collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Trying to remember something that just isn't there is right up my alley - Stuart

Author Topic: Chinese 78s???  (Read 1105 times)

Offline thecountryblues

• You ain't shit unless you can make 'em dance
    • www.thecountryblues.com
Chinese 78s???
« on: September 03, 2009, 03:19:31 AM »
I recently heard a scuttlebutt about a Chinese record plant that still pressed 78 vinyls the old way. Apparently, according to this heresy, they caught on to the fact that record collectors in Europe and America are paying huge money for some old blues and jazz records after they saw a Robert Johnson go for $5,000 on ebay (they sell for half that now after the recession hit, from what I can tell, but I don't collect expensive records).
Apparently, what they had allegedly done is scan the old labels from books or other sources, use the Columbia CD as the master, and press fake records.

I cannot find anything to substantiate this. If it were true, you would think these records would appear on ebay, but I have not seen any. Has anyone heard anything about this or seen any actual evidence?

If it were true, that would certainly put a crimp on ebay 78 sales, as anyone would be reluctant to buy by mail without being able to inspect and play the record.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:10:57 AM by thecountryblues.com »
FM
(no, not Frequency Modulation- Frank Matheis)

Offline phhawk

• Howdy!
Re: Chinese 78s???
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 09:39:38 AM »
I haven't heard about this but it wouldn't surprise me. People have been known to bid high amounts on records that are actually reissues, therefore...

I think that I would be reluctant to bid on blues records if the guy lives in mainland China. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if a nice batch of blues and jazz, somehow, made its way over there throughout the years.

Regards, Phil 

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
Re: Chinese 78s???
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 06:39:32 PM »
I don't know about 78s, but I received "The New Lost City Ramblers: 50 Years - where do you came from? where do you go?" CD set from Smithsonian Folkways today. Guess where it was manufactured?

As to Phil's point, there was a sizable ex-pat community living in the foreign concessions prior to the war with Japan. I'm sure that they had some of their favorite music from home. Whether or not the 78s that made up their collections survived the war, the communist takeover, the Cultural Revolution, etc., is another matter, however.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 06:41:56 PM by Stuart »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal