collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Karaoke bars combine two of the nation's greatest evils: people who shouldn't drink with people who shouldn't sing - Tom Dreesen

Author Topic: 78 prices back in the day  (Read 488 times)

Offline oddenda

78 prices back in the day
« on: December 25, 2013, 03:03:48 AM »
          Having recently received the latest Tefteller calendar/CD, something jumped out at me. The "normal" retail price of 10" 78s was generally $0.75 (and that includes the sainted Paramount label). Blind Blake's recently recovered "Miss Emma Liza" is the "cover" ad for the 2014 calendar - there, Pm 13115 is listed as $0.50, a 1/3 drop in list price. An additional ad in the calendar shows $0.65 for "Future Blues"/"M&O Blues".

Other labels were also $0.75 as a rule, with "drug store" labels selling for less at their specific outlet(s). The change is indicative of The Great Depression's impact. Somehow or another, this bit of information eluded me until now! Granted, Bluebird from Victor listed at $0.35, but early releases were mainly reissues - Decca started up with the same list price from the git-go. I wonder when Paramount initiated this price change?

Both listed costs were a heavy packet of change back in the day and resulted in folks wanting to get their money's worth out of their purchases. Gayle Dean Wardlow once told me that his attitude when finding discs played until white when going door-to-door was "somebody sure liked that record"! How zen!!

pbl

Offline Tom Rushen

Re: 78 prices back in the day
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »
Given how very high the prices of 78s were back in the day, it likely isn't surprising that lower-income folks who bought the records would play them a lot, and the wear and tear on the discs would be especially acute in homes that only had a few records. Add in the reality of a tone arm on the Victrola that was heavy as a stone, it's a wonder these records play at all.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal