collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Drop the bomb, y'all! - Snooks Eaglin

Author Topic: Mics  (Read 2603 times)

Offline southernpicker

• Howdy!
    • L.B. Arnold
Mics
« on: August 30, 2004, 09:33:03 AM »
Hi blues lovers,
would like to know from your experience, what is/are the best mics to amplify an accoustic guitar for live gigs. I mean the ones with best results to give the natural sound of guitar with minimum or no buzzes. Would the same mic work for a resonator guitar? or are there specific mics for resonators?

thanks
Héctor Guerrero
Alicante, Spain
Got the blues, can't be satisfied

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Re: Mics
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 01:09:08 PM »
I'm sure there are those with greater wisdom than I on this, but I have had great results with an AKG C1000 "condenser" on wood guitars as well as single and tricone resonators - just played a festival here in UK over the weekend  with this set up and got great sound with my reso's. Neumann k's are better but big money to take out. (An advantage of the AKG is that it does not need phantom power if this is ever a problem).

Also you cannot fail but to get good results with a Shure SM57 dynamic, although I personally prefer the clarity of the condenser.

Offline thumbstyle

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 11:55:50 PM »
Hello,

Just saw this topic, and although some time has passed, thought I would chime in.

I agree with blueshome that a small-diaphragm condenser mike is probably your best choice for a clear, detailed sound. The disadvantage of condensers is they are expensive, more prone to feedback, and not as rugged as dynamic mikes. Still, if the gig is not too rough and you trust the people handling the equipment, you may want to take your condenser along. I've played live with a Neumann KM184 with good results, but as blueshome said, they're pretty expensive to take out into the world. AKG and Shure both make some good small condensers too. I personally think Audio-Technica mikes are hard to beat - great value. Check out the AT4041. There are a lot of quite inexpensive small condensers from China, too, but I have no experience with them. I might not trust them for a live show.

You might want to own a Shure SM57 in any case. They are cheap ($90 in the US), they sound decent (or at least people are used to how they sound), and they're reliable.

Here's an interesting article by Bob Brozman on live sound for resonator guitars.

http://www.nationalguitars.com/tips.html

Buena suerte,
Dave

Offline Bluesygirl

• I've Fallen And I Can't Reach My Guitar
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 12:05:36 PM »
Has anyone tried out the PRO 70 clip on mic from Audio Technica? I am wondering whether it might not be a decent option for those who do not want to alter their guitars or who don't have the money for/need for a more expensive mic set up.Bg

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal