collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You know, folks, I haven't been able to get this thing in tune all night. That's all right, though, it makes it sound like there's more of us - Del McCoury, still fiddling with the tuning of his guitar half-way through the second set of a concert

Author Topic: John Hurt Event  (Read 1430 times)

Offline bnemerov

John Hurt Event
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:41:35 AM »
Fellow Weenies,
This goes against my feelings about inflicting promotion on discussion boards such as this, but here goes:

Saturday, July 30th, will bring a book signing, CD release party, and concert to The Arts Center of Cannon County, a brave non-profit (who else would continue to release CDs in these times?) 35 miles south of Nashville.

Author Phil Ratcliffe is coming over from the UK in celebration of publication of Mississippi John Hurt: His Life, His Times, His Blues
Copies of the CD Discovery: Mississippi John Hurt, March 3, 1963 will be available for purchase as well. The concert will lean heavily on Hurt's tunes. My "brother" Gene Bush was a friend of John's in Mississippi and gets most of a chapter in Phil's book.

Here's the press release for anyone within striking distance who may wish to attend.
best,
Bruce

The Arts Center of Cannon County presents
Mississippi John Hurt Tribute Concert
Featuring the Fedora Bros.
Saturday, July 30 at 7:00PM

On Saturday July 30, 2011 the Arts Center of Cannon County will celebrate the release of a new CD and book commemorating the life of Mississippi John Hurt by hosting a release party and concert featuring the Fedora Bros. and a book signing by author Dr. Phil Ratcliffe. This all star evening begins at 7 o'clock with a pre-concert illustrated talk by Dr. Ratcliffe, author of the recently published University Press of Mississippi tome, Mississippi John Hurt: His Life, His Times, His Blues followed at 7:30PM with a concert featuring the Fedora Bros. with Bruce Nemerov and Gene Bush (himself a close friend and prot?g? of John Hurt). The participants will be on hand for a meet-and-greet and book signing after the show. Don't miss out on this unique opportunity. Ticket prices are $15 for adults and $12 for students, seniors and groups and may be purchased by calling the box office at 615-563-2787 Monday through Saturday from 10:00AM to 4:00PM or online at www.artscenterofcc.com.

The new CD Discovery: The Rebirth of Mississippi John Hurt documents the historic weekend in 1963 when Tom Hoskins, a guitarist and folk music enthusiast traveled to pay respects to his hero Mississippi John Hurt. Compelled by his love of Hurt's obscure 1928 78 RPM recordings, and driven by thin clues, Hoskins traveled to Avalon, Mississippi only to discover the man behind the fluid guitar picking and sonorous voice was still alive, and still able to sing and play the guitar. Hoskins spent the weekend with Hurt and his family, and recorded two hours of guitar picking, country blues, group singing and memories.  "Discovery" collects these performances and for the first time offers them to a mass audience.  With thoughtful liner notes by Phil Ratcliffe and Grammy winner Bruce Nemerov, "Discovery" captures original field work, extemporaneous music, and contains the excitement and warmth felt between two new friends, before Hurt's rise to the top of the 1960s American folk movement.

For this evening the Arts Center and Spring Fed Records are offering a very special package deal.  For the low price of $55, fans will receive an advanced copy of the CD (a $20 dollar value), a signed copy of Mississippi John Hurt: His Life, His Times, His Blues (a $30 value) and special reserved seating for the Fedora Brothers concert. 
Sponsored in part by The University Press of Mississippi, this unique concert and musical event in the Arts Center's Spring Fed Concert Series, is not to be missed. Come help us celebrate the life the times and the contributions of Mississippi John Hurt.

The Arts Center is located at 1424 John Bragg Highway, just west of the town of Woodbury, approximately 20 minutes from Murfreesboro, Manchester, and McMinnville and one hour southeast of Nashville. Office hours are 10:00a.m. to 4:00p.m., Monday through Saturday. ?The Kitchen? featuring fine southern cooking will be open before this performance.  For more information check our website at www.artscenterofcc.com or call 615-563-(ARTS) 2787 or 1-800-235-9073.

If You Go

Who:      Mississippi John Hurt Tribute
Where:                   The Arts Center of Cannon County, 1424 John Bragg Highway, Woodbury, TN
When:    July 30 at 7:00PM
Tickets:         $15 Adults $12 Student, Senior & Group

Founded in 1990, the award winning Arts Center of Cannon County is a unique model for rural arts organizations.  Situated in an under-served rural area in a town of 2,000 and a county of 12,000, The Arts Center annually attracts more than 40,000 visitors from a region covering over a 100-mile radius. Drawing on the blue-collar roots of its community, the organization focuses on self-sufficiency, fiscal responsibility and social entrepreneurship. The Arts Center is partially funded by the Tennessee Arts Commission, Southern Arts Federation and the National Endowment for the Arts.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: John Hurt Event
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 08:24:41 AM »
Bruce, inflict away. A worthy event!

I am behind in my book and CD purchasing, have to remember to order both of these.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 09:55:41 AM »
Wish I could go -- I could drive by Uncle Dave Macon's house on the way!

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 01:28:20 PM »
Not only the house, Chris, but his grave with its nice headstone and the Tilson lumber Co. and sawmill still in operation in Readyville. Old man T. was Dave's partner in the freight biz.

And just a 1/4 mile away is the house the family moved to from Nashville after Macon Sr. was murdered. Dave's Mom kept the big Victorian brick as a 19th C version of a B&B. It was a stage stop on the route from Knoxville to Nashville.
A teenage UDM played for the passengers when the statge rolled in....a kind of 19th C street musician, although with a captive audience.
But maybe you've seen all this?
best,
Bruce

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 01:48:21 PM »
I only wish I was closer...  break a leg, Bruce!

to Weenies at large: I highly recommend Bruce's CD, Zeno Dreamed - a personal wonderful take on country blues and old-time music - originals and moving interpretations of classic songs. I'm crazy about "Irish Hands" and the lining out of "Amazing Grace." Wonderful stuff.

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 06:16:41 PM »
Will do my best, Frankie.
Awaiting the Little Brothers rendition of "Irish Hands."
8:)
BN

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
Not only the house, Chris, but his grave with its nice headstone and the Tilson lumber Co. and sawmill still in operation in Readyville. Old man T. was Dave's partner in the freight biz.

And just a 1/4 mile away is the house the family moved to from Nashville after Macon Sr. was murdered. Dave's Mom kept the big Victorian brick as a 19th C version of a B&B. It was a stage stop on the route from Knoxville to Nashville.
A teenage UDM played for the passengers when the statge rolled in....a kind of 19th C street musician, although with a captive audience.
But maybe you've seen all this?
best,
Bruce

Neat! -- I didn't know the earlier house was still around or about his partner's sawmill. And sadly, I've never seen any of it in person, just his house and grave in pictures on the net. One day I'll get down there though...

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 07:07:41 AM »
I'm hope you enjoy both, Toby.
The CD is out now, though it won't make its way through the distribution maze (Amazon; CD Universe, et.al.) for a month or so. The finished product was delivered to the Arts Center on Saturday in time for the concert/book signing. Phil was in good form with a 40 minute power-point presentation and the Fedora Bros. played well to a nearly sold-out audience...a splendid time was had by all!
The CD turned out well, the 28 page booklet is handsome; the sound is good (from 60 year-old drug-store-quality tape recorded 1/4 track). Hurt sings verses to some songs that never appeared anywhere else and his comments and conversation (and wife Jessie's) are very interesting.
So, for the nonce, it's available from Spring Fed only:

http://www.artscenterofcc.com/recordstore/product_info.php?products_id=128

best,
Bruce

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal