collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm happier than a hand in a barrel of tits! - Sam Mitchell, expressing his feelings about the PTCBW experience

Author Topic: Anyone here play the Wash Tub Bass?  (Read 4876 times)

koaguitarman

Anyone here play the Wash Tub Bass?
« on: February 23, 2005, 01:10:41 PM »
I have been playing Wash Tub Bass since the late '60s early '70s. Boy are my arms tired!
I still perform a couple times a month in a group.
Let me know, all you players out there in Weenie Land.
Russ

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
Re: Anyone here play the Wash Tub Bass?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 01:54:19 PM »
Hi. I play the Washtub bass. In fact, I think we've corresponded by email once or twice before. Kahuna Cowboys, right? We missed you guys at Jugfest last October.

I've been playing (and building) Washtub Basses since the late '60's and I too, perform a couple times a month.

My current main tub, is a Birdsely Bucket (so named because it was designed by the late, Banjoist and Washtub Bassist, Joy Birdsley). It's a 5 gallon, plastic paint bucket with a broom handle and weed whacker cord, but the most distinctive feature is the hourglass-shaped stand which elevates it off the ground a little, but also serves as a resonator, much like the kind on the backs of banjos.

I also have a couple of huge Sears Galvanized tubs with a G string from a doghouse bass, but the Birdsley Bucket is my favorite.

Best,
Mike

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 04:26:55 PM »
HI Russ,

I don't play one but have a buddy about 4 hours from here that does.  He is an engineer for McDonald Observatory and a serious washtub player - in fact he has been to the Port Townsend workshop twice.  He uses Mexican galvanized tubs - they are a little larger in diameter - and works the tops to get rid of overtones.  He uses the largest froe handle you can buy and a Porsch cable (no joke) for his string.  He plays by standing on the tub and leans in using his shoulder to change pitch.  He's got more than an octave range and is one scale lower than a double bass.  You feel this thing right in your chest -- I keep telling him he needs to stick a pace maker warning on his tub.  Here is a link:

http://cheyennecowboysymposium.com/p_washtubjerry.htm

chers,
slack

koaguitarman

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 04:49:06 PM »
Hi. I play the Washtub bass. In fact, I think we've corresponded by email once or twice before. Kahuna Cowboys, right? We missed you guys at Jugfest last October.

? I've been playing (and building) Washtub Basses since the late '60's and I too, perform a couple times a month.

? ?My current main tub, is a Birdsely Bucket (so named because it was designed by the late, Banjoist and Washtub Bassist, Joy Birdsley). It's a 5 gallon, plastic paint bucket with a broom handle and weed whacker cord, but the most distinctive feature is the hourglass-shaped stand which elevates it off the ground a little, but also serves as a resonator, much like the kind on the backs of banjos.

? I also have a couple of huge Sears Galvanized tubs with a G string from a doghouse bass, but the Birdsley Bucket is my favorite.

Best,
Mike

Hi Mike,
Good to see you here. Yes it is me Russ from the Kahuna Cowboys, and we missed seeing everyone @ the Jugfest.
As you have seen before;  I use an old galvanized No. 3 tub, a "D" string from an upright bass, and an oak hoe handle. Have you see or played one of these:

Go here to see them:
http://members.aol.com/gravikord/bass.html
These look like they would be fun.
Do you have any photos of your Birdsely Bucket? If so please post or email it to me.
Keep in touch Mike.
Bye,
Russ

koaguitarman

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 05:08:47 PM »
HI Russ,

I don't play one but have a buddy about 4 hours from here that does.? He is an engineer for McDonald Observatory and a serious washtub player - in fact he has been to the Port Townsend workshop twice.? He uses Mexican galvanized tubs - they are a little larger in diameter - and works the tops to get rid of overtones.? He uses the largest froe handle you can buy and a Porsch cable (no joke) for his string.? He plays by standing on the tub and leans in using his shoulder to change pitch.? He's got more than an octave range and is one scale lower than a double bass.? You feel this thing right in your chest -- I keep telling him he needs to stick a pace maker warning on his tub.? Here is a link:

http://cheyennecowboysymposium.com/p_washtubjerry.htm

chers,
slack
Hi slack,
What a small world we live in and Jerry is one great guy.  Here is Washtub Jerry and myself playing in Tucson 11/04 with the group I'm in, the Kahuna Cowboys Jug Band. We were doing "Dueling Wash Tubs". Tell Jerry hi for me and let him know we are going to be @ Tuscon in 2005. Hope he will be there, also.

Russ
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 05:10:59 PM by koaguitarman »

Offline Mike Billo

• Howdy!
    • Mike Billo
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 06:13:39 PM »

Here's a picture of the Birdsley Bucket. Very small and portable, but puts out as much sound with as rich a tone as any Washtub Bass I've ever heard. This owes to the unique Resonator  (not really so unique, just a copy of the average banjo resonator) on which it stands.

That Whalebone Bass looks cool. I tried making a washtub bass out of a bass drum once put could only get kind of an indistinct roaring sound, rather than a defined note. Maybe the designers of the Whalebone Bass are on to something that I missed in my construction.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 07:13:05 PM »
HI Russ, great pic - it is a small world - especially when it comes to tub players! ;)

cheers,
slack

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 08:14:20 PM »
Good to see Jerry again!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal