collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Rather than see someone else mistreat you, I'd rather keep you and mistreat you myself - J.T. Funny Papa Smith, Mama, Quittin' and Leavin'

Author Topic: Trying to start sliding...  (Read 10934 times)

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
Re: starting out slidin'
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2015, 06:09:43 AM »
Fretboard Roadmaps for Slide Guitar (Sokolow) might be another option.

I bought it and If I remember correctly that's a book and an audio cd with no visual. The sound samples were of electric guitar with a backing track.

That's correct. The book is blues based but maybe to blues-rock orientated for us acoustic freaks.
And yes raising the action on your guitar is the first thing you do when playing with a slide.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 06:13:37 AM by harry »

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2015, 06:55:51 AM »
Feldmann is a good place to begin but just get a slide, tune to Spanish or Vastapol and start sliding without worrying too much so that you get a feel for things and start to get a clean sound. This will put you in a betr place to decide on which equipment would best suit. Then get stuck into some songs.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2015, 09:26:36 AM »
I think youtube is a good place to at least explore -- sometimes you have to wade through a bunch of muck, but I am often surprised by the good instruction on youtube.  Searching for "acoustic blues slide guitar lesson" turns up lots of hits.  One recommendation - I see many on youtube putting the slide on their third finger.  Use your pinky, in the long run it is a more versatile technique.  Get a slide that has a little heft to it.

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2015, 11:09:19 AM »
Hi Zohar:

I agree with Slack that Youtube is a good place to start, and also about using your pinky and getting a slide with a some weight to it. Orville Johnson has a nice intro to slide:

I recommend getting a couple of different slides to start with--one with a tighter fit and one with a looser fit--and learn how to use them both (precision vs. vibrato). I'd definitely stay away from the pricey designer or boutique items until you're sure that they are right for you.

There's so much on Youtube that's it's difficult to find the time to watch the seemingly endless offerings, but take a look at Catfish Keith for his use of vibrato. And of course, Ry Cooder.

I've seen Brozman's series and IMHO, it's quite informative. But to say the allegations that surfaced after his death have been troubling for many of us, is an understatement.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:33:44 PM by Stuart »

Offline jrn

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »
Yeah definitely use your pinky.

I'd suggest staying away from those cheap pyrex slides.
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2015, 07:55:04 PM »
Hey Zohar:

This might be worth considering:

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/TheOriginal.html

Not dirt cheap, but not exorbitant either. I'd go with the rolled 1/4 round. If you get one with a little slop or wobble, it'll help with the vibrato.

I'd suggest staying away from those cheap pyrex slides.

I broke my treasured, hand made by me, real bottle bottleneck slide back in the mid-70s and bought a "Clear Glass" brand (remember those?) small heavy to use in its place in a pinch. I was able to adjust to it and it worked pretty well until I could make a suitable replacement. I think Clear Glass went out of business, but Dunlop makes a similar product. Yeah, I prefer the good stuff, but I can play with the cheap shit junk as well.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2015, 07:59:43 PM »
Part of the fun is starting your very own slide collection.  Much cheaper than collecting guitars!   :P

Offline Zoharbareket

• Howdy!
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2015, 12:57:48 AM »
Wow, thank you all very much!

Funny, I didnt even think about the actual slide when I posted the original question....I guess I'll have to look into that.

I'll check out the lessons mentioned here, thank you very much again!

Z

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »
Hi Zohar:

There are some videos and how-to's on the web:

http://tinyurl.com/pe2g76b

I watched a couple and they seemed okay, although I would recommend wearing eye protection. If you or someone you know has a Dremel tool or a similar tool with a cutting disk for ceramics and/or glass, they should also work. The Dremel has attachments that will work well for smoothing the rough edges.

Also, a while back we discussed the "Delta Slider" bottleneck that Elderly sold at one time. I checked and it looks like the website is still up, although I don't know if they are currently available.

http://emol.org/music/musicians/glombecki/delta.html

Offline Zoharbareket

• Howdy!
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2015, 08:40:42 AM »
Hi Zohar:

There are some videos and how-to's on the web:

http://tinyurl.com/pe2g76b

I watched a couple and they seemed okay, although I would recommend wearing eye protection. If you or someone you know has a Dremel tool or a similar tool with a cutting disk for ceramics and/or glass, they should also work. The Dremel has attachments that will work well for smoothing the rough edges.

Also, a while back we discussed the "Delta Slider" bottleneck that Elderly sold at one time. I checked and it looks like the website is still up, although I don't know if they are currently available.

http://emol.org/music/musicians/glombecki/delta.html
Thank  you so much Stuart,  I was  inspired by the how-to videos and made one myself! Its much easier than I thought.
Here is my second attempt at making a bottle neck slider (the first one didnt come out so great...):

Now i just have to learn how to use the thing!

Best,

Z

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2015, 08:46:58 AM »
Very cool Z!  congratulations, you now have a very hip slide - assuming you smoothed the ragged edges over!

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2015, 09:17:01 AM »
Well done, Zohar! Like Slack says, make sure the edges get smoothed out.

Some glass and ceramic artists use a wet belt sander to smooth rough edges. But it's not like there's a glass artist on every corner. However, it might be worth your while to check to see if there's anyone in your area that has one.

Offline Zoharbareket

• Howdy!
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2015, 10:10:32 AM »
Thanks guys!

Yes,  I still need to smooth the edges some..

It was fun making it,  think I'll make some more!

Z

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Offline joe paul

« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2015, 02:39:30 AM »
Hi Zohar, that's a great way to start out with slide, cutting your own !

I expect you've got a bunch of songs in your head you want to learn, but if you're thinking about trying some instructional material, my vote is for Steve James, like this for free on youtube :

or with his videos or book/mp3 thing :
http://store.acousticguitar.com/collections/frontpage/products/roots-and-blues-fingerstyle-guitar?variant=188840462

Have a good time playing ! 

Gordon

Offline Zoharbareket

• Howdy!
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2015, 11:13:13 AM »
thank you Gordon, I'll check Steve James out!

Be well,

Z

Tags: slide 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal