Country Blues > Discographies

Ransom Knowling

(1/4) > >>

Stefan Wirz:
driven by the fact that there's obviously not one single picture on the internet showing the influential bassist Ransom Knowling, I searched through my literature and eventually found one in the (long out of print) German magazine Blues Forum (#2 1980) showing him with Tampa Red et al. 1950

Johnny Jones, Ransom Knowling, Tampa Red, Odie Payne; RCA-Studio, Chicago, 1950

Question: Isn't there somewhere a pic of Ransom Knowling tickling the strings of his sb, leave alone blowing his bb?

(Come on, 'Bunker Hill', show us what your brain is able 'waving' while thinking about those days in 1964 when the American Blues & Gospel Caravan went by your home town and what diverse Jazz and Blues magazines had to say reviewing this event ;-)

Stefan

Bunker Hill:

--- Quote from: Stefan Wirz on June 26, 2006, 08:52:56 AM ---Question: Isn't there somewhere a pic of Ransom Knowling tickling the strings of his sb, leave alone blowing his bb?
(Come on, 'Bunker Hill', show us what your brain is able 'waving' while thinking about those days in 1964 when the American Blues & Gospel Caravan went by your home town and what diverse Jazz and Blues magazines had to say reviewing this event ;-)
--- End quote ---
Hey the only one I can think of with bass was taken by Rae Flerlage in the 60s and used in the "Caravan" tour program, later to turn up in the gatefold sleeve of the 1970 Arthur Crudup RCA LP Father Of Rock & Roll. I can scan it from LP if you wish.

Bunker Hill:
No sooner mentioned than actioned

Bunker Hill:
When touring Europe in 1964 those who attempted to interview him found it hard going. I seem to remember a rather terse interview (conducted with Georges Adins) appearing in an issue of Blues Unlimited. Mike Vernon once told me that when he recorded Otis Spann with Knowling, Muddy and Willie Smith for Decca in London, Knowling was a consumate musician with "attitude". Knowling's death in Chicago (22 Oct 1967) received notices in a French and a German Jazz mag, along with a couple of lines in Down Beat's "Final Bar" column, and they were it as far as I'm aware.

dj:
I knew I'd seen another one:  there's a picture of Merline Johnson, Lester Melrose, and Ransom Knowling on page 127 of the 1992 Da Capo Press version of Big Bill Blues.  Sorry, but I can't scan it - the software on my laptop refuses to talk to my printrer/scanner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version