collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Don't never follow you first mind, cause that's the one that's wrong. 'Cause the Devil beats God to you every time! - Son House

Author Topic: Richard 'Rabbit' Brown lyrics  (Read 10065 times)

Offline Deluge

• My Myspace Page
Richard 'Rabbit' Brown lyrics
« on: October 11, 2006, 01:49:02 PM »
Anyone care to help me out with a few lines in this Rabbit Brown song?  Here is "The Mystery of the Dunbar Child":

Check out my Rabbit Brown Myspace page if you need to listen to the song!

www.myspace.com/rabbitbrown

The Mystery Of The Dunbar Child

(It was in the) month of August in the year of 1912
The kidnapping of the Dunbar?s Child that was a mystery sad to tell.
It was down on lake Swayze on a warm and sunny day
Everyone was enjoying happiness at a (pic a nic they gave) that day

You know the two children they wandered off Bobby and Conrad alone
When the returning of the other child he had said oh Bobby?s gone.
But where did little Bobby go everyone tried to know
and they all started searching Opelousas and along lake Swayze?s shore

You know the searched and searched for miles around almost the whole night long.
no one could?ve imagine where poor Bobby Dunbar?s gone.
Well they dragged the lake and they dynamite
All most the whole next day until someone had suspicion that some kidnap taken bobby away

A reward was been offered to see if Bobby could be found
Every one joined in the search you know in and out the town
No one heard of anything you know about that missing child
The father and mother of the Dunbar child it drove them almost wild

For months and months they looked and listened to hear something of their boy
And at last they heard about Walters child that he called his pride and joy
The was someone to Hub Mississippi you know that little country town
and everyone shouted out with Joy so glad Bobby had been found

You know that he was taken in custody given to the Dunbar brave and bold
But the Dunbars (?)* tale to tell that?s my child that Walter stole
Oh Walter was taken to prison and he was placed in an Opelousas jail
and he was charged for kidnapping (without any put up) bail

He says I?m an innocent man and believe a wretch like me
If I could see the Governor face to face I am sure he would set me free
Julia Anderson has proved his mother and I pray he?s not dead
You can picture their resemblance from his feet up to his head

Oh, the juryman found him guilty and the clerk wrote it down
The jury passed the sentence penitentiary he was bound
He was brought for safe keeping to dear old New Orleans
there he appealed for a new trial for the court of supreme

He said I know God wouldn?t have me punished for a crime that I didn?t do.
I hope and trust each and everyone someday find out that I?m true
Prosperity for New Orleans and also justice ( Lamb???)
Oh I am glad to tell you that Walter is now a free man.

* I have no idea what he is saying here.  I did see a newspaper article from
1914 that lists the name "Ot VanGriethuisen." Maybe?
-------------------------------------------------

Here is a 2004 newspaper article about the use of DNA in the Bobby Dunbar case!

Finding Bobby Dunbar

After nearly a century, DNA may finally solve mystery.

Bobby Dunbar, right, who was kidnapped in 1912, poses in this old photograph with his mother, Lessie. William Walters, a wayward tinker from North Carolina, was convicted of the kidnapping in 1914. (AP Photo/Courtesy of Margaret Cutright, File)     
KINSTON, N.C. (AP) -- When Bobby Dunbar vanished into the coffee-colored Louisiana swamps nine decades ago, the search was unrelenting.

Hundreds of volunteers slogged through the murky waters around Swayze Lake looking for some trace of the barefoot, blue-eyed 4-year-old. Searchers sliced open the bellies of alligators and dynamited the lake, thinking the blasts might dislodge the child's corpse.

Then, eight months later, police announced they had found little Bobby in the company of a wayward tinker from North Carolina. The man protested -- no, he said, this was his brother's illegitimate child.

A jury convicted him of kidnapping. The little boy grew to manhood, fathered four children and, when he died, was buried as a Dunbar.

William Walters is shown during in this April 1914 photo taken during his trial in Louisiana for kidnapping Bobby Dunbar. Dunbar was four-years-old when he vanished into the Louisiana swamps. A jury convicted Walters of kidnapping and the little boy grew to manhood, fathering a family of his own. (AP Photo/Courtesy of Margaret Cutright)     
But was he really Bobby Dunbar?

Four years ago, the boy's granddaughter began a search for the answer. Margaret Cutright believes modern-day science may help solve a mystery that has haunted three families for 92 years.

But she is unsure whether to take her search to its logical conclusion.

Bobby Dunbar was lost once. Does she have the right to take him away again?

Margaret Cutright looks at a picture of her grandfather, Bobby Dunbar, on her computer, Jan. 21, 2004, in Kinston, N.C. Dunbar was four years old when he vanished into the Louisiana swamps in 1912. (AP Photo/Bob Jordan)   
------

The Louisiana papers dubbed it the crime of the young 20th century.

On a sultry August morning in 1912, a group set out for a fishing contest along Swayze's muddy shores. When the participants returned to the cabins for lunch, Bobby Dunbar wandered off unnoticed.

No straw hat nor any other trace could be found of Percy and Lessie Dunbar's older son. But when searchers found a solitary set of bare footprints leading toward a rickety railroad trestle out of the swamps, and talk surfaced of a stranger wandering those parts, the Dunbars decided Bobby must have been taken.

Michael Walters, great-great-nephew of William Walters, who was convicted of kidnapping 4-year-old Bobby Dunbar in 1914, stands in a Walters family cemetery Jan. 9, 2004, in Barnesville, N.C. (AP Photo/Bob Jordan)     
The citizens of Opelousas pledged a $1,000 reward for Bobby's return, "no questions asked." Percy Dunbar, a well-respected real estate and insurance man, had a detective agency print up postcards with a picture and description of Bobby, and mail them to town and county officials from east Texas to Florida.

"Large round blue eyes, hair light, but turning dark, complexion very fair with rosy cheeks, well developed, stout but not very fat," it read. "Big toe on left foot badly scarred from burn when a baby."

In April 1913, a wire arrived from the little town of Hub, Miss. A drifter named William Cantwell Walters had been taken into custody there. He had a boy with him who matched Bobby's description.

The Dunbars rushed to Mississippi, but they were not immediately sure this was their boy.

The youth had a scar on his left foot. He had a mole on his neck where Bobby had one. But he refused to answer to the name Bobby, and when the mother tried to hold him, he would have nothing to do with her.

Mrs. Dunbar asked to see the boy again the next day. After stripping and bathing him, her uncertainty left her.

"Thank God, it is my boy," she shouted. Then she fainted.

Kidnapping was a capital offense in Louisiana, and Walters knew his life hung in the balance. In a letter to the Dunbars from his jail cell in Columbia, Miss., Walters insisted the boy was actually Bruce Anderson, the son of his brother and a woman who had cared for his aged parents back home in Barnesville, N.C. He begged them to send for her.

"I know by now you have Decided," he wrote in scrawling, unpunctuated script. "you are wrong it is vary likely I will Loose my Life on account of that and if I do the Great God will hold you accountable"

A New Orleans newspaper made arrangements to bring Julia Anderson to Mississippi to make her own identification. But the people of Opelousas had already made up their minds.

Nearly 91 years later, Aline Castille Perrault can still picture the joyous scene she experienced as a 10-year-old.

It was April 25, 1913, and the whole of St. Landry Parish had been invited to the party on the courthouse square to welcome little Bobby home.

Suddenly, someone shouted, "Here he comes, here he comes." Bobby, by then nearly 5 years old, rode into the square on a flower-bedecked fire engine, gliding triumphantly past the Spanish-revival courthouse and the Roman arches of the Old Town Market. Aline and the others thronged around.

"It was a jolly affair," said the now-100-year-old woman recently, "and everybody was happy for the little boy."

Julia Anderson arrived in Opelousas on May 1. It had been more than 15 months since she had given Walters permission to take Bruce. She, like Mrs. Dunbar, had trouble identifying him as her son, and the boy -- who suddenly found himself in a nice home with a pony and a bicycle -- wanted nothing to do with her.

After her initial wavering, Anderson declared that "her mother's heart" told her the boy found with the tinker was indeed her son. But her uncertainty was not easily forgiven.

"Animals don't forget, but this big, coarse country woman, several times a mother -- she forgot," one newspaper reported. "Children were only regrettable incidents in her life. ... She hopes her son isn't dead just as she hopes that the cotton crop will be good this year. Of true mother love, she has none."

Following a sensational two-week trial that was the object of newsreels, songs and souvenir postcards, Walters was convicted of kidnapping and sentenced to life in prison. Walters spent two years behind bars before being granted a new trial on a technicality. But the town of Opelousas decided that Bobby was where he belonged, and enough had been spent on the case.

The tinker was released and soon faded into obscurity, but Bobby would never know such peace. Whenever there was a sensational kidnapping, such of the 1932 disappearance of the Lindbergh baby, reporters would return to the home of "that little lost boy."

------

Growing up in Winston-Salem, N.C., Cutright, 42, heard the stories of her grandfather's disappearance and sensational recovery. She had never had any reason to question them -- until the family lost another boy.

When her brother Robbie died in a plane crash in 1999, Cutright's father gave her a family scrapbook chronicling the kidnapping case. Leafing through the crumbling, yellowed clippings, she came across an editorial cartoon from 1913.

In the drawing, titled "Fifty Years From Now?", a bearded old man sits in a chair, his right hand cupped behind his ear as a boy, kneeling on the floor over a newspaper from the kidnapping trial, looks up and asks: "Grandpa, do you think we'll ever know for certain what our right name is?"

"That just hit me like a ton of bricks," says Cutright, who now lives in Garrison, N.Y. "The little boy on the floor represented my brother. It was my inspiration to look further."

Cutright's search has taken her from the cypress swamps of Louisiana to the woods of Mississippi and finally to the hardscrabble Carolina pinelands where Bruce Anderson was born.

Her wanderings eventually led her to the house where Walters' defense attorney once lived. To her shock, the man's granddaughter still lived there and, from a closet, she produced the original 900-page defense file.

Cutright spent months scanning and transcribing the telegrams, letters and depositions. Witnesses had placed Walters and the boy he called Bruce miles away from Opelousas the day Bobby went missing.

When she finished, she says, "I grieved for two weeks."

Suddenly, she felt the urgent need to go back to Louisiana. As she stood on the cross ties of that derelict railroad trestle staring into that muddy water, Cutright realized that her notion of who she was had changed forever.

"I felt that it was the first time anyone in my family had gone and acknowledged that a little boy had died there."

------

Cutright's findings have given the hope of closure to a family she has only recently discovered.

Julia Anderson settled in Mississippi after the trial, married and raised eight children. Those children grew up believing they had a half brother who had been stolen from them.

Cutright, who is working on a book about the case, has tracked down Bruce's two surviving siblings and shown them her evidence. One of them, 80-year-old Hollis Rawls, has expressed a willingness to submit a DNA sample to help prove whether Cutright's grandfather was really Bruce Anderson.

Establishing a genetic link between Cutright's grandfather and the Andersons would mean reaching back at least two generations -- and possibly exhumations. A simpler question to answer would be: Was her grandfather Bobby Dunbar?

Because the Y chromosome is passed almost unchanged from father to son, matching the DNA of one of Bobby's three sons with that of his brother Alonzo's male offspring would tell whether Cutright's grandfather was a Dunbar.

But there are those who would rather leave that Pandora's Box closed.

Gerald Dunbar, Bobby's youngest son, says his father had made peace with his story. "No matter how it (a DNA test) turns out, there's going to be a sense of loss," says Gerald Dunbar, who lives in Lafayette, La. "What is to be truly gained?"

For one thing, the test could prove William Walters' innocence, says his great-great-nephew, Michael Walters.

"If he did do it, it's not going to change anything about me," says Walters, who lives just a few miles from the old family farm in Robeson County, N.C. "But I would like to know."

Despite several family members' objections, one of Alonzo's sons has agreed to submit to the test. So has Cutright's father -- Bobby Dunbar's namesake.

------

Robert Dunbar Jr. retired to a little house in Kinston, not 100 miles from the piney woods where Bruce Anderson was born.

On the living room wall hangs a massive family tree whose roots stretch back to a Robert Dunbar who came to North Carolina from Scotland in 1770.

"If I'm not a Dunbar, I would like to meet some of my other family," says Cutright's father, a 67-year-old state retiree. "I would like to clarify where I think I am."

But in a way, it doesn't matter what the test shows.

He recalled a conversation with his father back in 1954, when he was just a teenager. Another sensational kidnapping had brought a reporter around, and the resulting, ambiguous story prompted him to ask his father:

"Well, how do you know that you're Bobby Dunbar."

His father, who died in 1966, looked him square in the face and gave him an enigmatic answer, he says:

"I know who I am, and I know who you are. And nothing else makes a difference."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:28:50 PM by Johnm »

Offline Alexei McDonald

• Howdy!
Re: Rabbit Brown- The Mystery of The Dunbar Child
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 11:54:40 PM »
Am I remembering wrong, or didn't the DNA test exonerate Walters?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 07:52:23 AM »
Thanks for the article, Deluge. Fascinating reading as I hadn't known much of the background.

Unfortunately, I can't get you any further with the lyrics. The tough spots for you are tough spots for me too.

Offline Deluge

• My Myspace Page
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:20:38 AM »
Thanks for looking!  Some of those lines are really difficult to understand. 
I?ve transcribed the other 4 Rabbit Brown songs if any one is interested. 

I wish there were more Rabbit Brown recordings. The song Great Northern Blues has become somewhat of a Holy Grail to me.  I have been in touch with a lot of people and I have actually found a lead that may eventually pan out to something interesting.  I did contact the folks at the Encyclopedic Discography of Victor Recordings and they believe the master copy might be with Sony BMG. I have been persistent but at this time I have yet to receive a response. 

I have always wondered if it may have been destroyed because Brown made a mistake and stopped playing part way through.  We may never know? 

All the best,
Daniel

You are absolutely right Alexei...

DNA clears man of 1914 kidnapping conviction
By Allen G. Breed, Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. ? In 1914, William Cantwell Walters was convicted of kidnapping a 4-year-old boy. Nine decades later, science has cleared his name.
A DNA test indicates that the child police found with Walters years ago was not the missing boy, Bobby Dunbar. More than likely, he was the illegitimate son of Walters' brother and a servant living with Walters' parents.
Dunbar disappeared Aug. 23, 1912, during a fishing trip on Swayze Lake near Opelousas. After a massive eight-month search, Walters, an itinerant handyman, was arrested in Mississippi while traveling in a tented wagon with a boy who fit Bobby's description.
Walters maintained that the servant, Julia Anderson, gave him the boy as a traveling companion. The woman was brought to Mississippi and identified him as Charlie Bruce Anderson, but a court-appointed arbiter ruled that he was the Dunbars' missing son.
Walters was convicted of kidnapping in a sensational trial, but the verdict was overturned on appeal. He was never retried, and the boy grew up as Bobby Dunbar.
Four and a half years ago, Dunbar's granddaughter started to research the case and began to have doubts as she dug through old newspaper clippings and court transcripts.
Her father, over the objections of his siblings, agreed to give a DNA sample earlier this year. It was compared to a sample given by a son of Bobby Dunbar's brother, Alonzo.
The samples did not match.
"My intent was to prove that we were Dunbars," 68-year-old Robert Dunbar Jr. said Tuesday in a telephone interview from Kinston. "The results didn't turn out that way, and I have had to do some readjusting of my thinking. But I would do it again."
He traveled to Louisiana to meet with his siblings. On his way back, he stopped in Mississippi to give the news to his father's surviving brother and sister.
He said he felt comfortable with them. But a part of him still doesn't want to believe the DNA.
"I haven't had any big metamorphosis here," he said. "I don't intend to change my name. My daddy's still my daddy, and my mother's still my mother. That doesn't change that at all."
The Walters family invited Dunbar Jr. to give the blessing during a reunion at Lumber River State Park.
During the reunion, a letter was read that William Walters wrote while sitting in a Columbia, Miss., jail cell, awaiting word whether he would be extradited. Kidnapping was a capital offense at the time, and Walters wrote "... it seems that I must suffer now for an imaginary sin or crime that has never been committed."
"Dying, I can look up through the ethereal blue of Heaven, thank God, and say my conscience is clear: the heart strings of weeping mothers bind not my withering limbs, and the crime of kidnapping stains not my humble threshold door."
On Saturday, the last trace of that stain was washed clean.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 08:25:23 AM by Deluge »

Offline fictioneer

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 09:40:01 PM »
Wow.  Now, that's a story!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 10:21:07 PM »
Hi Deluge,
Thanks very much for starting this thread.  The story is fascinating, and what an odd choice of subject matter for a song by Rabbit Brown!  I have been listening to his recording of the song a lot, and have a few changes to the lyrics you posted.  Unfortunately, I can't fill the main missing gap, but here are a few possible revisions.
   * Verse 1, a "warm sunny day"
   * Verse 2, end of the first line, "Bobby and his comrade alone"
   * Verse 3, "No one couldn't imagine"
   * Verse 3, last line, eliminate "that"
   * Verse 5, third line, "They was summoned to Hub, Mississippi"
   * Last verse, second line "someday'll find out that I'm true"
   * Last verse last line, "Walters"
I hope to hear the big missing gap in verse 6 at some point, but it's really tough.  I think you are right about Justice Lamb.  Thanks for bringing this song to our attention.
All best,
Johnm

crawley

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »
Daniel, apparently the Blind Willie Harris songs are Brown under a another name. Sounds like him, but who knows. Even if not, they're still great songs, especially  "where jesus leads me."
-Aaron

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 11:45:27 PM »
Daniel, apparently the Blind Willie Harris songs are Brown under a another name. Sounds like him, but who knows. Even if not, they're still great songs, especially  "where jesus leads me."
B&GR4's compilers footnoted the session with a few carefully chosen words :)

"It has recently been suggested that these may be pseudonymous religious titles by Richard Rabbit Brown".

Does anybody know where the "recent" suggestion was made? I'm guessing it was in the early 90s.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:46:28 PM by Bunker Hill »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 10:54:18 AM »
Hi all,
This does not really respond to Bunker Hill's query, but there is a thread devoted to this very topic over on page 19 of the Main Forum, started by Frankie, for anyone who might be interested.
All best,
Johnm

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 07:31:07 PM »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

dingwall

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 09:41:03 AM »
This is the ballad as I hear it, with suggestions in capitals from the first version given at the start 0f the topic.   
Johnm's suggestions are all here, except that I have 'They were summoned', not 'was'.   Alas, no joy with verse 6, where I have just given the sounds I hear, hoping it might help.   (There is no significance in it being eight line stanzas ? just the way I have it!)

The note following the lyric largely repeats earlier material in this topic, but, from memory, I think there are one or two new points.

MYSTERY OF THE DUNBAR'S CHILD

THE ELEVENTH, month of August,  [IMPORTANT COMMA]
In the year of 1912.
The kidnapping of the Dunbar's child,
That was a mystery sad to tell.
It was down on Lake Swayze,
On a warm sunny day.
Everyone was enjoying happiness,
At a PICNIC they gave that day.

You know, the two children, they wandered off.
Bobby and HIS comrade alone.
When the returning of the other child,
He JUST said, "Oh, Bobby's gone."
But where did little Bobby go?
Everyone tried to know.
And they all START searchin' Opelousas,
And along Lake Swayze shore.

You know, they searched and searched for miles around,
Almost the whole night long.
No one COULDN'T imagine,
Where poor Bobby Dunbar's gone.
OH, they dragged the lake and they dynamite,
Almost the whole next day.
Until someone had suspicion,
Some kidnap taken Bobby away.

A reward was BEIN' offered,
To see if Bobby could be found.
Everyone joined in the search, you know,
In and out the LITTLE town.
No one heard of anything, you know,
About that missin' child.
The father and mother of the Dunbar child,
It drove them almost wild.

For months and months, they looked and listened,
To hear something of their boy.
And at last they heard about Walters' child,
That he called his pride and joy.
THEY WERE SUMMONED to Hub, Mississippi,
You know, that little country town.
And everyone shouted out with joy,
So glad Bobby had been found.

You know, THEN, he was taken in custody,
Given to the Dunbars, brave and bold.
But the Dunbar CROWD TRIED TO ROCK WITH RAIL, TO TELL,  [?????]
"That's my child that Walters stole."
POOR Walters was taken to prison,
And he was placed in Opelousas jail.
And he was charged OF kidnapping,
WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF bail.

He said, "I am an innocent man,
And believe a wretch like me.
If I could see the Governor face to face,
I am sure he would set me free.
Julie Anderson IS proved his mother,
And I pray SHE'S not dead.
You can picture their resemblance,
From his feet up to his head."

Oh, the JURYMEN found him guilty,
And the clerk wrote it down.
The JUDGE passed the sentence.
Penitentiary he was bound.
He was brought for safe keeping,
To dear old New Orleans.
There he appealed for a new trial.
THROUGH the Court of Supreme.

He SAYS, "I know God wouldn't have me punished,
For a crime that I didn't do.
I hope and trust each and everyone,
SOME DAY'LL find out that I am true."
Stop searching ALL OVER New Orleans.
And ALL THOSE DESOLATE LANDS.
Oh, I am glad to tell you ALL,
That Walters is now a free man.

Notes based on an article by Ed Clinton in the Baton Rouge 'Morning Advocate' of 25 October 1953.   There was a tragic kidnapping at the time, and the article was harking back to the happier outcome of the 1912 Bobby Dunbar case.   I summarise, occasionally quoting.

Bobby disappeared from a family outing at Lake Swayze, near Opelousas, on Sunday, 23 August 1912.   He wandered off alone, apparently, not with the companion suggested in the lyric.   Hundreds of searchers came by special train, and otherwise, and, as hope dwindled, a reward of 6000 dollars was offered for his return within three months, no questions asked.   There was no response.

His description was sent throughout the US - he was "stout, with fair skin and blond hair and carried a scar on the big toe of his left foot from a burn sustained in his early childhood".   Private detectives, hired by Bobby's father, thought they had solved the case in December 1912, but the several persons arrested in Alabama were later released.

On 13 April 1913, a dozen citizens of Hub-Foxworth (Mississippi) wired Mr Dunbar that a boy fitting the description was there.   Bobby "had been transformed into a frail, emaciated, unkempt red-head", though it transpired that the hair was dyed.   William Cantwell Walters (an itinerant preacher and odd-jobs-man) was arrested at Columbus, and the Dunbar family reunited.

Walters' story was that the boy was Bruce Anderson. Julia Anderson, the mother said to have left her son in Walters' keeping, was brought from North Carolina and identified the boy, but couldn't offer conclusive evidence. Friends of Walters in New Orleans also identified the boy as Bruce Anderson, and Governor Brewer of Mississsippi was far from convinced that the boy was Bobby.

Walters was extradited, tried at St Landry (the Parish where it all happened), and given life there.   On appeal to the state Supreme Court, he was freed from St Landry and never seen there again.

The crucial factor in the case appears to have been the scar on the left big toe.   In 1953, when the article was written, Bobby was living in Opelousas, married with four children.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 08:41:48 AM »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 09:24:02 AM »
A link to an article about Rabbit Brown, which discusses among other things, a couple songs he apparently wrote but didn't record. http://www.bluesworld.com/RabbitBrown.html

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 06:18:34 PM »
The NPR "This American Life" episode "The Ghost of Bobby Dunbar" Stuart mentioned above showed up unsolicited on my iPod as a podcast this week since NPR has just repeated it in its entirety. Which means you can now download it in one hit for free through iTunes if you sub to TAL, which I do, since I find TAL to be a pretty great show.

Fascinating story, highly recommended. Requires concentration though as they flip-flop from the Dunbars' to the Andersons' sides of the story a lot. I lost track a couple of times when my boss interrupted me and had to rewind the podcast to figure out who was who. Doesn't hurt that the show opens and closes with some pretty great music.

It just struck me, reading the last para of the link the Uncle Bud posted above, that Richard Rabbit Brown had a lot in common with Bobby Dunbar, disappearing suddenly and leaving us with an enduring legend.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 06:37:30 PM by Rivers »

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
Richard 'Rabbit' Brown lyrics
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 09:50:14 AM »
This is such an open hearted song and performance - I really get that he means it. Is there a hint of an irish accent at the beginning?

capo on 4 and playing the shapes noted. I think the pitch isn't concert so it's hard to tell.
And one line in particular is hard to make out and i've put in what it kind of sounds like.  Here is "I'm Not Jealous":

I'm Not Jealous
recorded March 1927 in New Orleans

I don't know what made her quit loving me         C      G7
I was nice just as nice as I could be                       G7   C
what did she mean by the things she used to say   C   G7
used to tell me sweet stories in a different way      G7   C
maybe someone musta took my place         C   G7
and may have been a wondrous form, may've been a charming face    G7   C
but sure as the stars shine above you            F    C
oh mama papa's gonna always love you       D   G
tell me what made you quit loving me         C   G7   C

and know that I'm not jealous no I'm not Jealous    C   G7
but you're just driving me wild               G 7   C
i can't understand y'know how you can flirt      C   G7
and every time you does it well you know my heart it hurts   D   G
on rampart street you meet fellas by the dozens   C   G7
you got that cheek to tell me all thems your cousins   G7   C
I'm not jealous no I'm not Jealous            F    C
but i just don't like it that's all               G   C

No I'm not jealous no I'm not Jealous
but you just driving me wild
i can't understand y'know how you can flirt
and every time you does it, well you know my heart it hurts
If everybody you meet is your relation
if all thems your kin you've got a nation
I'm ain't jealous no I'm not Jealous
but i just don't like it that's all

EDIT to pick up correction from banjochris and after closer listening. also changed chords to C position at 4th fret
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:30:30 PM by Johnm »

Tags: Rabbit Brown 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal