collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't want no woman if her hair ain't no longer than mine - Lightnin' Hopkins, Shorthaired Woman

Author Topic: Country blues on electric slide guitar?  (Read 948 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
Country blues on electric slide guitar?
« on: May 29, 2015, 06:20:17 PM »
Hi all

I've got an interesting gig coming up, promoting a Finnish luthier's guitar on a guitar show here in Berlin.

The luthier Ville Tyyster builds a hollow metal sheet(!)-bodied electric guitar, which is interesting in the fact, that it has an acoustic tone as well, and has a pickup inside the body too, apart from the usual electric guitar pickups on the top of the guitar! The guitar is supposedly quite versatile, but excels especially in slide playing, I'm told (and heard too, first hand). I will get one of his guitars shortly, to get to know it a little better, and for to practice a little.

Which brings me to my question, which electric country blues slide players would you recommend for me to check up, in the purpose of demoing the guitar? I'm not much of a slide player as is, but hey, this is a great motivation to pick up a tune or two!

I'm aware of course, of Fred McDowell, for an example, but I'm not quite sure I can manage his right hand (I'm no Mike Brosnan! :)). What else would you suggest for listening?

Thank you in advance,

Pan

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Country blues on electric slide guitar?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:25:33 PM »
That's cool, Pan!  You might listen to J. B. Hutto.  He was pretty country-sounding, despite playing in band settings.  Muddy Waters would be a good one to listen to also.  On the more sophisticated side, you could try Robert Nighthawk or Earl Hooker.  It really sounds like a neat project, and one that requires you to learn new skills is ideal.  Best of luck with it.
All best,
Johnm

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 06:37:08 PM »
Johnny Shines
Johnny Shines

and

Johnny Shines

and then what about Jimmy Lee Williams and John Lee Ziegler?

A lot of slide guitar done on acoustic will sound just FINE on electric...  just let the amp do the work...  simplify, simplify, simplify...

Charlie McCoy's Last Time Blues would be kinda badass on electric...

Actually, slide in cross-note on electric is one of life's subtle pleasures.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 06:51:34 PM »
Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground would give it a good workout. It's been done, of course, Ry Cooder adapted it for the Paris Texas soundtrack, and also by me, when I'm in the mood for flirting with danger and sonics. Fabulous piece of music, high highs and low lows.

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 09:32:03 PM »
I'm aware of course, of Fred McDowell, for an example, but I'm not quite sure I can manage his right hand (I'm no Mike Brosnan! :)).

Too kind, Pan. If I studied Fred's right hand for the rest of my life, I still wouldn't come close, but that was a much appreciated ego boost nonetheless. :)
Everyone I would have named is already listed here. Sounds like quite a guitar! I'm sure you'll make it shine. Hope to see/hear it when it's all said and done! Have fun! Slide can be addictive!

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 02:11:27 AM »
There are some good youtube videos of Muddy Waters and Johnny Shines. Have a look at Muddy playing 'Long Distance Call' in standard tuning, and Johnny playing 'Ramblin'.

Offline harriet

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 02:32:33 AM »
What about Mance Lipscomb's Jack of Diamonds in vestapol on the electric - he played an electric in his Trio. In Spanish there's Brownsville and also RL Burnside for Rolling and Tumblin. Those are slide throughout though.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:50:41 AM by harriet »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 04:13:23 AM »
Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone!

These will certainly keep me busy for quite a while! :)

Cheers

Pan

Offline oddenda

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 01:10:24 AM »
Add South Carolina's Henry Johnson to the pack.

pbl

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 03:32:24 AM »
Add South Carolina's Henry Johnson to the pack.

pbl

Thank you!

I will check him out as well!

Cheers

Pan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal