collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Like Us on Facebook

When Alan posed the question "What are the blues? What do they mean to you?" the answers were in part something he sought for himself, to understand this musical form that may have been as ancient as the griots in West Africa, or perhaps as recent as the automobile, the airplane, and the phonograph (all of which made guest appearances in the blues). The blues had become a craze, like ragtime, which grew up alongside it, and it leaped from the bottom of the social order to the Astors and the Vanderbilts, who staged blues contests for their own amusement well before the rest of white America came to know them - from Alan Lomax, The Man Who Recorded the World, by John Szwed

Author Topic: Ralph Stanley R.I.P.  (Read 384 times)

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
Re: Ralph Stanley R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 10:38:11 AM »
hope country blues legend Ralph Stanley rests in peace.  Oh Death

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
Re: Ralph Stanley R.I.P.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 01:53:03 AM »
A few years ago, I picked up the banjo after hearing Dr. Ralph's "Clinch Mountain Backstep". I ended up playing at a bluegrass festival with a few friends, and realized that he was in the audience. I wound up spending a good deal of time after the show visiting with him. A truly hospitable and humble man. You shall be missed good sir!
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal