collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
That's supposed to be a funny song - Muddy Waters on Hoochie Coochie Man, to Dave Van Ronk, as told to Elijah Wald, Escaping the Delta

Author Topic: Question: Blind Blake as session musician  (Read 2169 times)

Offline SportinFingers

• Howdy!
Re: Question: Blind Blake as session musician
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 09:15:47 AM »
I'm not too familiar with Arthur Pettis. I'm listening to him now and hear the similarities now

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 09:24:07 AM »
Hi SportinFingers,
Try his "Good Boy Blues" and "That Won't Do", especially.  They work the same territory.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:17:15 PM by Johnm »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 07:53:41 PM »
As I recall from a previous discussion we had about Big Bill and Arthur Pettis, Johnm, we decided that Broonzy played a double hammer-on to the G bass at the beginning of each verse, but Pettis played a triple hammer-on. However, this recording is so beat, and my ears are losing acuity, and I can't hear it one way or the other, can you? Throughout there are phrases that I think sound more like Broonzy and others that sound more like Pettis. Perhaps they were trading verses on the guitar as well?

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 09:42:43 PM »
Hi Wax,
The two guitarists are playing right on top of each other, both working out of C position in standard tuning, and occasionally sound as though they are duplicating each other in some of the bass runs.  The piece doesn't have the sort of lead guitar and boom-changing back-up division of labor that many or most of Broonzy's duets had.  It sounds like they may have just said, "Let's play this song together in C.", and were getting a kick out of how much they played like each other.  They could be taking turns, but they're both playing so busily that there's no obvious differentiation between a lead and a seconding player.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: Blind Blake 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal