The Unwound Third > Gitfiddles, Harps, Washboards & Kazoos

Gibson L-00 Standard

(1/3) > >>

Blues Vintage:
I'm in the market for a Gibson L-00 Standard. I'd like to know the opinion of people who have (or had) this (type of) guitar. How does is compare to a similar model like a Martin OM for example?

Lastfirstface:
Have you checked out the x-braced Waterloos WL-14? A better L-00 choice for less money in my opinion.

David Kaatz:
Also competing well in quality and sound with the Waterloo are the Martin 00-17 series.
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/17-series/00l-17e-whiskey-sunset/

I have been quite tempted by both Waterloo and Martin, but money issues and the wife have stayed my hand from my wallet!
It seems guitars of this type are making a resurgence - several boutique luthiers are making knockoffs, although those are mostly more expensive than the Gibson brand.

But as far as opinions, there's nothing as good as playing some and comparing. I have owned an original '30s vintage L-00, and it was wonderful for playing blues/ragtime. I didn't care for it as much for other styles. Sometimes I regret selling it, thus the interest in the newer knock-offs.

Dave

Blues Vintage:

--- Quote from: Lastfirstface on February 08, 2017, 06:22:54 AM ---Have you checked out the x-braced Waterloos WL-14? A better L-00 choice for less money in my opinion.

--- End quote ---

This one? A better choice for what reason? Why the X, I thought the L is mostly the preferred model for blues/ragtime stuff ( X for strumming, L for fingerpicking I read once).

GhostRider:
Howdy:

I assume the X means the guitar is X-braced, like an L-OO.

I have an original 1933 L-OO and a 1932 reissue. Both are great, the 1933 is my favorite guitar Beautiful, rich, woody tone, to my ears less bright than a Martin (although I have no vintage Martin OM to compare it to).

Some of the L-OO Standard guitars I have played had a 1 11/16 nut, not so good for fingerpicking.

Alex

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version