collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

It's cool to change chords and all, but you really don't have to. - Corey Harris, teaching a workshop at PT 2009

Author Topic: Charlie Patton boxed set technical question  (Read 894 times)

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
Charlie Patton boxed set technical question
« on: April 13, 2012, 09:05:27 AM »
There are "hidden tracks" on the discs with the Charlie Patton boxed set, "Screamin' and Hollerin' the Blues", I think these are mostly (if not all) alternate unreleased takes of songs.  I know I was able to find these on my CD player at one time when I first got this set, but am now trying to find them by putting the disc into the computer, and can't figure it out.  On the CD player, I seem to remember that I could find them by pressing "rewind", but that's not working on my Mac laptop.  Any suggestions? 

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Charlie Patton boxed set technical question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »
I was going to suggest opening "Finder" and look at the various folders and/or .wav files on the CD =- but it looks like this might not work.  Here is a description of the 'problem', from a review.  so dunno what to tell you.

-------------
Four of the tracks Patton recorded during this second 1929 session have survived in alternate takes. Of course, they are included here, but in order to make your listening experience more enjoyable, they have been tucked away as bonus cuts, not at the end of the last track, as is customary, but before the beginning of the first track. To hear them, you insert the discs (there are two bonus tracks on Disc 2, two more on Disc 3), push Play, and then press and hold Rewind; your system will rewind to the beginning of Track 1. Then keep rewinding past it, until you get to the beginning of the hidden tracks. That's the theory of it, but it doesn't work on every CD player; in fact, both sound systems at home, plus my Discman and the built-in CD player in my computer, refused to do it because the Rewind function on them only skips track by track, settling to time 0:00 of every one. Only on a cheap "ghetto blaster" type of apparatus did I find a Rewind button that actually rewinds the songs (you hear the music "playing backwards," and when you get to a blank, you let go of the button, and Eureka, you've found the (very well) hidden tracks.

http://www.bluenight.com/BluesBytes/fk0302.html

Offline banjochris

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 01:07:37 PM »
I Googled around a bit on this. Apparently the hidden tracks (even for tracks beforehand) are usually hidden as part of one of the other tracks. If you can figure out which one, you might be able to change the start/stop time of the track in iTunes -- right-click the track, select Get Info and then go to "Options." If it is attached to an existing track you could copy the track in question, adjust the start/stop time on both and rename accordingly.

Also if you have the JSP set those takes are on there normally.
Chris

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »
Also if you have the JSP set those takes are on there normally.

There you go, another choice.  Hire a computer consultant to extract tracks for $80 or buy JSP set for $28.  ;D

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 05:17:15 PM »
You can buy the hidden tracks from iTunes for .99 each.  They're in the same position on the JSP disks as they are on the Revenant disks - the first two tracks on disks 2 and 3 (B and C in the JSP set).   

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
Too clever dj, the best choice!

Offline misterjones

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »
Try contacting the manufacturer.  I know someone who inquired (probably by e-mail) and they sent him a CD with the tracks on it . . . for free!  They were pretty quick about it, too.

Offline Great Bear

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 02:40:57 PM »
Up until the recent purchase of a Dell Vostro, none of my former or current laptops could see the hidden Revenant tracks. Unfortunately not all optical drives can read pregap tracks. Try a friends laptop and rip the songs to Flac.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal