collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
"Is your name Rabbit or is that just a nickname?" "No, my name is Lewis Anderson Muse. That's my real name." "How'd they give you that name?" "What, Rabbit? Well, I got that name playing baseball." - Interview with Lewis "Rabbit" Muse, Digital Library of Appalachia

Author Topic: Momma Your Papa Loves You  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
Momma Your Papa Loves You
« on: August 30, 2006, 11:24:13 AM »
Well you all asked for more...so here is another.  This tune is also one of the E. Cotten tunes off of John Miller's Video of her pieces.  This was the first tune I really feel like I had down from begining to end.  Its also an instrumental...so no need for my "singing" voice to be shared just yet.  It think I got the tempo a litle better on this one...seems about right to me anyway.  I love what John refers to as "the suprise ending" of this song.

Song: Momma Your Papa Loves You
Guitar: Larrivee OM-05MT
Strings: Elixir Nanoweb Custom Light PBs.
Recorder: Sony MZ N707 minidisc
Microphone: Sony ECM-OS70P...about 15 inches from guitar
Software: Audacity
Clumsy fingers:  ALL MINE!!!   

Enjoy,

Blue
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 11:27:48 AM by Blue in VT »
Blue in VT

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Momma Your Papa Loves You
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 04:38:08 PM »
Congratulations on a very nice rendition, Chris!  It sounds fine, and I'm expecially impressed with how well you handled Libba's "tapping" section.  Do you reckon John Fahey listened to this tune early on?  Keep up the good work.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 07:28:34 AM »
Thanks John,
The tapping section took me a few trys but after a had the rest of the song down (except for the ending which took me awhile) the taps just fit the rytham so well that I just had to let it flow...sometimes I feel like I over think some of these tougher passages... if have a good idea of what its suppose to sound like (from tape or video) and just let it flow sometimes it actually comes easier.

While I'm on the Cotten kick I'm trying to get a good rendition of "Oh babe it ain't no lie" recorded...then the only other standard tunning piece from this tape is Wilson Rag....this one is still giving me fits...A lot of moving around the fretboard...plus barre chords... >:(  This is my first encounter with them.....its not going well so far... :( :(

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 09:44:56 AM »
Fine picking. I'm just catching up on my BP listening - there's such a lot  of quality stuff going on...

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 07:01:18 AM »
Cheap....

Nope not Cocaine....just an odd ending that Libba put on the end of this tune...While the majority of the song is in G and D she wraps it all up with that section on C for some reason...this is what I was refering to in my first msg as the "suprise ending"

Blue
Blue in VT

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal