collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Pack your golf bag, you've had your fun. I've found another man who's made a hole-in-one. - Mamie Smith, Golfing Papa

Author Topic: Found a 78 - Georgia Crawl - Henry Williams and Eddie Anthony  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Shovel

Found a 78 - Georgia Crawl - Henry Williams and Eddie Anthony
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:30:49 AM »
I recently picked up a 78 of Georgia Crawl / Lonesome Blues at an Estate Sale ..

I didn't know exactly what it was when I picked it up but could tell it looked 'country bluesy' and had the magic 'electrical process' on there .. I wasn't that familiar with Howell's backup artists by name, nor did the song titles ring a specific bell in my head but definitely worth $1.

Well, a few weeks later, I've decided that Henry Williams absolutely had one of the best voices from the era .. and better than Howell's voice, imo.  These two songs are really fun.  And Eddie Anthony's fiddle was loosey goosey great. 

I was wondering if anyone could shed light on any other songs that Henry Williams sang lead on, besides these two sides? 

Feel free to share any 'good finds' regarding 78's as well.  I haven't seen too much talk about that kind of stuff on here but I enjoy reading about folks who dig for this kind of stuff, whether it was the early collectors from back in the 50's - 60's or modern day types.

Offline eric

Re: Found a 78 - Georgia Crawl - Henry Williams and Eddie Anthony
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 10:41:21 AM »
My best find was a George "Bullet" Williams Paramount at a rural flea market for 50 cents.  Only a couple of known copies.  There's still stuff out there, but it requires a great deal of effort and patience. 
--
Eric

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:15:10 AM »
I've got a couple of boxsets. One the JSP set on Atlanta Blues 4 cds, other is a complete recordings set of CDs for Pegleg Howell, I think they're Document records. They have about everything from this wonderful musical clan. There's also some excellent BIOs posted describing these guys and how they met, played, and some details. Some of the best vocals I have EVER heard ,bar none, for Ga blues is Curley Weaver in the late 40s Pig and Whistle Red recordings. Songs like Brown Skin Woman and others are profoundly rich. But yeah I love these guys too. As much for the character they have as any other quality.

Does someone have the link to those Ga blues BIOs by Jas?

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:39:57 AM »
The only 78 I have that would qualify as "country blues" - at least one side - is a British Parlophone "Sonny Terry Trio - Hootin? Blues". It was one of my first (I only have 2 dozens). I bought it from a British dealer tho who was actually specialized in rock?n?roll and sould records :)

Best find in the wild was a Sidney Bechet one, which led to my other non-country blues related musical love.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:42:38 AM by Blind Arthur »
You canīt trust your baby when the ice man comes hanging around :D

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:47:52 AM »
@ original poster, get the aforementioned 2 CDs by Document which reissue Peg Leg Howell and associates titles. Henry Williams and Eddie Anthony were part of "P.L.H. and his Gang"; you have their sole record they made without Howell (you lucky dog!). You can hear Henry Williams? vocal as a second viocal and with interspeared talks on the Peg Leg Howell "gang" (i.e. non-PLH solo rec?s) tracks.

And in 1930, a group including the two recorded more vaudeville blues-like numbers as "Macon Ed and Tampa Joe"; also on the Document set.

^^They may all also very well be on the JSP set and certainly elsewhere, too. Only the Macon Ed/Tampa Joe titles (for OKeh) are not that widely reissued; some titles appear on samplers. I remember having heard "Warm Wipe Stomp" on a local radio show even :)

Offline Shovel

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:10:42 AM »
My best find was a George "Bullet" Williams Paramount at a rural flea market for 50 cents.  Only a couple of known copies.  There's still stuff out there, but it requires a great deal of effort and patience.  

That's outstanding.  Was that recent?  (Roughly) where at?

Thanks for the information everybody.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:12:32 AM by Shovel »

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »
Blind Arthur, if as I dectect you are Bechet fan and from your profile living Germany could I suggest you look up a very old friend of mine who is a Bechet fanatic   :-X  also in Germany and has made a couple of quallity cd's to to prove it!

Send me a pm and I'll tell you more.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »
PM sent! :)

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal