collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It was in tune when I bought it - Big Dave MacLean, in concert, while retuning his ancient slot head Gibson

Author Topic: Lead Belly: A Life in Pictures  (Read 6467 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Lead Belly: A Life in Pictures
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
Anyone seen this yet? Put together by Tiny Robinson.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Lead Belly: A Life in Pictures
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 02:20:11 PM »
What a striking picture. Huddie looks quite professorial. Distantly focused on who knows what philosophical question.
The photographer really got something profound in his gaze; reminds me of a Ribera portrait of St.Jerome, or is it
Rembrandt's St. Matthew taking dictation from the angel? I think thats it check it out:

My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:39:26 PM »
I checked worldcat and there are only two libraries in North America listed as having it in their holdings. (For future reference:)

http://www.worldcat.org/advancedsearch

Amazon has it for sale:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/3865214592/103-5221214-5377430?SubscriptionId=1NNRF7QZ418V218YP1R2

If you decide to go the Amazon route, be sure to support Weenie Campbell in the process.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 02:00:40 AM »
Anyone seen this yet? Put together by Tiny Robinson.
It's been a long time in the making, I seem to remember Larry Cohn mentioning it was in the making on the PWBG several years ago.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 08:45:10 AM »
There are some sample spreads from the book available for viewing here http://www.steidlville.com/books/558-A-Life-in-Pictures.html (Flash required). Looks fabulous.

Offline jostber

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 06:13:13 AM »
This book looks like a great one! It has introduction by Tom Waits too.

In the Intro, Waits writes: "There is something in Lead Belly?s voice so urgent, 'Come here right now and listen. Drop what ever you?re doing?' he?s hollering to you from the next hill over. It carried bold and impatient. He broke microphones, they weren?t prepared for his impolite delivery. When I first heard his voice, I knew it already. In mole communities they reward the brave ones. The ones known for tunneling beneath great rivers who faced the dangers involved in pulling off such an incredible feat of engineering, the ones responsible for taking other moles safely to the other side. Lead Belly is as much a part of the natural world as crows are, as dogs are, children playing in the yard are, trains are, jails are, second floor apartments are, and his songs are safe on the other side. And they?re all a part of you now.?

Gotta check out this.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 06:28:12 AM »
Quote from: Tom Waits
In mole communities they reward the brave ones. The ones known for tunneling beneath great rivers who faced the dangers involved in pulling off such an incredible feat of engineering, the ones responsible for taking other moles safely to the other side.

I wonder what those mole rewards are like. Shapely female moles? Mole champagne?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 06:33:29 AM by andrew »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 09:25:15 AM »
Well that answers that question - apparently the female moles are the risk takers and their reward? - a nine dollar shawl.

I now have a greater appreciation for the male mole.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 07:13:13 PM »
You really do learn a lot of interesting sh!t on weenie campbell I must say.

I once broke up a mole fight. These two guys were going at it tooth and nail on the surface, presumably after colliding underground or something. When moles collide... hmmm, good name for a band...!

I picked up one in each hand, I remember vividly the velvety feel of their jet black coats and incredibly strong limbs and claws scratching my hands as they tried to escape. It's as vivid today as it was back then, I must have been around 10 years old, riding my bike out on a country lane, looking for stag beetles.

I released them a suitable distance from each other and watched them disappear underground. I hadn't thought about this for years, this thread brought it all back.

Offline RB

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 06:35:51 AM »
I'm glad to see the notice of this book, which I'll enjoy looking at some time.  I want to see as many images of Ledbetter as I can and this will have some I've never seen.

I want to note re the Wait's introduction--and the ensuing chat about moles--that celebrity introductions, a fact of life, are often so fashionable and so poorly written that they are surely only valuable as artifacts of their time.

I'm new to this forum and discussion, so I have no credentials to be examined but let me say in part explanation that I bought my first Ledbetter record in 1965 or so, that Ledbetter died ten days before I was born, that, in 1971 I visited his gravesite (and Lemon Jefferson's on the same day--we were driving from Austin to Philadelphia) which was an unmarked grave at the time (as was Jefferson's, and wrote a reminiscence about this in 1995), that I was fairly briefly a member of 'the Leadbelly Society' (as I type I'm not certain of the name, though I believe I have saved the newsletters) and corresponded with the late Sean Killeen, who ran that enterprise.

As I say I'll look forward to the books; celebrities and music? It's air within air, and, though not uncommon, let's not celebrate it.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 07:09:43 AM »
Let's not make arbitrary haughty rules based on personal preferences either. But thank you for attempting to raise the tone, and welcome to Weenie Campbell!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 09:53:30 AM by Rivers »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 11:59:40 AM »
Welcome RB! No credentials required...

leadbelly2008

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 09:06:56 PM »
Hello Lead Belly fans!
Great to see the interest in this fantastic book on my great uncle Lead BELLY.
My grandmother Tiny Robinson worked with John Reynolds on this book for many years and finally it is published into a book form.
You can order copies by contacting the Lead Belly foundation at www.leadbelly.org
Or place an order through leadbellyarchive@gmail.com
make sure to check out the trailer for the upcoming documentary we are producing at www.leadbellytv.com

This book has unseen and rare photos of Lead belly with family and friends and a letter from Woody Guthrie!

Look out fo the Port Townsend Blues festival coming and a exhibit we are working on.

leadbelly2008

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 09:10:16 PM »
He fellow Lead Belly Society member...you will be happy to see many of Sean Killens articles from teh newsletter in the book!

Also about Tom Waits......you sor tof have the same story!

Tom Waits was born on the very same day Lead Belly passed away in Dec. 1949 and he believes they passed each others souls!

Enjoy and please contact me for any events or a copy of the book.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 06:52:58 AM »
Hello Lead Belly fans!
Great to see the interest in this fantastic book on my great uncle Lead BELLY.
My grandmother Tiny Robinson worked with John Reynolds on this book for many years and finally it is published into a book form.
You can order copies by contacting the Lead Belly foundation at www.leadbelly.org
Or place an order through leadbellyarchive@gmail.com
make sure to check out the trailer for the upcoming documentary we are producing at www.leadbellytv.com

This book has unseen and rare photos of Lead belly with family and friends and a letter from Woody Guthrie!

Look out fo the Port Townsend Blues festival coming and a exhibit we are working on.

Welcome to WeenieCampbell, LB! Looking forward to Port Townsend. Tiny was a special guest there several years ago, I think the same year Harry Lewman was teaching.

Also looking forward to getting the book. As for the documentary, is it completed? Any idea of release dates?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 07:09:44 AM by andrew »

Offline jostber

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 12:51:03 PM »
Just got this book, and it is a marvel. A wonderfully conceived large hardback with a lot of great pictures and information on our hero. Thanks to Tiny Robinson and John Reynolds for this. Recommended!

Tags: Leadbelly 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal