collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
First thing you got to remember, there ain't no money above the fifth fret - Larry Barnwell, a regional sales rep for the Martin Guitar Company and a good flatpicker, when asked by a potential customer, a fingerpicker, whether he should buy a 12- or 14-fret guitar

Author Topic: an old sam chatmon picture  (Read 8543 times)

Offline ryan

an old sam chatmon picture
« on: December 02, 2004, 11:15:37 PM »
hey everyone.  I thought some of you might enjoy this pic I came across awhile back of Sam Chatmon.  When I see frozen moments of history like these I can't help but ponder what they did that day or what were they thinking at that particular moment in time.  What a great picture!!  By the way what kind of guitar is that?  I love it!!  It reminds me of a gibson recording king.
take care,
Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ryan

Re: an old sam chatmon picture
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 11:28:06 PM »
So in further research this picture was from the following album: Sam Chatmon: The Mississippi Sheik
(since I wasn't alive then the only Sam chatmon I've been able to get my hands on is the cd 1970-74):

Here is the tracklisting from that record (if any of you have it I would like to buy it, puweeeesssse)
- Go Back Old Devil
- B & O Blues
- Love Come Falling Down
- Make Me A Pallet On The Floor
- Vacation Blues
- Last Chance Shaking In The Bed With Me
- Blues In E

- Streching Them Things
- Brownskin Woman Blues
- Fool About My Loving
- Turnup Greens
- Cold Blooded Murder Blues
- Sam's Rag
- Cross Cut Saw Blues
- Kansas City Blues

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 08:55:43 AM »
Hi Ryan, the guitar is a Gibson L-4, an acoustic archtop.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson2.html

Nice pic!

slack

iplayamartin0016

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 09:49:31 AM »
I just got a dvd from Stefan Grossman which features Sam Chatmon playing guitar and I am captivated!  Since then I've been searching and researching on the net and trying to listen to everything that I can.  I have some questions though:

1.  On this site http://www.shs.starkville.k12.ms.us/mswm/MSWritersAndMusicians/musicians/ChatmonSam.html they say "Sam was one of the few white bluesman to perform with Fingers Taylor on the Blues Caravan in the 1970's  Is this true?

2.  Has anyone heard an album with Colin Linden called Sam Chatmon and his BBQ Boys

Thanks.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 11:28:50 AM »
That biography is a bit strange in the reference to Sam as white - I don't think anyone has ever considered the Chatmon family as white.  Definately mixed race, some indian probably.

John Miller knew Sam Chatmon personally, spendt time with him when JOhnm was in College I beleive  - John must be on the road or something, but when he gets back he may be able to answer your questions.

Cheers,
slack

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 11:29:32 AM »
1.? On this site http://www.shs.starkville.k12.ms.us/mswm/MSWritersAndMusicians/musicians/ChatmonSam.html they say "Sam was one of the few white bluesman to perform with Fingers Taylor on the Blues Caravan in the 1970's? Is this true?

I have no idea whether Sam played on the Blues Caravan in the 1970's, but it's certainly not true that Sam was white.

2.? Has anyone heard an album with Colin Linden called Sam Chatmon and his BBQ Boys

I haven't, no. ?Sam's a very fine singer & player, though. ?His tracks on I Have To Paint My Face (Arhoolie) really stand out among the other recordings on that CD.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 12:24:35 PM »
Hi all,
Nice to see Sam mentioned.? He was a great musician and was a big influence on me, just seeing the way he conducted himself and lived his life.? As John D and Frank have said, Sam was definitely not white, at least not as we think of such things in the States.? His own description of his ethnic heritage was that his father was "half Irishman and half nigger", and his mother was "half white and half Choctaw".? So in a genetic make-up sense (a stupid concept), I suppose Sam was more white than anything else.? That having been said, Sam and his family were definitely perceived and treated as being black in Bolton, Mississippi where he grew up.? He did a couple of songs, "I Have to Paint My Face", that Frank alluded to, and "The Yellow Coon Has No Race", that spoke to his own complicated sense of ethnic identity.
I think Sam's music is very under-rated.? I prefer his singing to Bo's, and I'm a big fan of Bo.? Sam had a big, bright voice, just like a bell, and if you have not heard his early recording of "If You Don't Want Me Please Don't Dog Me 'Round", with his brother Lonnie on fiddle in a Sheiks-like line-up, you are in for a real treat.? He was also a nifty guitar player with some moves in dropped-D and A standard that I have not seen anyone else do (who did not cop them from him).
I have never heard the recording of Sam with Colin Linden that Iplayamartin0016 asks about, but Ari Eisinger has always spoken very highly of Colin's musicianship, so it may be really good.
All best,
Johnm? ?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 04:15:22 PM by Johnm »

iplayamartin0016

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 08:19:48 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up John.  I'm on the lookout for that album as it has been out of print for a long time.  If I find it I'll pass along a copy t o you.

iplayamartin0016

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 07:54:53 AM »
I just got this email from Colin Linden:

Thanks Randall.  I'm trying to convince True North Records (my new
label) to re-release it on CD.  Hopefully, it'll work.  Currently, it's
only available on vinyl- as a remainder on Flying Fish Records.

I'll be the first one to buy it if it comes out!!!

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 09:24:21 AM »
John:

Ohmygod, If you aren't familiar with (Canadian) Colin Linden, you've really missed a treat. One of the best acoustic blues players alive today. Fantastic slide player, super recording producer, unbelievable all round musician.

Alex

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 04:13:24 PM »
Thanks for the offer of a copy of the album if you come across it, Randall, I really appreciate it.  And your assessment of Colin Linden's work pretty much matches what I have heard elsewhere, Alex.  I will have to keep an eye out for his work.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 10:52:02 AM »
I'm on the lookout for that album as it has been out of print for a long time.

It's an excellent record. I have it in my possession.

If any member of Weenie Campbell wants to hear this album send me a pm and I'll help you further.....

Offline Lastfirstface

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 11:38:35 AM »
Hi Ryan, the guitar is a Gibson L-4, an acoustic archtop.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson2.html

Nice pic!

slack

The guitar that Sam Chatmon played was either an L-50 or an L-37 round hole. They're both kind of rare transitional models.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 01:12:07 PM »
Not sure about the L-50 (did they make a round hole L-50?) but I agree - an L-30 or an L-37 is much more likely than an L-4

edit: Yup, they did.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:15:19 PM by Slack »

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 11:07:38 AM »
It's a Gibson L-50

Tags: Sam Chatmon 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal