collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm a greedy glutton, eat fifty times a day. When I'm around a pigpen, they hide the slop away - Me And My Tapeworm, Sylvester Weaver 1927

Author Topic: later gus cannon recordings, interviews?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline SassySam

later gus cannon recordings, interviews?
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »
I have heard that Mr cannon recorded extensively later in life, but have never found anything beyond the stax album, walk right in.  Any hints on where to find this stuff?  Or am i chasing a myth?
Thanks!

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: later gus cannon recordings, interviews?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:49:21 PM »
All I know about: There are some tracks on "American Skiffle Bands" from Folkways, as well as an album from a party that features Cannon, Will Shade and Charlie Burse -- I have that on a Wolf LP, I believe, but I think it's out on CD. There are some short interviews on these albums, but frankly the music is, IMO, far below the pre-war standards of any of the performers, totally understandably.

I would like to know if the Friends of Old-Time Music Concert with Cannon, Furry Lewis and Memphis Willie B. was recorded, as most of those concerts seem to have been. Nothing from that has been release on either of the Folkways FOTM sets, although there are pictures around.
Chris

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:50:54 PM »
Gus Cannon discography by date of release here. Post war recordings few and far between as you'll see.

http://www.wirz.de/music/cannofrm.htm

Offline Tom Rushen

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »
The Genes CD  "On The Road Again" with Furry Lewis and Bukka White has 2 Gus tracks recorded late 60s, worth seeking out. Originally issued on Adelphi on vinyl in the early 70s with 1 Gus track...it's a good album overall.

Offline RB

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:20:06 PM »
You folks know about these Cannon snippets on YouTube, don't you?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:00:42 AM »
Thanks for the reminder of that, RB. I'd seen it myself, but not in a long time, and not since my own interest in Gus's banjo playing was cranked up. It's a shame the clips of him playing are so short, of course. Wouldn't it be great if those who shot the footage still had it, in an unedited state, and we got to see more one day.

Worth pointing out that the footage at the end shows Gus playing a mix of clawhammer and fingerpicking styles. Not much clawhammer made it onto his released recordings.

Tags: Gus Cannon banjo 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal