collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It's rather ironic that many excellent blues musicians want a sound that's almost diametrically opposed to what most luthiers spend their lives trying to achieve - George Gruhn, http://www.gruhn.com

Author Topic: Pickin' on the Toilet  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Mike Brosnan

Pickin' on the Toilet
« on: June 30, 2011, 04:18:38 PM »
Been spending some time in my 4' x 8' bathroom with an mp3 recorder and several guitars... So I set up a Reverbnation account just to get some more of my noisemaking out there. Longer, better recordings on the way, but here's this for now...  Certainly not my best...  Constructive feedback always encouraged.  I was hesitant to post some of this stuff, but I figure it'll mostly just be other musicians listening to it anyway so...  Sorry I've become another one of those people who rarely posts unless I'm sharing some of my own stuff.  Let me know if it gets annoying.  I check in here regularly, just don't spend as much time online these days.  Blah, blah...
http://www.reverbnation.com/michaelbrosnan

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:01:04 PM by Mike Brosnan »

Offline Bald Melon Jefferson

Re: Pickin' on the Toilet
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:21:32 AM »
Constructive feedback always encouraged.
after mulling over several toilet related jokes and puns, I'll just say,
Record more stuff...more often., not annoying.

windin' boy ...was that a small tempo change?....or did my 3rd cup coffee just kick in?   
Support the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 04:22:14 PM »
And here was me thinkin' you were doin' some Tween Wave!
Coolness abounds, at least I tell myself that to keep from jumping out of my 11th floor window.

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »
Multitasking? Sounds good Mike!
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 10:22:38 AM »
Nope, nice to hear and see other players. I never get tired of the WIllie Nelson joke on the Rollin Tumblin video. LOL

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »
The thread title made me approach with caution...

Sounds good, Mike. I particularly liked Bullfrog, and also Sylvie, which sounded a little like Geremia in some of the slide solos. Singing is sounding real good too, stronger and more expressive.

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 04:07:30 PM »
Much appreciated folks!  Yeah, maybe I oughtta change that thread title.  I have a weird sense of humor. :) 
I've been working on my voice a lot more than guitar lately.  I still don't practice singing as much as I should, but I'm learning to control my voice better.  Projection is still an issue (more so with certain songs/keys), but I've definitely made some progress. 
Number 19 on the Portland Reverb Nation blues charts!  Though I'm sure that's mostly from me listening to stuff over and over and over again....

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 04:20:10 PM »
Oh yeah...  Although I don't feel worthy of the Geremia comparison...  I most definitely appreciate it!!  PG, SJ and Alvin are half the reason why I bought a 12 string in the first place (other half of the reason would be: BWMcT, Leadbelly, BBQ Bob, et al.).

Offline sustaireblues

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 05:23:09 AM »
Hey you can't go wrong with inspirations like that!
My list is about the same, except I add MB to that list.  :D

Joe

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »
Hey you can't go wrong with inspirations like that!
My list is about the same, except I add MB to that list.  :D

Joe

You flatter me so...  Thanks, Joe!
One more...  Frank Fotusky is the other modern day 12 stringer that gave me that itch that Todd Cambio's apprentice scratched so very well...

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 01:43:38 PM »
Excellent.  Another one who has crossed over from being enthusiastic amateur to a genuinely classy and entertaining guitarist and singer....

Close Friends is stunning.  That BWJ vibe has scared me off completely to date. So hard to make work.  But you nail it Mike.

When's the CD coming out?! :D

Offline Mike Brosnan

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 03:53:16 PM »
I've said it before, but...  Words of praise like these from folks who know and play this music mean so much more to me than I can even tell you.  This website has been an indispensable resource for me in my never-ending quest to learn as much as I can about country blues.  So thank you again to everyone who has contributed over the years.  I wish I had more time to participate, but... Life happens.  And my wrist issues keep me from typing as much as I'd like to.  Gotta save my energy for guitar!  That said....  There are a few threads I've been meaning to start over here...  I'll try to get to that soon.  Thanks again, y'all!!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal