collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
25 cents?! Ha! No, no... I wouldn't pay 25 cents to go in nowhere! - 1933's Gimmie A Pigfoot by Bessie Smith

Author Topic: Pre-War Discographies?  (Read 774 times)

Offline Nyama74

• Howdy!
Pre-War Discographies?
« on: October 13, 2014, 12:01:17 PM »
Greetings all! Sorry if this question has already been asked but this seems like the right place - what's the best resource for complete pre-war blues discography information? I'm looking to expand my blues collection but am having trouble finding certain things online (for example: number of sides a musician cut, unissued sides, missing sides, etc)?

I assumed that this kind of information would be common knowledge and readily available but I'm only finding bits and pieces. Is there an online resource somewhere or is the Blues & Gospel Records book the final word on such things?

Thanks very much for any and all replies! (Amazing website, btw!)

-Blaine

Offline TonyGilroy

Re: Pre-War Discographies?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:41:18 AM »

The book is essential but below is a wonderful site which is absolutely comprehensive for the artists covered.

A true labour of love.

http://www.wirz.de/music/american.htm

Offline hms

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 02:03:41 AM »
The Penguin Guide to Blues Recordings, may be of interest. iirc published in 2006 so you may have to search for a resonably priced copy.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/832962.The_Penguin_Guide_to_Blues_Recordings
h

Offline Nyama74

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 07:45:30 AM »
Thank you, friends! I'll keep an eye out for those books. And that website should keep me busy for a while!

Exactly what I needed...thanks, again!

-B.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 03:13:50 AM »
Godrich/Dixon/Rye is da bomb - nothing else close. 4th Edition from Oxford University Press the most recent one and the best.

pbl

Offline MTJ3

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 10:42:54 PM »
There was a rumor (unconfirmed, to the best of my knowledge) that there was a fully searchable version on CD available from some source in Continental Europe.  So, if you wanted to know who recorded at the Peabody Hotel the day Kid Bailey did or in a studio in Chicago the week Bumble Bee Slim some particular song, you could find that out with relative ease.  Anyone?

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal