collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
A lot of people say that the blues is just a feeling, but it's not; it's also a harmony system - Steve James, "Blues/Roots Guitar" instructional video

Author Topic: San Antonio Band c.1930  (Read 2067 times)

Offline my44solow

San Antonio Band c.1930
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:10:16 PM »
I found this photo about twenty years ago in a San Antonio antique store. It was in a large bowl of unframed misc. snapshots. The reverse side of the print is stamped: "Lewison's Studio,1071/2,West Commerce St.,San Antonio,TX". Urban removal eliminated that address years ago and no Lewisons are listed in area phone books .Some have suggested that one of the guitarists ( which one? ) is Little Hat Jones or Funny Papa Smith.
Our local paper refused to run the photo with a call to their reading public for help. Any ideas out there?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:12:46 AM by Slack »

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: San Antonio Band c.1930
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 06:26:32 PM »
Complicating this slightly is that I've always heard that the picture everyone thinks is Funny Paper (or Papa) Smith isn't really him -- maybe someone could enlighten us. That said, neither guitarist looks like that person to me, and the one picture I've seen of Little Hat Jones is a much thinner man in the face than either of these two.

However, and the odds are of course against this being the case, could it be a picture of the Dallas String Band? Isn't this their exact instrumental lineup? Has anyone ever seen a picture of Coley Jones?

Great picture whoever it is. Thanks for sharing.
Chris

Offline RB

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 05:28:43 AM »
It's a fine photograph, but it's upside down in my view of it.  Were there any other intersting ones when you found it? (Better phrased, what were the other photographs, ie what was the context?)

I think I recall seeing a photograph said to be Little Hat years ago and can't recall in which text that might have been.  Sometime recently I read--perhaps here, I don't know--that Little Hat lived in Sequin at one point which I think I would have recalled if I'd hear that previously.

I mention this partly because I was in Sequin--for the first time after wanting to go there for thirty years or more--and San Antonio this past October. 

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 06:39:33 AM »
Yes, thanks for this wonderful picture. I've reattached it right side up, I hope.

Chris's theory that it's possibly the Dallas String Band sure is interesting, right down to the bowed bass.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 06:46:40 AM »
I think I recall seeing a photograph said to be Little Hat years ago and can't recall in which text that might have been.  Sometime recently I read--perhaps here, I don't know--that Little Hat lived in Sequin at one point which I think I would have recalled if I'd hear that previously.
Blues & Rhythm 135 (July 1998) reprinted a 1962 local newspaper interview which was originally unearthed by Roy Bookbinder. There was an accompanying photo of George 'Little Hat' Jones. It's possible that this has been discussed here.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:20:55 AM »
Here's Little Hat:

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:22:12 AM »
Even if it's just a bunch of guys who got together to play at the local pool hall, it's a great picture.  Thanks for posting it.

Offline mr mando

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:34:27 AM »
It's hard to tell, but the mandolin (Gibson A) seems to be stringed with single courses only. Great picture, thanks for posting. I think I'm gonna print it and fix it to my wall.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 07:35:20 AM »
Here's Little Hat:
Someone's tinted it using PhotoShop or similar. Why not leave it in the original state it was published?  Moan, groan, grouch.

Online jpeters609

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 07:43:15 AM »
Hi my44solow,
Great picture, and very evocative of a bygone era. Your subject line indicates the photo is circa 1930 -- was there a date written on it? Or does an identification of the instruments give you a rough estimate?
Jeff

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 01:04:47 PM »
It's hard to tell, but the mandolin (Gibson A) seems to be stringed with single courses only. Great picture, thanks for posting. I think I'm gonna print it and fix it to my wall.

I think that's just the quality of the pic -- if you look up at the peghead it looks to me like all 8 of 'em are there.
Chris

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 03:56:48 PM »
Very cool photo!  Love the hats and cigar..and the seated gent is holding a rather large guitar for the time..maybe a jumbo or grand concert-size OS/Stella?  Tom

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 07:40:51 PM »
Could well be a young Little Hat Jones on the far right IMO, compare with UB's photo.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 12:43:23 AM »
Whoever it is, it sure is a great photograph. Interesting how our imagination is stirred by pictures of blokes playing guitars, mandolins, etc...
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 05:01:03 AM »
It is a great photograph. The dude with the cigar and the bassist are perfect. If it's fake it's a very good one, the backdrop looks authentic 1920s/30s. Re. Chris's post, I can't find any pics of Coley Jones or the Dallas String Band online or in a couple of books I've looked at.

[edited to add: when I mentioned the possibility of it being a fake I in no way wished to imply the original poster had faked it. To clarify, I was thinking it could have been faked before they acquired it. In fact, I don't think it's faked at all. I apologize for having created the wrong impression.]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 09:54:07 AM by Rivers »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal