collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Q: What's the biggest problem with most troubled relationships? A: The other person

Author Topic: Precious Bryant has passed  (Read 727 times)

Offline harriet

Re: Precious Bryant has passed
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:14:28 AM »
I am a new fan of hers and am sad  to learn of her passing. :'(  Youtube has some footage of her, with some  in performance.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:03:03 AM »
Sad news. Condolences to her family and friends. Thanks for posting that article, Pan, that was a good one. I really enjoy the few Precious Bryant tracks I have, the ones recorded by George Mitchell, as well as the stuff on YouTube I've seen. I hadn't realized there was much more out there.

Here she is playing that big-ass guitar pictured in the article:

And here's Georgia Buck, which JohnM taught at Port Townsend:

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:07:24 AM by uncle bud »

Offline jrn

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
Seeing as how she wasn't that far away, I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of her. I really like her style. Gonna check out some more videos of Precious now!
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:37:12 PM »
Precious herself taught "Georgia Buck," as well as many other songs, at Port Townsend. Besides being a fine picker and soulful singer, she was always a dynamic performer with terrific audience rapport. She really strove to pull people into the music, and succeeded. She also was one of the last of the true traditional downhome blues performers -- growing up in the rural South and remaining there, learning from family members, playing and singing songs (even the ones she didn't write) based on the world she lived in. Also she was one of the few women (the late Etta Baker was another) singing and playing and living this music. Her death is sad not only for her family and friends, but for all of us.
Yes, if you seek out her recordings I recommend the folklorish ones and live concert tracks from before her "debut." Even though the rockabilly-ish band backed her sympathetically, her solo acoustic playing is (naturally, to me and probably to most readers of this board) better.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »
I'd forgotten she'd been to PT, before my time, I believe.

Which was her "debut"?

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 06:08:39 PM »
I believe it was my first year, 1997:

Port Townsend (360-385-3102). ''Port Townsend Country Blues Festival'': Big Joe Duskin, Jerry Ricks, Precious Bryant, Robert Lowery and Virgil Thrasher, Terry Robb, John Jackson, Howard Armstrong, Cephas and Wiggins, Del Rey, Steve James (June 27-28)

Offline Lyle Lofgren

• Lyle & Elizabeth Lofgren
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 07:09:16 PM »
Whoever took the video of her playing "Georgia Buck" was not a guitar player. It doesn't show what she's doing with her left hand.

Lyle

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »
I believe it was my first year, 1997:

Port Townsend (360-385-3102). ''Port Townsend Country Blues Festival'': Big Joe Duskin, Jerry Ricks, Precious Bryant, Robert Lowery and Virgil Thrasher, Terry Robb, John Jackson, Howard Armstrong, Cephas and Wiggins, Del Rey, Steve James (June 27-28)

Right, although if this was in response to my question I was actually asking about her debut record. Chezztone was recommending her "folklorish" recordings (the George Mitchell stuff?) from before her debut. But it's a little unclear to me what constitutes her debut. There's My Name is Precious from the Music Maker Foundation, then Fool Me Good and The Truth, both on Terminus Records. Fool Me Good has the earliest release date on Amazon.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »
Some clarification here: http://www.musicmaker.org/2013/01/blues-legend-precious-bryant-passes-away/

The story includes information about the family's request for help with burial costs in lieu of flowers.

Offline Chezztone

• Hey!
    • Steve Cheseborough 1920s-30s-style blues
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:33:54 AM »
Uncle Bud (and others interested in Bryant solo recordings): One CD you want is National Downhome Blues Festival Vol. 1. Recorded at an unfortunately one-time-only festival in 1984 in Atlanta, it features not only great live Bryant but also killer tracks from Lonnie Pitchford, Frank Edwards, Junior Kimbrough and Cephas & Wiggins.
Then there is In Celebration of a Legacy: The Traditional Arts of the Lower Chattahoochee Valley, which includes great field recordings of Bryant. Those are the CDs I would seek out! Cheers, SC

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Precious Bryant has passed
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »
Thanks, Chezz, good tips.

Tags: Precious Bryant 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal