collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Had all that cork on our face... made us look even blacker... shit, painted our mouths white... made 'em look big... I had to have a shot of liquor before the show. If I didn't it seemed like I couldn't be funny in front of all them people. When I had one it seemed like them people was one and I would throw up the banjo in the air and really put on a show. - Gus Cannon, on performing with Dr. Stokey's Medicine Show in Clarksdale, Mississippi

Author Topic: patton  (Read 2270 times)

Offline unezrider

patton
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:40:53 PM »
hello friend,
maybe this is a silly question, & i don't believe i've come across it on here - but forgive me if i overlooked it - is it Charlie, or Charley Patton? sometimes it's spelled one way, sometimes another. does anyone really know, or know why the inconsistency? i know it really doesn't matter in the long run, but its always puzzled me. & i figured this would be the best place to ask. thanks guys,
chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline Eldergreene

• Howdy!
Re: patton
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 02:08:55 AM »
Hi, IIRC, according to the Calt/Wardlow book he spelt it C-H-A-R-L-I-E

Offline Michael Kuehn

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 05:14:46 AM »
Although if you look at his tombstone, it's spelled "Charley." Of course he didn't have much to say about what they put there, so I guess that doesn't settle anything either.

Mike

Offline Eldergreene

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 08:20:35 AM »
After further checking, my earlier post is correct, but the statement that CP spelt his name with an I-E came from Son House, who was notoriously 'approximate' in his recollections! But it's the most we've got to go on..

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 08:33:05 PM »
B&GR spells it Charley, other authorities, including Wardlow & Calt in their bio, presumably accepting Son's spelling, spell it 'Charlie'. Personally I think you can assume both are correct, the masked marvel has two first names.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:38:37 PM by Rivers »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 04:46:53 AM »
From the scant paper trail of Patton's life, his several marriage certificates variously give his name as "Charles", "Chas", and "Charlie".  His death certificate has it as "Charley Patton (Charlie Patton)", with "Charley" being written in in the hand of the person who filled out the bulk of the certificate and "Charlie" written in the hand of the registrar.

Facsimilies of all the certificates are reprinted in the Revenant Patton box set.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 03:08:17 PM »
Patton spelled his name Luxuryyacht but pronounced it Throatwobblermangrove.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 08:27:39 PM »
LOL!

Sometimes you just gotta float a theory...

Offline Marshcat

• Aloha!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 04:24:27 AM »
Since Son House spelt our mutual obsession B-L-U-S-E, we're lucky not to be calling him Charlene Pattern...

Tags: Charlie Patton  

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal