collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I never was much for hard work. That's why I took up the piano in the first place. - Romeo Nelson, quoted in the notes to Rugged Piano Classics, Origin OJL 15

Author Topic: Leaving Blues - Original Song  (Read 741 times)

bayrum78

Leaving Blues - Original Song
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:56:14 PM »
The good thing about playing an original song is you know how everything  goes - the tuning, chord progression and the lyrics. The bad thing is, for better or for worse, it's your song....

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Leaving Blues - Original Song
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »
The other good thing is that when we have a tough time transcribing the lyrics, which we most certainly will, we can just ask you about the tough parts!   :P

I like it Nate - very funky!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »
I agree with John D., Nate, I quite like this one.  The time lick is great, and you make good use of the tuning for a distinctive sound.  The vocal meshes real well with the the timing and accents of the guitar part, too.  Good on you for coming up with your own tune to play.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 12:03:59 PM »
Really funky gritty groove.  I like.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:21:29 PM by Norfolk Slim »

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 12:15:36 PM »
Yep - that's driving the nail through the heart of the matter! Good stuff.

bayrum78

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »
Many thanks to everyone for your responses!

Overall I'm pleased with the song but think I could improve on the vocal phrasing by slightly changing the metre when repeating a line. I hear this all the time listening to CB songs - adding or dropping a word or compressing/extending a word but maintaining the same number of bars changes chords a the same time.  Also adding half a bar or more with slightly longer vocal phrasing could work well. I did that in one verse and I think it sounds interesting.  Also, The beginning and end might be stronger with a tag on of bluesy melody that leads into the beginning or end chord.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 07:56:23 AM »
Great sound, nice and raw. :D I agree with the others, and also with your own analysis, Nate. A lot of what you say can come with time spent living with a tune as well, IMO, as it becomes more second nature and you stretch out.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal