collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I'm gonna get drunk one of these nights and tell my sober thoughts - Bill Gaither, Georgia Barrelhouse

Author Topic: Emry Arthur--"Man of Constant Sorrow"--Emry Arthur Lyrics  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Emry Arthur--"Man of Constant Sorrow"--Emry Arthur Lyrics
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:10:53 PM »
Hi all,
Emry Arthur recorded an especially fine version of "Man of Constant Sorrow"; his may have been the first version of the song to be recorded.  He accompanied himself on the guitar out of G position in standard tuning, and was joined by a banjo player who was unnamed on the re-issue I have (nor have I been able to find the name in Tony Russell's book). 
Emry accompanied himself with a boom-chang back-up, most often two boom-changs per measure.  Sometimes, though, he'd hit "one down and three up" or boom-chang-chang-chang in a measure.  This variable back-up pattern combined with a vocal phrasing that utilized "dwells" that make the meter long in places results in an interesting and distinctive sound.  For Emry's first half of his first verse it worked out like so--I've indicated single bass notes  ("booms") with a "b" and treble strums ("changs") with a "c", and show where the words and chord changes (capital letters) fall relative to the guitar accompaniment.

D  I--------------- G am  a     man                          of C constant      sorrow                               I   have seen                                   
|   b     c     c    c    b    c    |  b    c    b    c    |   b    c      b    c      |    b    c     b     c  |  b  c    b    c    b     c     |
D trou--------------------ble G all   my     days
|   b     c    c    c    | b     c      b    c    |    b   c    b    c    |    b    c    b    c    |

Emry Arthur holds to this unusually disjunct phrasing through the remainder of his rendition.  Like most things of this sort, as you listen to it a couple of times it becomes familiar and more "normal" than it seems at first.  I think it would be hard to reproduce on the fly or by memory without having worked out some of what was going on in the phrasing, though.  So it is, in any event, that Emry Arthur ended up with a 9-bar form for each half verse like so:
           |      |     |           |      |            |      |             |     |             |        |      |   
| 3/2   D           G  |2/2             |2/2          C    |2/2                 |3/2                     |
           |       |              |        |          |       |         |        |
|2/2    D            |2/2            G   |2/2           |2/2              |

On subsequent passes through the form, Emry Arthur doesn't utilize the "three down, one up" pattern as much as in his first half-verse.  Also in one of the later verses, he resolves to the D chord for the last boom-chang at the end of the first line.  In his singing, Emry Arthur anticipates the Classic Country pronunciation of "never", "nelver".

I am a man of constant sorrow
I have seen trouble all my dears
I bid farewell to old Kentucky
The place where I was borned and raised

Oh, for six long years I've been in trouble
My pleasure here on Earth is done
For, in this world I have to ramble
I have no friends to help me now

Oh, fare you well, my own true lover
I fear I'll nelver see you again
For I am bound to ride the Northern Railroad
Perhaps I'll die upon the train

Oh, you can bury me in some deep valley
For many years, there I may lay
And while you're dreaming, while you're slumbering
While I am sleeping in the clay

Oh, it's fare you well, to my native country
The place where I have loved so well
For I have had all kinds of trouble
In this vain world no tongue can tell

But friends, although I may be a stranger
My face you may nelver see no more
But there's one promise that's been given,
Where we can meet on that beautiful shore

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:21:10 PM by Johnm »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Emry Arthur--"Man of Constant Sorrow"
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 01:24:03 PM »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:59:19 PM by Slack »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:49:10 PM »
Thanks for posting the video, John D.  It's nice for folks to be able to hear the rendition Emry did.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »
What year was that recording? Sounds like it could well have been a stylistic source for Woody Guthrie as well as his protege'.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
He recorded it in 1928 for Vocalion and again in 1931 for Paramount. His brother Henry Arthur played banjo on the first version, but on the Paramount version the banjo is listed as unknown in Country Music Records. Perhaps in addition to travelling to Chicago to record with Emry, Henry travelled to Wisconsin?

According to Tony Russell's Country Music Originals, Arthur also worked at Paramount's Port Washington factory.

It notes that Arthur lost a finger as a boy in a hunting accident, though it's hard to tell which by the photo. Possibly ring finger, left hand. Or half an index finger, right hand.

Lastly, it says that Dick Burnett claims to have written the song in 1912 and taught it to Arthur.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 06:18:37 PM »
Thanks for information on Henry Arthur, Andrew.  I just missed that in Tony Russell's book.  If Dick Burnett indeed wrote the song, good on him, for it is a great song.  If not, shame on him for claiming it.  I think that covers all the bases.
Incidentally, Emry Arthur recorded another song, "The Broken Wedding", that shared the same melody as this version of "Man of Constant Sorrow".
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:26:19 PM by Johnm »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 05:03:45 AM »
I only caught the earlier version on my second look through. I blame tiny print. These discographies should come with magnifying sheets.

I notice that Emry Arthur recorded a song called The Little Black Train Is Coming. I haven't heard it but would be curious to hear how it compares to the Dock Boggs recording.

Offline Alexei McDonald

• Howdy!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 08:52:14 AM »
There's another picture of Emry Arthur at Paramounts Home which shows his hands a little more clearly.

http://www.paramountshome.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_emry%20arthur.jpg

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »
Thanks for that link, Alexei.  It does look like his middle finger is missing just its tip.  For folks who are interested in other songs by Emry Arthur, "In The Heart of the City That Has No Heart", "Reuben, oh Reuben" and "She Lied To Me" have been transcribed elsewhere on the site, and can be found via the tags index.  He was one of those early Country singers, like Kelly Harrell, that I really like, and like Harrell, had a lot of variety in the songs he recorded--Pop, religious, folk ballads, blues.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »
Hi all,
Emry Arthur recorded "The Broken Wedding" around September, 1929, using the same melody he had used for "Man of Constant Sorrow" a year-and-a-half earlier.  He sang it so well.  Going from a boom-chang-chang-chang accompaniment to a boom-chang-boom-chang one is all but gone from present-day Old-Time and Bluegrass rhythm guitar back-up, but it sure is characteristic of the back-up style employed on many of this early era of Old-Time recordings.  I can't find a copy of this performance to post, but if you want to get some sense of how it scans, hold the first word of the first and third lines of each verse very long, pause for an instant in the middle of the line, and you'll have a pretty good sense of how it goes.

My heart is always filled with sorrow
Just weeping as the days go by
For when I think of my true lover
I just hang down my head and cry

I was engaged once to be married
I had in view a happy home
But my parents, they broke up my wedding
That's why I started out to roam

They said someday I would be sorry
For she would turn her back on me
Then, I'd wish to God that I was single
But nevermore would I be free

Oh, since we are no longer sweethearts
This world it seems so sad and blue
For, all I do is sit and wonder
What's left on earth for me to do

Oh, the nights they all seem dark and dreary
And all the days seem long and blue
For, it's hard to lose your own true lover
When your love is good and true.

All best,
Johnm 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 08:37:08 AM »
Hi all,
Forum member Stuart informed me that the JSP set "Appalachian Stomp-Down" includes "The Broken Wedding".  In looking at the track list, it also has at least one of Emry Arthur's versions of "Man of Constant Sorrow", "In The Heart of The City That Has No Heart", and a generous number of other songs by Arthur, including "That Little Black Train Is A-Coming".  The set appears to still be in print.
All best,
Johnm

Offline EmryArthur

• Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 10:17:47 PM »
I'll have to look at my pictures of Emry Arthur and see if any of them show his missing finger. Emry and his first wife Evelyn Florence Hayes were my great grandparents. They married 21 Dec 1920 in Indianapolis IN and had two daughters Mildred and Laura Arthur.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 07:20:06 AM »
Hello Emry Arthur,
Welcome to Weenie Campbell.  I and many other people here have very much enjoyed your great-grandfather's recordings and the music he made on them. 
All best,
John Miller

Offline alyoung

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 02:55:43 AM »
Appalachian Stomp-Down is not now in print, altho' there's someone on Amazon who'll sell you a new copy for $275.90 and someone else has a used copy for $73.99. Ebay shows a couple of copies for $50. The collector reissue label BACM (British Academy of Country Music) has 10 tracks of Emry Arthur (and 12 by Dock Boggs) on BACM CD 274. No Man of Constant Sorrow, Little Black Train or Broken Wedding tho'.

Offline EmryArthur

• Howdy!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 06:18:12 PM »
No fingers missing on left hand.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Emry Arthur--"Man of Constant Sorrow"--Emry Arthur Lyrics
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 10:20:30 PM »
Hi all,
Emry Arthur accompanied himself out of G position in standard tuning for his recording of "Ramblin' Hobo Blues.  I keep thinking Emry Arthur is going to launch into some yodeling, since his melody here is the same one that Jimmie Rodgers used for his blue yodels.  Here is Emry Arthur's recording of the song:

I've always been a rambler, and never would settle down
I've always been a rambler, and never would settle down
Just drinkin' and a-gamblin', hoboin' from town to town

My pockets are all empty, I never get enough to eat
My pockets are all empty, I never get enough to eat
My clothes are torn and ragged, no shoes for my weary feet

I'm riding this old freight train, speeding on down the line
I'm riding this old freight train, i'm speeding on down the line
Just thinkin' of my troubles, and that loving gal of mine

My woman done me dirty, when she told me I was through
My woman done me dirty, when she told me I was through
That's why I started to rambling, and why I'm always feeling blue

I'm just a ramblin' hobo, I ramble all alone
I'm just a ramblin' hobo, I ramble all alone
Ain't got no one to live me, no place to call my home

When my ramblin' days are over, and my gamblin' days are through
When my ramblin' days are over, and my gamblin' days are through
If you'll tell me that you love me, I'll be coming back to you

All best,
Johnm

Offline TenBrook

• darkhollar.tumblr.com
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 09:49:28 AM »
The link LastFirstFace posted (http://oldtimeparty.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/man-of-constant-sorrow-southern-marvel-4/ explains some of the background on the Dick Burnett 'Man of Constant Sorrow' connection but it leaves out how he was associated with the song in the first place, that being his inclusion of the song in a songbook he published in 1913. I thought it was worth adding that factoid here as it's pretty interesting to me that, prior to the advent of recording, some old time musicians (including Blind Alfred Reed & Burnett) made extra money by selling song sheets or song books which in a way were the real first old time 'records'. Charles Wolfe reprints a couple of Burnett's original 'ballets' in his Tennessee Strings book which has now got me wondering where one can find more images of such artifacts.

Anyway, from Wikipedia:
"For the most part [Burnett] had individual song lyrics printed on cards he called "ballets", but occasionally he compiled songbooks such as his 1913 compilation of six songs. Some of these were from other singers, dealing with disasters such as the sinking of the Titanic and the wreck of the FFV but two were notably personal: the autobiographical Song of the Orphan Boy, which was later recorded but not released, and the semi-autobiographical Farewell Song, with its opening line 'I am a man of constant sorrow'."

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 10:38:32 AM »
Dock Boggs had some lyrics printed up as well, and you can see some of them in the liner notes to his Folkways albums (the original three albums, not the combined two-CD set). The liner notes are downloadable for free from the Folkways website, and also the liner notes to the Folkways album of his 12 78 recordings has an excellent and fairly lengthy bio of him as well.
Chris

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 05:46:53 PM »
Hi all,
Emry Arthur recorded "Ethan Lang" at a session on August 30, 1928 in Chicago, backing himself out of E position in standard tuning on guitar and playing harmonica off of a rack.  Here is his performance of the song:

HARMONICA SOLO

My name is Ethan Lang, Ethan Lang
My name is Ethan Lang, Ethan Lang
My name is Ethan Lang, I'm the leader of the gang
And they say that I must hang, dang their eyes

I killed a man, they said, so they said
I killed a man, they said, so they said
I killed a man, they said, when I hit him on the head
And I left him there for dead, dang his eyes

The judge said I must pay, I must pay
The judge said I must pay, I must pay
The judge said I must pay, for the life I took away
Now I'm facing Judgement Day, dang your eyes

They put me in the jail, in the jail
They put me in the jail, in the jail
They put me in the jail, fed me from an iron pail
With no one to go my bail, dang their eyes

The sheriff brought the rope, brought the rope
The sheriff brought the rope, brought the rope
The sheriff brought the rope, and he sprung a ghastly joke
When he said, "I hope you choke", dang his eyes

The jailer, he came too, he came too
The jailer, he came too, he came too
The jailer, he came too, and he brought his nasty crew
For their bloody work to do, dang their eyes

The preacher, he did come, he did come
The preacher, he did come, he did come
The preacher, he did come, and he looked so awful glum
When he talked of Kingdom Come, dang his eyes

Oh, my sweetheart will be there, will be there
Oh, my sweetheart will be there, will be there
Oh, my sweetheart will be there, she's the only one who'll care
When I'm swinging in the air, dang your eyes

Now I bid my last farewell, last farewell
Now I bid my last farewell, last farewell
Now I bid my last farewell, and this story you can tell
How I cursed you as I fell, dang your eyes

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »
Hi all,
Emry Arthur's recording of "Short Life of Trouble" dates from a session in Grafton, Wisconsin in April or May of 1931.  He's joined on it by an unidentified banjo player, who may possibly have been playing a banjo-guitar rather than a five-string banjo, but who was in any event playing out of F position.  The greater portion of the rendition is given over to banjo solos.  This song was recorded earlier by G. B. Grason and Henry Whitter.  Here Emry Arthur's rendition, and what a beautiful song this is:

BANJO SOLO

Short life of trouble, a few more days to part
Short life of trouble, poor girl, for a boy with a broken heart

BANJO SOLO X 2

Some of these days, little woman, and it won't be very long
You'll hang your head in sorrow, little girl, for I will be long gone

BANJO SOLO X 2

BANJO SOLO X 2

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:51:01 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 10:40:50 AM »
Hi all,
Emry Arthur recorded "The Bootlegger's Lullaby" at a session in Chicago on January 17, 1935, accompanying himself with a simple boom-chang-chang waltz back-up in G position, standard tuning.  The song has the same melody as the Carter Family song "Texas Girl".  The song is not available on youtube, but can be found on the JSP set, "Appalachian Stomp Down".

My home is in the mountains, I was raised up in the hills
The only work I ever done was run a moonshine still
I always made good whiskey and I sold it by the pail
Until a sheriff caught me and he locked me up in jail

The sheriff came and got me, just at the break of day
He said he had been watchin' me, and now I had to pay
He tore my still to pieces, poured my whiskey on the ground
And put the handcuffs on me, until we got to town

He took me to the courthouse, we walked right by the jail
I didn't see no one at all, no one to go my bail
But when the court did open and I heared them call my case
I knew just what would happen, but I looked him in the face

The judge said, "Are you guilty?", to blind tiger man
I told him I made whiskey, the best in the land
He said, "Stand up and listen to what I'm going to say.
I'm going to lock up up in jail for six months and one day."

The sheriff took me to the jail and locked me in my cell
But the joke, it was on him, for I didn't tell
The day that he arrested me, and took me to town
He didn't know I had ten barrels, buried in the ground

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:42:23 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »
Hi all,
Emmy Arthur recorded "Empty Pocket Blues" at a session in Chicago on August 30, 1928, accompanying himself out of G position in standard tuning.  The performance can be found on the new JSP "Clarence Ashley" set, along with a host of other great performances.  Arthur's time-keeping is perfectly straight-up-and-down, and is what I would call beneficially plain; his no-frills accompaniment provides a perfect backdrop for his singing.  I'll see if this one is on youtube, but I don't think it is.

Oh, blues on my mind, baby, blues all around my bed
Oh, the blues on my mind,, blues all around my bed
For I dreamed last night, the one I love was dead

I'm going down to the railroad, lay my head down on the track
I'm going down to the railroad, lay my head down on the track
But a-wehn I think about my woman, just watch me pull it back

I'm just a good-hearted boy, dropped into your town
I'm just a good-hearted boy, dropped into your town
While a bunch of your good people, they're trying to throw me down

When I've a-got plenty money, I've got friends all around
When I've got plenty money, I've got friends all around
But a-when my pocketbook is empty, not a friend can be found

Now, when you see two women, running a-hand in hand
Now, when you see two women, running a-hand in hand
Go down and bet your bottom dollar, one's got the other one's man

I'm gonna bury my woman, six foot down under the ground
I'm gonna bury my woman, six foot under the ground
And I'll bet my last dollar, she'll have her face turned down

Oh, it's you'll be sorry, you'll be sorry some day
Oh, it's you'll be sorry, you'll be sorry some day
Oh, it's you'll be sorry, that you done me this-a-way

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 03:36:38 PM »
Hi all,
I was excited to find that Emry Arthur has an epic two-part version of "Frankie" re-issued on the JSP "Clarence Ashley" set, entitled "Frankie Baker-Part 1" and "Frankie Baker-Part 2".  He recorded the versions in Chicago on June 18, 1929, and accompanied himself out of G position in standard tuning for the songs.  He has a lot of details in his lyrics to these versions that I have encountered in no other versions of Frankie.  Here are his lyrics to "Frankie Baker-Part 1" and "Frankie Baker-Part 2":

"Frankie Baker-Part 1" 

Frankie was a good woman, like everybody knows
She gave one hundred dollars, for Albert, a suit of clothes
For he's her man, her gamblin' man

That suit was in the pawn shop, before the day went by
And he went and spent that money, on a girl named Alice Frye
He done her wrong, and he didn't come home

Frankie went to the barroom, she called for a glass of beer
She asked the barroom tender, "Has Albert Jones been here?
He is my man, my gamblin' man."

"Don't you ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies."
Says, "A man left here about an hour ago with a girl named Alice Frye.
It was your man, your gamblin' man."

Frankie set down at the table, she ordered a glass of gin
She told the barroom tender, "I'm a-gonna get drunk again.
Lord, I want my man, my gamblin' man."

Frankie looked out the window, then she hung her head down low
Says, "A-give me out that .44, that's the Albert Jones I know.
He done me wrong, and he didn't come home."

Frankie left the barroom, she didn't leave there for fun
Underneath that silk kimono, she carried that .44 gun
She was looking' for her man, her gamblin' man

Frankie went down the street with a .44 in her hand
Says, "Stand back, you ladies, I'm a-lookin' for my man.
For he's my man, Lord, Lord, and he done me wrong."

Frankie went down the alley, she heard a bulldog bark
She looked and seen poor Albert, slippin' away in the dark
"There goes my man, and he done me wrong."

Poor Albert seen her coming, he started out to run
She says, "Come back to the one you love, or I'll shoot you with this gun."
She shot poor Albert, right to the ground, Lord, Lord

"Frankie Baker-Part 2"

Frankie heard the police coming, she heard the patrol bell ring
But before she left poor Albert, she took his diamond ring
She left her man, Lord, Lord, her gamblin' man

"Turn me over, Doctor, turn me over slow.
Turn me over on my right side, my left side hurts me so.
I'm shot in the side, with a .44."

"Bring on your rubber-tired hearses, bring on your rubber-tired hack
Take my man to the graveyard, but bring his wristwatch back.
He was my man, Lord, Lord, but he done me wrong.

Thirteen men in mourning, thirteen men in black
Went out to the graveyard, and only twelve come back
They left her man, her gamblin' man

Frankie went to the graveyard, all dressed up in black
She fell down over Albert Jones, says, "I wish I had you back,
But you done me wrong, when you wouldn't come home."

Frankie went to the parlor, set down by the 'electric fan
She advised her three sisters, not to marry no gamblin' man
"They'll do you wrong, every time, and they won't come home."

Frankie looked up the street, as far as she could see
The band was on the corner, playing "Nearer My God To Thee"
She says, "Oh Lord, Lord, Lord, what have I done?"

Frankie looked down the street, as far as she could see
She seen four white horses, says, "They're comin' after me,
'Cause I killed my man, but he done me wrong."

Frankie went to the depot, she got on the fast mail train
She was wearing Albert's wristwatch and a great big diamond ring
She stole them both from her gamblin' man

Now, if you love a girl like Frankie, love her and treat her right
You can go out in the morning, but come back home at night
Then she'll do no harm, but you must come home, Lord, Lord

To see more versions of Frankie, go to the Song of the Month thread on "Frankie & Johnnie", at:  http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=11398.msg100691#msg100691, or check in Weeniepedia under Song Families.

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:06:39 PM by Johnm »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 06:44:12 PM »
Too cool!  The lyrics are great!  Maybe add a link to the SOTM thread...

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 07:31:48 PM »
That's a great idea, John D., I will do just that!  I had forgotten that "Frankie and Johnny" was one of the Songs of the Month.  I already put both parts up on the Song Family page in Weeniepedia, where we currently have 19 versions of Frankie transcribed.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »
Great version. I mentally recited them to John Hurt's Frankie (what else?)
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 04:04:31 PM »
Hi all,
Emry Arthur once again accompanied himself out of G position in standard tuning for his recording of "Train Whistle Blues", recorded on August 30, 1928.  The song sounds related to "K. C. Moan" or John Jackson's "Steamboat Whistle Blues", but is a 12-bar blues (more or less) rather than a 16-bar blues, like those songs.  Arthur's song has a really old feel about it, with many verses employing an AAA structure, like some of Henry Thomas's songs, like "Bull Doze Blues".

INTRO

I heard that old train when she blowed
Oh, I heard that old train when she blowed
Oh, she blowed like she never blowed before

She blowed like my sweetheart was on board
Oh, she blowed like my sweetheart was on board
Oh, she blowed like my sweetheart was on board

That same train that went down that line
Oh, that same train that went down that line
It carried away that sweetheart of mine

I followed her to the station door
Oh, I followed her to the station door
I says, "Baby, I won't see you any more."

I fell on my knees and I prayed
Oh, I fell on my knees and I prayed
That she would come back some old day

That same train's a-gonna carry me away
Oh, that same train's a-gonna carry me away
Oh, that same train's a-gonna carry me away

I'll stand in my own cabin door
Oh, I'll stand in my own cabin door
I'll stand in my own cabin door

Go make me a pallet on the floor,
Oh, make me a pallet on the floor
So I can sleep, to wake no more

And it's when I'm dead, you can ship me back to Ma
Oh, it's when I'm dead, you can ship me back to Ma
Oh, it's when I'm dead, you can ship me back to Ma

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
Hi all,
Emry Arthur was joined by Della Hatfield for the vocal duet, "Sunshine And Shadows", recorded in October or November of 1929.  Emry once again backed himself out of G position in standard tuning, but he was tuned a full minor third low, so he sounded in E.  It is such a distinctive sound, being tuned so low of concert pitch.  I think this is one of my favorite Old-Time duets I've heard.  The pair sing beautifully together, and the way they inflect their held notes is so expressive. Della Hatfield uses a lot of glottal fry as she comes off her notes, edging into falsetto in a way that you often hear in Appalachian ballad singing.  This is a wonderful, soulful rendition.  I'll show Della Hatfield's extra responses in parentheses.  I don't believe this rendition is up on youtube, but it is worth seeking out if you enjoy great Old-Time singing.  It can be found on the recent JSP "Clarence Ashley" set.

Sunshine (sunshine), oh blessed sunshine, don't let the dark shadows fall
Sweetheart (sweetheart), darling sweetheart, I'll always love you best of all

Darkness (darkness), oh lonely darkness, along my weary pathway fell
'Til you brought ('til you brought) the cheery sunshine, that you knew (that you knew) I love so well

This life has been dark and dreary (dark and dreary), and my friends have been so few
I am still hoping and praying, to spend my last (to spend my last) days with you

CHORUS:  Will you (will you) always be true, dear, live just for me, that's all?
I'll forever (I'll forever) bring you sunshine, and never let (and never let) the shadows fall

Let your dai-(then let your dai)ly actions tell me, of a heart that must be true
There will come (there'll come) a time, my darling, when I prove (when I prove) my love for you

Should I ne-(should I ne)ver more see you, remember every word I said
My soul will be true forever, when my heart (when my heart) is still and dead

CHORUS:  Will you (will you) always be true, dear, live just for me, that's all?
I'll forever (I'll forever) bring you sunshine, and never let (and never let) the shadows fall

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:28:40 PM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2020, 06:06:54 PM »
Hi all,
Emmy Arthur recorded "Six Months In Jail Ain't Long" at a session in Chicago on January 17, 1935, accompanying himself out of G position in standard tuning.  It's a very straight rendition, in both the singing and the accompaniment, of a kind that's pretty much altogether absent from present-day Country Music.  His performance of the song is not up on Youtube, but it is included in the JSP set, "Clarence Ashley--Country Music Pioneer", which has over a full disc out of the four-disc set devoted to Emry Arthur songs.  The song is a waltz.

INTRO

I went out the other night to have a good time
I got myself in trouble, and now I'm serving time
They took me down to the old courthouse and put me on the stand
"Just six months in the county jail, I'll give to this young man."

REFRAIN: Six months, six months, six months ain't long
Six months ain't long, little girl
Six months ain't long for me to be gone
Six months in jail ain't long

They took me down to the county jail, the jailer turned the key
He said, "My boy, in six long months from this place you will be free."
He turned around and walked away, he had no more to say
Just tell my girl that I'll see her in six months from today

Now I don't like to be in jail, for it is a dirty place
The judge, I know I can't forget, when he looked me in the face
He said, "Stand up for sentence, boy."  That's when my face grew pale
He said, "I'll give you six long months down in our county jail."

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 12:38:38 PM »
Hi all,
Emry Arthur recorded "Going Around The World" at a session in Indianapolis on June 25, 1928, accompanying himself out of F position in standard tuning and playing harmonica off of a rack.  The song shares its melody and structure with "The Crawdad Song" ("You get a line, and I'll get a pole, honey, etc.)  throughout the song, Arthur employs a "one down--three up" or "boom-chang-chang-chang" back-up style.  Here is the song.

HARMONICA SOLO

I'm going around this world, baby mine
I'm goin' around this world, baby mine
I'm goin' around this world with a banjo-pickin' girl

I'm goin' 'cross the ocean, baby mine
I'm goin' 'cross the ocean, baby mine
I'm goin' across the ocean, if I don't change my notion

I'm goin' across the sea, baby mine
I'm a-goin' across the sea, baby mine
I'm goin' across the sea, won't you come and go with me?

HARMONICA SOLO

I'm going to Chattanoogy, baby mine
I'm going to Chattanoogy, baby mine
I'm going to Chattanoogy, get a ticket there for Cuby

I'm workin' by the day, baby mine
I'm workin' by the day, baby mine
I'm workin' by the day, to get money to pay your way
So we can go around this world, baby mine

I'll tell you what I'll do, baby mine
I'll tell you what I'll do, baby mine
I'll tell you what I'll do, I sure will stick to you
And we'll go around this world, baby mine

HARMONICA SOLO

I'm gonna write a letter, baby mine
I'm gonna write a letter, baby mine
I'm a-gonna write a letter, I'll tell 'em that you're better
We're goin' around this world, baby mine

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »
Hi all,
Emry Arthur recorded "Nobody's Business" at a recording session in Indianapolis on June 25, 1928, backing himself out of E position in standard tuning and playing harmonica on a rack.  As with "Going Around The World", Emry Arthur used a "boom-chang-chang-chang" accompaniment.  Here is the song, and it seems likely that it may have been the source of John Hurt's rhyming Pensacola and Coca-Cola in his own version of the song:

INTRO

REFRAIN: It's nobody's business, nobody's business
Nobody's business but my own

If cigarettes run me crazy, if morphine kills my baby
It's nobody's business but my own

If I get drunk and boozy, and I go see my Suzy,

SOLO

If I get drunk and dizzy, and I go see my Lizzie

When I get on clover, I'll do that same thing over

REFRAIN: It's nobody's business, a-nobody's business

SOLO

When I went to see her, they thought I'd come to steal her

REFRAIN: It's nobody's business, a-nobody's business

I'm goin' down to Pensacola, get drunk on Coca-Cola

All best,
Johnm

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2020, 07:02:04 AM »
Well I'd like to add two things to this long, varied interesting thread.  The banjo on the first topic, Man of Constant Sorrow is two finger picked and the player was quite comfortable with what was happening.  Later in this thread more songs are discussed and "Going Around The World", which is also called "Banjo Picking Girl" which has a similar yet different melody with eluding to the IV chord in the first refrain

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2020, 09:55:49 AM »
Hi all,
Emmy Arthur recorded "Don't Get Married" at a session in Chicago on January 17, 1935 that ended up being his last day in the studio.  This one is begging for an "answer song" sung by a woman, a fine old Country Music tradition.  He accompanied himself out of G position in standard tuning for the song, and here it is:

Come listen to my story, it's for both old and young
When you get married and settle down your troubles have begun
The kind of wife that you desire, I'm sure you'll never find
They're never glad, but they're always mad, and they're yelling all the time

Don't get married, don't get married, this advice you'd better take
For it's, "Give me, give me, give me.", they'll spend every cent you make

You'll work all week and draw your pay and come home feeling fine
And then your wife will take the dough, she won't leave you a dime
She'll buy herself a new silk dress and two or three pair of shoes
And you'll sit back just like a sap and always have the blues

Oh, don't get married, don't get married, this advice you'd better take
For it's, "Buy me this and buy me that", they'll spend all you make

A woman will deceive you and never treat you right
They'll tell you that they love you, but they'll stay out every night
They'll go off to the movies and take some other man
They'll take your dough so you can't go, you'll do the best you can

For it's, "Gimme, gimme, gimme.", they'll spend every cent you make

You may think I am crazy for singing you this song
But you will all agree with me before you're married long
You'll have to work hard every day and stay home every night
If you step out, there ain't no doubt, your wife will start a fight

For it's "Buy me this and buy me that.", they'll spend all you make

All best,
Johnm

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:08:05 AM by Johnm »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2020, 03:42:42 PM »
Hi all,
Emry Arthur recorded "Wandering Gypsy Girl" at a session in Indianapolis on June 20, 1928, accompanying himself out of C position in standard tuning, playing a one down-three up picking pattern, boom-chang-chang-chang, for the most part.  Charlie Poole also recorded this song, with a slightly different melody and set of lyrics.  I really like the idea of this being a Pop record.  Here is "Wandering Gypsy Girl":

INTRO

My father was a captain of a gypsy tribe, you know
My mother, she gave me some counting to do
With a knapsack on my shoulder, I'll bid you all farewell
I'll take a trip to London, some fortunes to tell
Some fortunes to tell, some fortunes to tell
I'll take a trip to London, some fortunes to tell

As I went a-walking, all down the London streets
A handsome young lawyer was the first I chanced to meet
Was the first I chanced to meet, was the first I chanced to meet
A handsome young lawyer was the first I chanced to meet

He viewed my pretty little brown cheeks, was the ones he loved so well
Says, "You, a little gypsy girl, will you my fortune tell?
Will you my fortune tell, will you my fortune tell?
You are a little gypsy girl, will a-you my fortune tell?"

"Oh yes, sir, oh please, sir, hold out to me your hand.
You have a many fine fortunes in a far-off distant land.
In a far-off distant land, in a far-off distant land,
You have a many fine fortunes in a far-off distant land."

"You've courted many fair ladies, but you've laid them all aside.
And I'm a little gypsy girl, I'm the one to be your bride.
I'm the one to be your bride, I'm the one to be your bride,
I'm a little gypsy girl, I'm the one to be your bride."

He took me, he led me to his house on yonder's shore
While servants stood waiting, to open wide the door
To open wide the door, to open wide the door
While servants stood waiting to open wide the door

The bells, they did ring and the music, it did play
It was a celebration of a gypsy's wedding day
Of a gypsy's wedding day, of a gypsy's wedding day
It was a celebration of a gypsy's wedding day

Oh, oncet I was a gypsy girl, but now I'm a rich man's bride
With servants to wait on me while in my carriage ride