart, I will want the book, eventually, for that lovely photo.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Howdy!
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »
Hello Gilgamesh, are you saying the 1929 photo of Son House with parasol & friend is not in the book? I heard it was a full page print?!

There are two books: one that comes with the CD box set, which is 94 pages, and the separate book entitled American Epic: The First Time America Heard Itself by Bernard MacMahon et al., which is 288 pages with illustrations, including the early Son House photo that has never been published until now.

Offline CF

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2017, 12:14:15 PM »
Thanks G!
Could you tell me if there is a recording date listed for Son House's performance of My Black Mama on Disc 4? Thanks

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2017, 12:46:36 PM »
I don't have the CD set, but the songs on the American Epic YouTube channel sound like the May 28, 1930 recordings.

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »
I don't have the CD set, but the songs on the American Epic YouTube channel sound like the May 28, 1930 recordings.

I suspect CF is wondering whether the American Epic materials address the question, raised by Alex van der Tuuk, regarding the accuracy of the May 28 date. It seems that many of the Paramount recording dates from around this time are debatable. Alex van der Tuuk writes, in part, regarding the Son House sessions:

"Son House?s test of 'Walking Blues' has the information 9/2 #2 written on the label, this indicating a late August 1930 session date, as was already strongly suggested by House?s 'Dry Spell Blues,' which was based on the drought of that year."

More of his research on this can be found here:  http://www.mainspringpress.com/nyrl-L.html
Jeff

Offline CF

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2017, 03:06:11 PM »
Thanks Stuart & JPeters . . . yes, I was wondering if they were on board with Van Der Tuuk's revised dating. Thanks so much for the link JP, I've been wanting to find out more about it & haven't seen this yet. Coincidentally, I've been reading van der Tuuk's "Rise & Fall" all day, cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal