collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I know I am a prisoner but I always want to be free - Charley Jordan, Raidin' Squad Blues

Author Topic: Waiting for a train  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Waiting for a train
« on: October 29, 2010, 09:37:02 AM »
Here we go, I have loved this song since I got a 78 of it about 40 years ago  :-X

I don't pretend to do it justice, more injustice I suspect  ;D It has turned into something of challenge since I have endeavoured to solo above the 12 fret using as many slants as possible, you can't say I don't try and surely this is what old back porch is for!

For the technically minded it's on a 70s Dobro in high bass GBDGBD, but the interesting thing (is this interesting? Ed.) is that I'm using most of Bashul Brother Oswald's string sizes, meaning the bottom 2 strings are now two 42's and not a 42 and 52, the difference being that the thinner sixth string has really opened up what previously sounding quite choked.

Low-fi as ever to get it on the board. Best of luck.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline colm kill paul

Re: Waiting for a train
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 01:22:09 AM »
Richard,  Great post and fine slide playing. I wouldn't pretend to understand the technical nuances but it all sounded great! Good Job. Colm

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 03:22:34 AM »
Lovely swinging solo, really nice. Your best playing yet.

No yodel though........ John Jackson did a great imitation of the yodel on the guitar, maybe that's worth a crack?

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 06:14:35 AM »
Your best playing yet.

I concur!

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 04:01:37 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate your kind comments.

I suppose I was trying to show that outside good old CBW, Black Ace and Oscar there is whole raft of stuff just waiting for me to butcher it! Besides, having had a brain numbing lap\slant mastercalss recently I thought it was time to turn practice into an mp3. Certainly not to move but to move on and leave blues behind, but to move sideways and broaden my playing. I only wish my singing would progress at the same rate!

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 02:47:24 AM »
Keep up the good work, boy!

Glad to hear your recent encounter with the formidable JC Grimshaw served to inspire and did not encourage you to toss your guitar into the Solent. See what I mean when I said he's easily the best lap slide player in the country? And that's not mentioning his scary skills on lead and bottleneck guitars, mandolin, ukulele, harmonica and drums.... I'll see if there's any chance of a special guest appearance at Euroweenie 2011 - and by his sister, Angelina.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 09:40:39 AM »
I have emailed him as he was keen to know, I am assuming other forces (that being you!) will be in touch with Angelina...

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 02:18:42 AM »
I have emailed him as he was keen to know, I am assuming other forces (that being you!) will be in touch with Angelina...

Already done!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal