collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It costs too much to live, but I guess I'd better try. The undertaker's got a union, and it costs too much to die - Anon., The High Cost of Livin'

Author Topic: Country blues legends that you just don't like  (Read 20037 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Country blues legends that you just don't like
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2010, 05:45:28 PM »
I've come to realize that if I don't like something that's rated by the people around here it's just a future treat in store when I do finally get it one day. I'd have run out of "new" influences a long time ago if that hadn't been the case.

You'd probably be surprised if I posted a list of people held in high regard on this board that I don't find inspiring, currently. At least two of them inspire regular threads on here so clearly I just haven't got it.

So there you go, a future treat awaits me. There's no real point in me posting my list since I'll regret it one day, sooner or later.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2010, 06:29:18 PM »
I've come to realize that if I don't like something that's rated by the people around here it's just a future treat in store when I do finally get it one day.

That's a great way to put it!

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2010, 06:50:56 PM »
Voices crying in the wilderness, "help me, help meeeee understand...."

Here's my list, I couldn't resist:

Mississippi Sheiks. However I know darn well I'd be into them with a passion if I knew any mad CB fiddle players.
Ishmon Bracey. I sincerely do not get him on any level, as of yet. 'Interesting' describes my strongest ever emotion so far.
Blind Blake about 80% of the time bores me completely senseless. The other 20% however makes up for it, and there are good-going-on-great moments throughout the other 80% obviously.
Henry Thomas. Tags for Africa on WC, almost a religious obsession. There must be more to it than I'm getting so I look forward to that flash of enlightenment.
Sam Collins. Sorry, I know, very uncool to not be a Sam fan. He just doesn't do it for me as yet.

So I have a lot to look forward to. The list would have been a lot longer ten years ago and would have included some what are now firm favorites like Lightnin' Hopkins and Arthur Crudup. Mostly I lock onto players I haven't yet appreciated through other people playing something. Being with people who are inspired inspires me so I will try and play it myself. Then the light goes on.

That's the great thing about workshops and focused jam sessions.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 07:15:58 PM by Rivers »

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2011, 04:00:40 AM »
Reverend Gary Davis

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2011, 08:16:22 AM »
Everyone's entitled to their opinion Harry. Unfortunately. :D
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2011, 09:55:17 AM »
Dad Nelson. The kazoo is overecorded and...I just can?t tell. Normally he should fit perfectly my musical likings but I find myself skipping his tracks on the "Rare Paramount Blues" CD every time.
You canīt trust your baby when the ice man comes hanging around :D

Offline maddoggirl

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2011, 10:38:57 AM »
Lightnin' Hopkins leaves me pretty cold. Generic lyrics with none of the verve that can make them stand out.

Ishman Bracey is someone I really want to like, but at the moment I can't quite face that combination of thick record interference and mushmouthed bellowing. And this is someone who loves Charley Patton  ;)

Although keep in mind that I don't generally take musical ability much into account because I'm utterly incapable of noticing it. Sure, I can instinctively hear that people like MJH have amazing talent, but at the other end of the scale only if a guitarist is genuinely terrible would I ever notice, and possibly not even then.
rambling about movies, from 1930 on up at http://resilientlittlemuscle.blogspot.com/

Offline Blind Arthur

• Romancescam
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »
I have not liked everybody?s style at the beginning of collecting, especially when, by obtaining cheap samplers and 3-pounds-a-piece LPs first, I didn?t have the whole picture. Hehe. That?s how I started.
I remember well that I was at once hooked on Blind Blake?s wonderful playing or Peg Leg Howell?s rough but so friendly sounding singing - but I needed years, and it was not before getting the whole Doc. series (have had back luck with samplers and their editors? tastes :) ) to really appreciate and finally embrace Blind Lemon?s style, metaphorically.
The same with Charlie Patton. Got the Blues Collection CD first but... no. The same thing. The complete recordings made me hooked and have ever since.
Leadbelly, also the same. 3 tracks on a 1960ies 3 LP box of blues in general won me over (later learnt, all from Musicraft sessions) but I?m afraid the Sony Columbia CD of Leadbelly, hmmm...it is no doubt an important edition but it?s the least likeable one (for me) amidst all Leadbelly CDs I own or know.

Pre war blues artists I have never liked and still don?t do, very very very few. Maybe Spark Plug Smith, too; he sounds more like a crooner to me. Oh well, tastes :)

You can simply start out on the "wrong" sampler of an artist! "Wrong" because the editor has a diff. taste from yours (or diff. records available to issue). Thsis problem may be in every form of art though.
You canīt trust your baby when the ice man comes hanging around :D

Offline cc132

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2011, 11:07:46 AM »
I love Blind Blake, but if I'd be thrilled to never heard "Diddie Wah Diddie" again.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2011, 04:32:45 AM »
I love Blind Blake, but if I'd be thrilled to never heard "Diddie Wah Diddie" again.

Love Muddy Waters but don't wanna hear "hoochie coochie man" anymore.

Wanna say something about my Reverend Gary Davis comment, it's the singing that I just don't like.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2011, 06:53:44 AM »
Wanna say something about my Reverend Gary Davis comment, it's the singing that I just don't like.

All those years of singing on street corners didn't do his voice much good.
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2011, 10:59:12 AM »
I thought Gary Davis's voice was astounding, epic, amazing. Also think Lightnin' Hopkins was an amazing showman and awesome earlier recordings. Reading this thread highlights how everyone has their own tastes independent of the artist's actual greatness.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »
If you're separating RGD' guitar playing from his singing you're missing the point i.e. the whole damn thing , I mean imho of course. They are not two separate events in his music they are one.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline unezrider

« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2011, 08:37:10 PM »
hello friend,
"If you're separating RGD' guitar playing from his singing you're missing the point i.e. the whole damn thing , I mean imho of course. They are not two separate events in his music they are one."
A-F'n-Men, O'Muck!
i understand everyone has their own points of view. but in my opinion, people's dislike for davis' vocals may have more to do with hearing him on some of those stefan grossman compilations. (home recordings, guitar instructions, & the like that were never intended for public consumption) there are some terrific performances on those discs. but also there are a good share of throw-away vocal attempts.
listen to davis' early recordings on yazoo, "pure religion & bad company", "harlem street singer", "a little more faith", "say no to the devil", any of those albums. he's one of my favorites.
then again, i am assuming here. maybe some just don't like his voice  :-\
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal