collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Turpentine is all right, providing that wages are good, but I can make more money now, out somewhere choppin' cordwood - Tampa Red, Turpentine Blues

Author Topic: Jesse Fuller new release and more in Roots and Rhythm  (Read 1968 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Jesse Fuller new release and more in Roots and Rhythm
« on: December 02, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »
The latest bulletin from Roots and Rhythm (Nov/Dec 2009) has several items of interest (well, there's always items of interest but...).

Jesse Fuller - Move On Down the Line (Fledg'ling 3074). 12 tracks. Jesse Fuller's earliest recordings from 1954 done for World Song, first time on CD, plus 6 1965 recordings done for Topic. Leapfrogs to the top of my wishlist.

Perhaps Peter Lowry can fill us in on Texas Guitar - From Dallas to L.A. (Friday Music 1121), a CD reissue of Atlantic 7226. I know nothing about this release, just bring it up because it says Peter's original liner notes are reproduced in Lilliputian type. Mostly "urban blues" but eight tracks from "superb country blues singer William Houston" who is said to be "a little like Lil' Son Jackson."

And just noting that part of Roots and Rhythm's JSP sale includes the Frankie Lee Sims/Mercy Dee Walton set that Johnm has been working through lately on the forum. On sale for $16.98.

Scroll down this page for more: http://rootsandrhythm.com/roots/rr_latest.htm
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:16:52 PM by uncle bud »

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Jesse Fuller new release and more in Roots and Rhythm
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:02:22 AM »
Stefan's discography http://www.wirz.de/music/fullefrm.htm provides the liner notes the 10 inch World Song (1955) and the later 1965 Topic LP "Move On Down The Line". I had a feeling these have been the subject of discussion before but can't locate.....

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 06:21:20 AM »
I thought we'd at least discussed the Topic record too, though when I checked the Jesse Fuller tags nothing came up. I'm sure it's here somewhere.

I really look forward to hearing this one. Frank Scott calls it "essential", notes there is a superb version of John Henry and possibly Fuller's best San Francisco Bay Blues. The CD includes one track not released on the Topic LP.

For those interested in female blues singers, there is a Rosa Henderson compilation listed in the R&R bulletin which has perhaps been listed but that I haven't noticed before, spiffily entitled "1923-1931", with backup from Fletcher Henderson bands, The Four Musical Blackbirds, the Three Hot Eskimos, and Fats Waller and James P. Johnson. "Superb sound, detailed notes, full discographical information". Looks tempting. This is on the Retrieval label, 79016.

Also listed is Rev. Jasper Williams, "I Fell in Love with a Prostitute". A recorded sermon, Scott says it's "A fun CD to leave lying around the coffee table when company comes."

Offline oddenda

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:01:21 PM »
At the time of release, that Texas album was Jimmy Page's favorite! Just goes to show... some have good taste. The "country" sides are by Lawyer Houston (a/k/a Soldier Boy Houston). Still a good compilation, though.

Peter B.

Offline daveharrisonemanband

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:57:36 PM »
A welcome release and an interesting one, as it documents his first and basically last recordings. By the way, does anyone have the Fulbright recordings of Jesse from the early 50's. There were two songs, "Listen Mr Fireman" (fantastic) and "San Francisco Bay Blues" (not a good version - poor mix and sound)? The reason I ask: I've listened over and over and it sounds like there is drums and maybe bass backing him (could be the fotdella). Chris Bentley insists not (on the Diving Duck LP release), saying it's just Jesse and his feet, but it sounds like a snare drum in there and Jesse wasn't known to use one. If they are accompanied these would be the only tracks of this kind in his recorded legacy. Trying to decide on this for the one man band book. By the way, my favourite track on the release is "Move on Down the Line", a new Fuller original, at the time (1965).

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 11:48:34 AM »
A welcome release and an interesting one, as it documents his first and basically last recordings. By the way, does anyone have the Fulbright recordings of Jesse from the early 50's. There were two songs, "Listen Mr Fireman" (fantastic) and "San Francisco Bay Blues" (not a good version - poor mix and sound)? The reason I ask: I've listened over and over and it sounds like there is drums and maybe bass backing him (could be the fotdella). Chris Bentley insists not (on the Diving Duck LP release), saying it's just Jesse and his feet, but it sounds like a snare drum in there and Jesse wasn't known to use one. If they are accompanied these would be the only tracks of this kind in his recorded legacy. Trying to decide on this for the one man band book.
I have them on the 1976 PVine double LP, Mr Fulbright's Blues. but ashamed to say that I haven't listen to it since day of purchase (a bargain at ?8.95). I'll give it a spin and report back my impressions, for what they are worth.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:36:39 AM »
I have them on the 1976 PVine double LP, Mr Fulbright's Blues. but ashamed to say that I haven't listen to it since day of purchase (a bargain at ?8.95). I'll give it a spin and report back my impressions, for what they are worth.
Having now listened through headphones, sounds to me like a hi-hat the two cymbals of which aren't making proper contact and vibrating causing a brushes-on-snare type effect. Who knows? All you can do is put forward the theories and leave it at that.

Quality of the "Bay Blues" acetate supplied to PVine on tape is nearing atrocious. Diving Duck would have dubbed from that LP and would have degraded the sound quality a step further.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:39:33 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline daveharrisonemanband

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 01:52:54 PM »
[quote/]Having now listened through headphones, sounds to me like a hi-hat the two cymbals of which aren't making proper contact and vibrating causing a brushes-on-snare type effect. Who knows? All you can do is put forward the theories and leave it at that.

Quality of the "Bay Blues" acetate supplied to PVine on tape is nearing atrocious. Diving Duck would have dubbed from that LP and would have degraded the sound quality a step further.
[/quote]

Thanks, it's a good theory and like you say, that's all we have, theories, at this late date. I still think this is a trio or duo. I've been immersing myself in Fuller's music and these sound different (and not just the sound). Could be a contributing factor on "San Fran Bay", where the harp mic is too quiet (and vocal) and murky (poorly recorded too, probably). Keeping up with live bass and drums may have caused Jesse to turn up his guitar as compensation. "Listen Mr Fireman" sounds much better, so I suspect the engineer made some adjustments.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal