collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I didn't like the way he sang. He was my brother, but he just had a way (Sings) 'Saddle up my pony, hook up my black maaaaare...' I didn't like that!... Now he picks good, but he just brings that song out, like there's somebody choking to death - Sam Chatmon on Charley Patton, from Giles Oakley's The Devil's Music, BBC

Author Topic: Rory Gallagher  (Read 7540 times)

Offline Mike Brosnan

Re: Rory Gallagher
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 11:14:38 PM »
i dig the acoustic and the electric stuff.

WARNING: do NOT watch/listen to this if you're an audio/video connoisseur.  nothing too profound.  just an older rory trying to connect the dots between blues and celtic music on a (harmony?) 12 string.  followed by a bunch o' pics an' a couple more tunes including "when i was a cowboy" (with tabla?/mrindangam?).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 12:59:59 AM by brosna »

Offline Annette

• Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 12:57:09 PM »
I loved Rory too!

Particularly this:

Probably the first time I ever saw someone play mandolin (I knew of Yank Rachell and Johnny Young but had never seen anyone play one)!

Annette
Annette

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 06:54:30 PM »
Very cool. It was so long ago, I can't recall ever seeing him play mando so that was a revelation, some great chord melody going on there I must try and figure out.

Rory always had this infectious joyous passion for old country blues, not to mention a superb voice, and live he was one of the great natural musical communicators. I miss him.

The other two members of Taste in that clip seem to be caught on the back foot, until the drummer finally gets on the kick drum back beat. They both seem surprised and attentive so I reckon it might have been spontaneous and unrehearsed. Excellent, thanks.

Offline Annette

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 07:52:21 AM »
I saw Rory play Going to my Hometown 3/4 times - and Gerry McAvoy and Wilgar Campbell both always played it the same way!

Rory bought me a drink once (pint of Guinness of course) I was a steward at the Crystal Palace Bowl concert and was despatched to find an errant child that belonged to a friend of his. I was only 16 at the time so was somewhat in awe of him - but he seemed a nice genuine - amazingly modest guy.

At the same gig I refused Bernie Taupin entry at the gate because he'd forgotten his back stage pass....

There are some arrangements of Going to my Hometown here:

and:

And a discussion here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?46690-does-anyone-know-im-going-to-my-hometown

Annette x
Annette

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »

They both seem surprised and attentive so I reckon it might have been spontaneous and unrehearsed.

Rivers, it does have that feel but as I looked at mic set up especially for the mando (Rory knocks it off it's stand at 3.53 approx) I began to doubt if it was unrehearsed. Then I noticed the drummer is on his hi hat for the intro, then  I noticed how the band let the intro build itself up into the first verse ....and began to think this is very carefully rehearsed to give a very spontaneous feel. I guess that's show business folks!

Annette thanks for posting this clip up. Brute, force & ignorance was about all I had heard of RG (appropriately) but this is something else! Brilliant! I think I'll burn my guitar and take up golf! I could never come close to a performance like this. He is amazing. Great personal memory you have to treasure there of getting to share a pint with Rory. It is sad he died so young. Colm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »
Rehearsing in order to appear under-rehearsed, love the concept. I'm a natural, don't have to rehearse that whole under-rehearsal thing.

Thanks for the instructional vids Annette, as a beginning mandolinist they were very helpful. He needs to work on his vibrato though.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:36:12 PM by Rivers »

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 11:05:43 PM »
Rivers, I think you'll have to man up here and admit that the idea that Rory Gallagher, on a recording for German television, abandoned the planned set and launched into an unrehearsed mandolin tune holds little credibility. Especially since Annette confirms that he always performed this acoustic number in this way. Colm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »
I have no clue either way. Depends on the dates I guess.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal