collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

You get that right tickin' rhythm, man, and its ON! - Fats Waller

Author Topic: Blind Blake blog post  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
Re: Blind Blake blog post
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 02:58:09 PM »
Probably haven't played or listened to Blake for 3/4 years,but he was my idol back in the 70's.
All this talk of him has sent me scurrying over to youtube,once again I've been sidetracked and sent back into Blake mode.
Just heard West Coast and was immediately reminded just how easy it is for him....walk in the park.
Just heard Seaboard and was reminded by the endless variations and syncopation on the west coast theme, but I heard something new...just how hard he is playing.He is really thumping the bass strings.
I've read several times that he played with a light touch,this never seemed right to me, but you can actually hear the power and buzzing of the bass strings.I've missed this before or perhaps it's a new mix.
fresh ears,new perspective..great stuff.

Offline claudecat

• Howdy!
    • Claudecat's Place
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 03:28:33 PM »
Hi claudecat,
All of my albums from the '70s were licensed and released by Japanese labels on CD in the early 2000s, and can probably be found by doing a search at Amazon, though they tend to be pricey.  The three albums I did for Rounder, the first of which was "Let's Go Riding", were also available for a time from Rounder in its Archive series, on CD.  I don't know if that series has continued into the Concord Jazz-owned Rounder Records era.
All best,
Johnm

Thanks for the response. I was aware of the Japanese reissues but never quite pulled the trigger mostly due to the cost - I ain't no rich guy. The Rounder Archive series is news to me... I'll look into those. They'll just end up on my hard drives anyway, as I tend to eschew physical media these days.

If I still had all my fancy stereo equipment from years ago (long sad story), I'd be much more likely to spring for these and the Woody Harris LP that Arhoolie wants $20 for, or bid on Ruskin's first Takoma LP on eBay or something. The older I get, the more time I spend at the PC listening with fancy headphones to FLAC files. Not sure it's better, but it is convenient.

Offline daddystovepipe

• daddystovepipe youtube
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »
Rick Ruskin's older material is still available through his website
http://www.liondogmusic.com/Products.htm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »
I would also second norfolk slim's assessment of how well Ari Eisinger has Blake's language down.  He has got it down, to the extent that he can improvise on a Blake tune and unless you know Blake's performance of the tune by heart, you can't tell whether he is simply reproducing Blake's rendition or playing convincingly in the style while making up his own thing.  I suspect you can't really tell just how deeply he's gotten Blake's language without seeing him do it in person, but he's got it.
All best,
Johnm

Offline claudecat

• Howdy!
    • Claudecat's Place
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 06:23:31 PM »
Rick Ruskin's older material is still available through his website
http://www.liondogmusic.com/Products.htm

Oooh... thanks for that! I hadn't been there in a while and see that "In the Beginning" will provide for my Ruskin needs. Now I just need to negotiate iTunes using Linux... hmmm.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 08:20:40 PM »
All I can add is a comment by my late friend Charles Henry "Baby" Tate (Spartanburg/Greenville, SC) who saw Blake play when I child in GA (Elberton). Blake came through town a few times and the youngster was rapt by his playing - no picks and his thumb had a groove worn in it from playing. So, maybe not so gentle a player - gotta project to the crowd either at a social affair or on the street! Tate did Blake rather well and even attempted Willie Walker tunes ("He played in all the keys with all his fingers") for me. He was going to record any of Walker's songs that were not released or recorded, but he died unexpectedly before that took place.

Peter B.

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 05:05:10 AM »
So Oddenda,you actually new someone,who witnessed Blake.
How wonderful....if you remember anything else Baby Tate said ,please post........I think from this we can confirm,once and for all,that Blake. did not use picks.

Offline claudecat

• Howdy!
    • Claudecat's Place
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 08:02:53 AM »
I've never gotten how anyone could use finger or thumb picks. So uncomfortable... like swimming with a heavy parka on or something.

Offline CF

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 12:20:14 PM »
I never thought I would but I got used to them. Great tools to have if you need em.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline oddenda

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 08:43:30 PM »
Bill -

Check recent entry in Pink Anderson - 1969 entries under "Books and Articles" for more!

Peter B.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:44:51 PM by oddenda »

Tags: Blind Blake 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal