collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

These are the hottest kinda dogs... I mean, they're steamin' puppies - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Hot Dogs

Author Topic: Old or New? "Mistreated Blues", "Slip Knot"  (Read 590 times)

Offline Dr. G

Old or New? "Mistreated Blues", "Slip Knot"
« on: February 22, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »
I would appreciate anybody's help determining the origins (and original versions, if there are any beyond the versions I have heard) of two of my favorite numbers done by semi-contemporary performers.

The first is "Mistreated Blues" (aka "JoAnn's Mistreated Blues") by the late JoAnn Kelly on her great LP with Woody Mann (who provides terrific guitar licks), JM, John Fahey, et al. The lyrics for this song are killer (and especially appealing to a psychiatrist like this writer!)...and, as previously opined, the guitar licks are extraordinarily creative (and fun to play).

It has the feel of an older song (perhaps sung by a male singer, with the lyrics adapted for the feminine slant on the 'It hurts so good' theme). But maybe JoAnn just really pulled it off with an original composition...?

The second song, "Slip Knot", is by Mark Spoelstra, a terrific bluesy 'protest' song from the '60's -- done with an extraordinarily hypnotic, driving 12-string guitar accomp featuring a recurring lick that sends chills down your spine. It's on Mark's debut Folkways album. He is a great -- and original -- fingerpicker (and very under-appreciated, to reference another thread on this forum).

This song sounds like Woodie Guthrie to me -- but I can find no "original" version or reference beyond Mark's recording. Is this another example of a great contemporary composition that simply succeeds in sounding old?

Any info or speculation appreciated!

Dr. G

Offline banjochris

Re: Old or New? "Mistreated Blues", "Slip Knot"
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
"Slipknot" definitely is Guthrie:

Kelly's song is a version of Clifford Gibson's "Tired of Being Mistreated".

Offline Dr. G

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:20:55 PM »
Thanks, Banjochris.

You continue to astound.

Dr. G

Offline banjochris

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:30:14 AM »
I don't know about that, but thanks!  :D

Tags:

anything