collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Bring me back the wig I bought you, let your head go bald. When I first met you baby, you had no hair at all - Cannon's Jug Stompers, "Heartbreakin' Blues"

Author Topic: Son House Definitive Documentary  (Read 4406 times)

Offline MissouriTiger

• Howdy!
Re: Son House Definitive Documentary
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »
This is such a cool idea!!! I used to fantasize about making an individual documentary about every blues man in history. Crazy, yes?! Who would watch them all? Only us members of Weenie Campbell and that's about it - lol!

Godspeed to you in this project!

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator

Offline StoogeKebab

• Howdy!
    • LAW Records
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 05:08:04 AM »
Hi Harry,

While I hadn't seen that specific report, I was made aware of that screening by a post somewhere on here, albeit sadly long after it had happened. After Bob West passed away, I was no longer corresponding regularly with anyone about the project and that's when it started to dwindle.

In any event, the report that I had read at that time made no mention to new quotes by Ron Mix, or that someone had actually edited that footage, so I had inferred (which I'm now pleasantly surprised to see was an incorrect inference) that it was the same cut that I have a poor quality VHS rip of. It's also a shame I wasn't able to reach Ron Mix at the time (September and October 2015, my only project related goal while on holidays) as that was right after this occurred and I'm sure he would've been able to point me in the right direction of it all.

If what is suggested by the article - that the Mix film was scanned and re-edited - is in fact the case, the job that I could do now has been done for me, and that's really good to hear, it's just unfortunate that the film appears to be unavailable elsewhere.

This talk over the past few days has really got me motivated to dig into it some more (perfect timing, I have a week off  :D) and I'm going to try and get in touch with the Rochester filmmaker that is named as doing the new edit. Hopefully that produces something fruitful!

Thank you John, Tiger, and Harry for commenting and bringing it all back to my attention. As they say, here goes nothing, we'll see what can be come up with.
Confident that I'm probably almost definitely the youngest record label owner in my street

Live Acoustic Wollongong - LAW Records

https://www.facebook.com/law.nkjc/

https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/james-r-cooper/id992309035

Offline StoogeKebab

• Howdy!
    • LAW Records
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 05:21:19 AM »
Another thing for those interested, here's the YouTube clip of the poor quality copy (not my upload, but identical to what I have)

And here's a discussion recorded at the Son House events:

It hits hard upon reflection seeing this as I was 9,500 miles closer than I usually am while all this was going on and I was taking a break from it!

The most pleasing update is that there was a George Eastman Grant to transfer the film. Should anything else ever happen that wants to use this film, it's had a high quality transfer done of it. That's fantastic to hear.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/arts/music/son-house-inspires-a-rochester-blues-festival.html

Looking back, the only thing I could've added to this was digital savvy and looking at a wide scope with new interviews as opposed to a specific project. Scrolling back through this thread shows how lofty my goals were! I assume that Dick Waterman was aware of it, though looking back I don't think I spoke to him around this time.

In any case, it's brought me great comfort to see that the film has been shown some reverence and was transferred and edited. I hope that by nagging a few people this week I might work out how one could go about seeing more of it. Any news I receive will be immediately shared with my dear Weenie family.
Confident that I'm probably almost definitely the youngest record label owner in my street

Live Acoustic Wollongong - LAW Records

https://www.facebook.com/law.nkjc/

https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/james-r-cooper/id992309035

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 06:37:24 PM »
Thanks SK, and good luck, you deserve it

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2018, 03:16:45 PM »
I am the maker of this documentary...the documentary is available to see through the Monroe County Library, Rochester, N.Y.  It also was accepted in a few video festivals. I am curious if anyone knows how the documentary was uploaded to Youtube since I have never done that and am the director and producer of it. There are very few copies of it and by a very few I mean under 10, probably closer to 5. I own all the copyrights to the documentary. I don't mind it being presented to the public in this manner but I'm extremely curious who uploaded it to YouTube. I can be reached at mjbrady67@gmail.com. Thanks much, Mark Brady

This was posted as a comment on YouTube, Preachin' the Blues aka Son House On Film, 1977 (part 2 of 2) 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal