collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I never could hardly learn no music by nobody trying to show me... - Fred McDowell

Author Topic: Music Trade Review 1880-1954  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Music Trade Review 1880-1954
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
Fortunately even a one time post can stir enough curiosity that it results in an increase in the sum of weenie knowledge.

I quite wanted to read that article though. I suspect that "The Origin and Growth of the Guitar, Mandolin and Banjo Industry in America" is probably not as academic in content as it might sound however. I hope to be pleasantly surprised when it finally turns up.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 11:08:55 PM »
My son brought home Jeff Noonan's books from the UW this evening. I only had a chance to quickly glance through parts of them, but one thing that caught my eye was a mention that some materials (not Post's article specifically) were only available from private collections. Hopefully at some point they will be scanned and digitized, and made accessible and available to a wider readership.

As it is an ongoing publication that focuses on the current state of the industry, the people responsible for publishing "The Music Trades" at some point most likely just left the past behind--maybe very early on. But we can always hope that somewhere, somehow various people held on to every issue over the years and that they will all eventually surface.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:33:43 AM by Stuart »

Offline danielus

• Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »
Dear Rivers,

Thank you very much for all information!! I focus on other sources and not remembered back to this forum, I'm really sorry.

And please, sorry for my delay in answer. I am indebted to you all the good information that I have given generously to this great forum!

Dani

You've probably already seen this Dani but I found an obituary piece for Charles N. Post, former head of Lyon & Healy, dated 1923:

http://presto.arcade-museum.com/PRESTO-1923-1937/PRESTO-1923-1937-03.pdf

It's not the piece you are seeking but sometimes 'things' lead you to other things.

And welcome to Weenie Campbell.

Offline danielus

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 04:52:04 PM »
Hello Stuart!

I have this marvellous book (University Press of Mississippi, 2008 edition), but I dont kewn the AReditions, thanks!  Im researching about 19th. guitar music in United States since 2002, one time I emailed to Mr. Noonan but I never haven?t answer from him.
Thank you very much for your time!

Dani

My son brought home Jeff Noonan's books from the UW this evening. I only had a chance to quickly glance through parts of them, but one thing that caught my eye was a mention that some materials (not Post's article specifically) were only available from private collections. Hopefully at some point they will be scanned and digitized, and made accessible and available to a wider readership.

As it is an ongoing publication that focuses on the current state of the industry, the people responsible for publishing "The Music Trades" at some point most likely just left the past behind--maybe very early on. But we can always hope that somewhere, somehow various people held on to every issue over the years and that they will all eventually surface.
You've probably already seen this Dani but I found an obituary piece for Charles N. Post, former head of Lyon & Healy, dated 1923:

It's not the piece you are seeking but sometimes 'things' lead you to other things.

Offline danielus

• Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 04:55:07 PM »
Dear Mando,

Thank you very much for this reference. Its very useful for me!

Dani

Dani, you could also try and contact Karen Linn through the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress. She has cited tha article in question in her great book: "That Half-Barbaric Twang - The Banjo in American Popular Culture". Alternatively you could try to contact her through her publisher (University of Illinois Press).

Offline danielus

• Howdy!
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »

19th. american guitar music is my passion. Sorry again for my delay in answer. I promise you to contact with Karen Linn (LC) to try to unravel the mystery!

Thanks for all the clues!

Daniel

Fortunately even a one time post can stir enough curiosity that it results in an increase in the sum of weenie knowledge.

I quite wanted to read that article though. I suspect that "The Origin and Growth of the Guitar, Mandolin and Banjo Industry in America" is probably not as academic in content as it might sound however. I hope to be pleasantly surprised when it finally turns up.

Offline mr mando

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 12:23:11 PM »
Dear Mando,

Thank you very much for this reference. Its very useful for me!

You're welcome! Let us know what you find out.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal