collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

I'm goin' to Cincinnati, the times is good, I'm goin' to Cincinnati where they eat fried food. And I'm goin' to Cincinnati, boys, where the liquor bottle is good - Walter Coleman, I'm Gong To Cincinnati

Author Topic: Garfield Akers - Jumpin' and Shoutin' the Blues  (Read 920 times)

bayrum78

Garfield Akers - Jumpin' and Shoutin' the Blues
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:06:18 PM »
Here's another work in progress. I reposted the song today on YouTube after fine tuning it a bit. There are still a couple of rough spots, but they aren't as glaring as before. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Thanks for listening!

Offline Michael Cardenas

• traditional Blues singer & slide guitarist
    • Myspace
Re: Garfield Akers - Jumpin' and Shoutin' the Blues
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 05:47:21 AM »
That's some fun, the vocal gets me tapping and puts me in the mind of something like Roscoe Holcomb.
LISTEN TO BLUES MUSIC

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 06:59:06 AM »
Yeah! Love it. I notice in listening to the original, his rhythm sounds just a little different. I would have to listen some more but I think he varies his bass a bit more. Rather than alternating 5th - 4th - 5th - 4th, coming off the vocal line he often sounds like he hits 5th - 5th - 5th - brush. Then he sometimes follows that by laying off the bass on the second beat: 5th - rest in bass - 5th - 4th. So when he goes back into the alternation under the vocal, it emphasizes the groove a bit more. It's kinda subtle, and I'm not sure I've got it quite right or explained it well.

Totally cool song.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 10:25:19 AM »
Hi Nate,
I also enjoyed your performance.  I would say, vis a vis Garfield Akers' performance of the song, that yours has a real different rhythmic feel--and that's not a bad thing, just different!  I'm all for difference and re-interpretation of songs except in instances where one is purposely trying to capture the very way the original performance was played.  I tend to very much like re-interpretation of someone's material in accordance with the re-interpreter's way of hearing and feeling things.  I would put Isaiah Nettles' "So Cold In China" in this category.  The re-interpretation often ends up sounding stronger than an attempt to copy exactly would.  Of course, it's fun to hear somebody absolutely nail the way an earlier performer played what he or she played, too.
All best,
Johnm

bayrum78

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 01:05:48 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I have to admit I would like to get the fidelity as close as possible at least on the guitar. I'm not interested in exactly reproducing every little variation but I would like to capture the piece at least in essence - especially the rhythm structure because that is what makes the song so driving/compelling.

I'm going to take this song back to the woodshed and see if I can do better. I play music mostly by feel but I am most interested in extending my ability to formally analyze it in order to get it right. If I introduce variation I want it to be by intention not a result of incapacity.

Sincerely,
Nate

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal