collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Blues is for gut-bucket people who run around with only half their clothes on - Reverend Gary Davis

Author Topic: William Harris query  (Read 592 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
William Harris query
« on: October 11, 2021, 10:18:59 AM »
Hi all,
I know that John Tefteller put William Harris' "I'm A Roamin' Gambler" and "I Was Born In The Country, Raised In Town" out with one of his calendars a couple of years ago. Looking in D G & R, I see the following issued titles that I have never heard, and I wondered if they had ever been found, and if so, released or made available to listen to, anywhere:
   * "Nothin' Right Blues"
   * "Bad Treated Blues"
   * "Gonna Get Me A Woman That I Calls My Own"
Does anybody know the status of these titles? Thanks for any information.
All best,
Johnm

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Re: William Harris query
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 10:30:25 AM »
"Bad Treated" was found I think in Kentucky and was included on one of the Document "Too Late" series. Fortunately the flip side of it was "Electric Chair," which had HORRIBLE sound quality on the original Document release. The others as far as I know are still unfound.
Chris

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 11:38:33 AM »
Thanks so much for the information and for posting the song, Chris! I'm going to see if I can hear the lyrics and post it up in the William Harris Lyrics thread. He's someone like Clifford Gibson or Jaydee Short whom I'm always excited to hear a cut by that I've never heard before.
All best,
John

Offline jostber

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 10:47:39 AM »
From the Big Road Blues site and a program on the Blues Calendar 2018:

Right before my interview with John I heard news of a lost William Harris 78 that had just been discovered. Little is known of William Harris who may have hailed from the Mississippi Delta. Harris recorded sixteen sides, fourteen being issued, for Gennett in 1927 and 1928. "I'm Leavin' Town (But I Sho' Don't Wanna Go)" was his debut backed on the 78 by Ollis Martin's "Police And High Sheriff Come Ridin' Down." His other song from that first session, "No Black Woman Can Sleep In My Cowlot", was rejected. Three records have not been found by Harris but one has just turned up and will appear on the CD that will accompany next year's calendar. "I'm A Roamin' Gambler b/w I Was Born In The Country—Raised In Town" turned up in and Estate sale in Northern Kentucky by someone who worked at Gennett Records in the late 1920's and 30's. Harris is best known for the amazing "Bullfrog Blues" which we play today from the Yazoo collection The Best There Ever Was.

https://sundayblues.org/?tag=william-harris

Tags: William Harris 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal