collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

Wow - but Bessie Smith spills fire and fury in Hateful Blues on Columbia Record 14023D. Talk about hymns of hate - Bessie sure is a him-hater on this record. The way she tells what she is going to do with her "butcher" will make trifling fellows catch express trains going at 60 miles an hour. The music is full of hate too. You can almost see hate drip from the piano keys. Every note is a half-note. No quarter for anyone - Chicago defender ad, July 1924

Author Topic: Archie Lewis  (Read 585 times)

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Archie Lewis
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:03:30 AM »
Has anyone encountered this singer before? My guess is he was an older singer when recorded in 1933. Unusual material and a song that grows on you after a couple of listens!

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Re: Archie Lewis
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:54:56 AM »
I believe it's his only tune on record? I've heard Jerron Paxton do a version in the kitchen.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:58:43 AM »
It's an add to the "Adventures in F" thread, too.
All best,
Johnm

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 10:48:37 AM »
Archie Lewis recorded 3 songs for Champion in the Gennett studios on March 30, 1933.  Chicken went unissued.  Miss Handy Hanks was paired with Honey 'low Me One More chance on Champion 16677, but a copy has never been found.  We have Miss handy Hanks because it was paired with No No Blues by Willie Baker on Varsity 6069.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »
Great work, Professor.  You've uncovered additions to the Adventures in F and Missing 78s threads with one song!

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »
And that three-song repertoire would strongly suggest the perfesser's guess (which I agree with) is accurate. dj, I'd add Archie Lewis to the artists we wished we'd heard more of thread as well! Just this one tune and the missing songs make him a really interesting link to the early songster style we don't have nearly enough of.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal