collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
We can hardly get our breath, taxed and schooled and preached to death. Tell me how can a poor man stand such times and live? - Blind Alfred Reed, 1929

Author Topic: 2010 Blues Images Calendar  (Read 2274 times)

Offline CF

2010 Blues Images Calendar
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:17:38 AM »
Don't know if this is kosher or not but there's some info over at the Blindman's Pre War Blues forum about Tefteller's latest calendar. Sounds like this could be the last one. Too bad.

http://blindman.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=33007

[attachment deleted by admin]
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Re: 2010 Blues Images Calendar
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 11:23:29 AM »
Don't know if this is kosher or not but there's some info over at the Blindman's Pre War Blues forum about Tefteller's latest calendar. Sounds like this could be the last one. Too bad.

http://blindman.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=33007

I certainly hope not. The last one was absolutely great.  :(

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »
Perfectly kosher. In fact I'd repeat the quote from Tefteller's introduction to this year's calendar:

"The economic mess is even starting to take its toll on this little Blues calendar business. We have slashed production on this year's calendar and if business does not pick up, we will not be producing a 2011 edition. The biggest problem is getting this calendar into stores so that new people can find it and buy it. We have a rock solid base of supporters who do buy each and every volume, but unfortunately there may not be enough of them to justify producing this calendar another year. For every year that we experience growth of sales on the internet and from our loyal customers, more music/record stores close down and business is lost. It is a vicious cycle and we are on the losing end of it. We'll hang in there as long as we can, but now is the time we must ask for your help. How can you help? If you can afford it, but these calendars as presents. Buy some of our other products too. If you can't afford more, just tell your friends about these calendars and show them one. Maybe they will buy one themselves. In other words, spread the word. Tell people what great blues songs you get to hear on our CD's -- tracks that appear nowhere else. Tell them about the sound quality of our CD's and how good these old battered and insanely rare records are made to sound with our special remastering techniques. If you know of a store that might carry these calendars, please call or email us and let us know".

There you go. All Weenies are encouraged to buy these. They are a steal, have a great CD, a no brainer. Just a reminder that you can order CDs from older editions as well.

Offline jostber

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:12:57 AM »
These calendars rocks! Got to get this one too.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 04:16:35 PM »
I understand that these calendars are on sale now:

http://www.bluesimages.com/html/product_html/back_page_2010.html

I'll attach a nice image of the calendar front.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jed

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 11:05:32 PM »
It's better now - when I went to get mine, the site brought up the 2009 calendar; they've repaired the basket link to list the 2010 calendar.  If this calendar didn't exist, I wouldn't know what day it was. 
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline jostber

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
These are also available from Red Lick.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »
I picked up my Blues Images calendar up yesterday at a local shop. The Death of Holmes' Mule has never sounded so good.

Quick impressions are that Ramblin' Thomas's Sawmill Moan is improved, as is Papa Charlie Jackson's Coal Man Blues. Ma Rainey's Slow Driving Moan even moreso - a different record altogether I'd guess.

Robert Wilkin's That's No Way to Get Along is less muddy, as is Skip James' Hard Luck Child. The Mississippi Sheiks' Crazy Bout Her Lovin' is also less muddy.

Frank Palmes' (surely Jaybird Coleman) Ain't Gonna Lay My 'Ligion is the most dramatically improved along with Ma Rainey's cut. Must be a different record, plus there is a second take of the song not previously released, I believe. Much cleaner than most/all of the Jaybird Coleman stuff out there.

The two Henry Townsend cuts, Doctor, Oh Doctor and Jack O' Diamonds - Georgia Rub are speed corrected, a semitone difference. Still in rough shape as this is the only known copy of the record. I'd never noticed how much of a Charley Jordan accompaniment Jack O' Diamonds has. It's like you get a Henry Townsend head with a Charley Jordan body. Anything Henry does is alright by me.

The wait-a-second-what's-that moment of the CD for me was Irene Scruggs accompanied by Blind Blake on Married Man Blues 2 and 3. I've never heard these before and they're not on Document. Calendar says they are unreleased. Blake plays out of dropped D and does a little mouth trumpet and scat, background vocals and a fair amount of harmony vocal on take 3. Irene Scruggs sounds much more bearable than usual. Sound is excellent.

Anyway, as always, well worth the price of admission.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:04:54 AM by uncle bud »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 10:44:02 AM »
I picked up my Blues Images calendar up yesterday at a local shop.

I wish I had local shops like that!

Is there any indication of how the person doing the remastering knew what speed to use to "correct" the Henry Townsend record?  They're just guitar and voice, and the only two songs Townsend recorded at that session, so I can't picture what internal evidence there is on the record for a "correct" speed. 

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:57:52 AM »
dj, I think the most logical thing to look for, using an oscilloscope, is the 60 Hz hum caused by any light fixtures and other electrical devices in the recording studio. It would possibly even be produced by the recording device itself unless they were using a purely mechanical weight-driven turntable. Even when there are fluctuations in the level of power supplied by the local utility, the alternating current stays at 60 Hz.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 11:10:47 AM »
There's no explanation of the remastering other than it's Nevins doing it, and the Townsend tracks are "bonus" tracks, sans artwork and without notes.

I should note that I am the one using the term speed corrected. There's no mention of it in the calendar. Wild conjecture here is that the speed correction is not a correction to the speed of the record or original recording itself but to whatever tape of the record was being used previously. I.e., Nevins remastered from a record player playing the actual 78 at the correct speed. Comparing versions to those found on the Paramount Masters set on JSP, I'd say these "corrected" versions sound more natural to me.  

Re. the shop. It's a used/new indie shop that's still hanging on so far. I've bought every Blues Images calendar from them.

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 01:22:38 AM »
Thanks for the review Uncle Bud.

The calendar is now available through Amazon, for those of us who don't have local shops as well stocked as UB.

Remember to use the Weenie Juke Amazon links when you order yours, to support the Juke!

Cheers

Pan

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 05:12:50 PM »
Thanks Pan.  ;)

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal