collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The stuff I got'll bust your brains out, baby - it'll make you lose your mind - Robert Johnson, Stop Breakin' Down

Author Topic: Fraulini Guitars  (Read 19929 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Fraulini Guitars
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2005, 01:38:55 PM »
True, but last time I saw Marc, I think at the benefit for Jimmy Borsdorf, he said he was using up the last of his wood to build a run of ukes and that he didn't really have the energy to source and properly dry a load of wood aand felt he wouldn't build another guitar. Kind of a sad conversation, but you're right, Tim, there are a few previously built models available. Marc seems to be playing a lot more and either just taught or is about to teach a workshop with Woody Mann in Berkeley.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 01:26:43 PM »
For those interested in peeking into a luthier's workshop, I just put up an In the shop page on the Fraulini website.  It'll get updated now & then as Todd sees fit to send me pictures during the build process.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 03:15:49 PM »
So this is where you've been spendin' all your time. The whole site seems more developed and "finished" since we last discussed it. Really fine work, Frank. And fine looking bodies, Todd. For some reason I really like the rope binding, as is on my little Stella, so I'm glad to see you're replicating it. Have you found sources for all or most of the OS bindings you're aware of? I know you have the tricolor (in brown, too?) and i'm thinking that might be the "Leadbelly" pattern also shown in closeup Anyway, Beautiful work. I assume you guys will keep us posted as this batch progresses?
All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 07:14:17 AM »
My wife and I are going to be having our first kid, so it's high time that I started clearing the house of guitars, both old and new.  I've been plugging away, getting some old instruments back into playing shape and working with Frank on getting an inventory page for my webstie.  He uploaded it last night and it's ready to go.  Check it out:

http://fraulini.com/inventory.html

All of the old guitars there have been meticulously gone over by me, and I have done all of the repairs.  I usually hang onto a guitar for a while, before I let it go, to play it and make sure all of the bugs are worked out. 
All of the new guitars are built in the old style but, in the words of Paul Geremia, "with a lot more integrity".  Here's my take on Ernest Stoneman's auditorium sized Galiano:
Thanks,
Todd

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2005, 09:10:14 AM »
ooh, that's not fair.  I just swore off buying another instrument for a year, but that auditorium copy is mighty attractive!  Never played a guitar with such a wide nut (most of mine are 1 3/4"), or V neck for that matter.  Actually, I have handled a V-neck occasionally, but never really played one.  Are these things really noticeable, or pretty easy to adjust to?

Anyway, congratulations on some beautiful work, and your ever improving web site, and your other kind of reproduction work, too!

Tom

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 09:21:17 AM »
Hey Todd,
Congratulations on the expected family addition and on fully making the transition to a guitar building and restoring business. It's good to know that there is enough growing interest in the old style instruments to support you and the few other builders out there. Many of us are looking forward to the first opportunity you get to bring some of these beauties out to PT. Good luck.
All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2005, 10:25:25 AM »
Tom:

The V necks are the best. If you ever get a guitar with one, you'll "throw the rest outdoors"

And your right Todd's post wasn't fair. Here I am in a GAS mid-life crisis and he's temptation!

Alex

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2005, 11:01:38 AM »
Yeah Alex, and your hands are big enough to handle one of those long scale, wide nut 12 strings. Maybe you could put in an order for one from Todd's next batch and that would help a little with the GAS.
All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2005, 11:20:17 AM »
Why thanks fellas. ?We'll see how the kid does in a household that's full of old guitars, records, antiques and artwork. ?As to whether or not there are enough people out there to support luthiers making old style instruments, that's yet to be seen. ? ?A paradigm shift needs to occur in the guitar public first. ?It's happening, but very slowly.
As far as the V neck goes, and the flat fingerboard for that matter, they really do grow on you. ?They do require some getting used to but they're very comfortable when you get the hang of it.  I can do standard necks and radiused fingerboards, but when it's up to me, I go for the V.
I'm currently working on molds for three smaller sized guitars.  They're patterned after a Larson Bros. made Stahl Style 6, a O.S. Stella concert, and a Lyon and Healy esque parlor sized guitar.  I'm pretty excited to see (and hear) how they all turn out.

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2005, 07:28:13 PM »
I've been finishing up a new batch of guitars and took some pictures today.? I thought I'd post some pictures of the ones that are done.? The two "Ermas" are copies of some Stella concerts that I have and the Loretta is hybrid of a few different Chicago made parlor sized guitars, sort of Lyon and Healy inspired.? Not pictured is a very fancy copy of a Larson Brothers made Stahl Style 6 that is currently being French polished.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 07:36:42 PM by Cambio »

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2005, 08:49:35 PM »
Gorgeous work Todd!  Wish you were bringing them to PT!

Please post the Stahl copy when done - would love to see it.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2005, 04:53:43 AM »
I made some changes to the website over the weekend - the inventory page includes some new guitars and prices...  worth a look.

Personally, I'm totally smitten with a not-so-fancy Erma.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2005, 07:14:20 AM »
Personally, I'm totally smitten with a not-so-fancy Erma.

That's the one I want... hubba hubba.

Todd, Slack and I forgot to mention in our Port Townsend summaries that we wore our new fashionable Fraulini t-shirts at the camp. We even went to Bo Carter class with both of us sporting them. We looked like dorks, the tall guy and the short guy dressed the same... You'd have been proud, or embarrassed, I'm not sure which. We neglected to get a photo though. Damn!

Anyway I talked a bit to Geremia about getting the parlor from you, and Slack and I referred several people to your site. They were writing the name down in their notebooks so should actually find it.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2005, 08:20:27 AM »
I made some changes to the website over the weekend - the inventory page includes some new guitars and prices...  worth a look.

Todd's been a busy boy -- that is a very nice and plentiful inventory of CB guitars!

Todd, Slack and I forgot to mention in our Port Townsend summaries that we wore our new fashionable Fraulini t-shirts at the camp. We even went to Bo Carter class with both of us sporting them. We looked like dorks, the tall guy and the short guy dressed the same...

Actually, I emailed Todd -- told him we looked like Mutt and Jeff going to bowling league!  (we should have gotten a pic... dang)  Todd also has the most beautiful post cards of his guitars.

Cheers,
slack

Offline Cambio

• Howdy!
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2005, 08:42:53 AM »
"we looked like Mutt and Jeff going to bowling league! "?

At Clifftop, I had the whole Basile clan, plus other odd friends decked out in Fraulini attire. ?I felt like a cult leader, constantly waiting for the ATF to storm my compound.
I have been busy, turning out lots of goodies, trying to fend off the lure of a day job. ?I should ?be finishing up the Larson Bros. Stahl copy in the next couple of days and I'll post some pics when it's done.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 08:44:27 AM by Cambio »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal