collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

He played in all the keys with all his fingers - Baby Tate on Willie Walker, to Peter B. Lowry

Author Topic: R.I.P. Steve Mann  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
R.I.P. Steve Mann
« on: September 10, 2009, 03:34:31 PM »
Will Scarlett just called me to give me the sad news that the great guitarist Steve Mann has died.  He passed 2 nights ago, on Sept. 8.  I don't have any more information.

Stefan Wirz has a wonderful page about Steve Mann:

http://wirz.de/music/mann_frm.htm

I didn't meet him until the mid-1970s, by which time he was irrevocably messed up from drugs (I think mostly speed), but I had heard of him, and had heard his incredible recordings from the 60s. A great, great player in his day.

Suzy T.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: R.I.P. Steve Mann
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 06:01:57 PM »
Sad news, Suzy. I ran into Steve in a Peet's Coffee here in the Dimond about a year ago. He was living in Richmond with a young caretaker and the caretaker's GF. I spoke with them all for quite a while and they were all very copecetic. Nice folks who seemed really into caring for Steve and the music, too. Steve didn't seem in poor health, just in a somewhat confused state, like a mild dementia, but I'm no doctor. He bought his own coffee, just took him a while to get the right money. I'm surprised he passed. I heard him play a few times, at the Freight, Spud's and the last party at Steve's place (on Shattuck, I think, above Rose?). He could still play somewhat then, and his caretaker was taking lessons from him when I saw them.

A great one in his time.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Administrator
  • Rank amateur
Re: R.I.P. Steve Mann