collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Take it slow and easy if you want to get along with me - Jesse Fuller, Slow and Easy Blues

Author Topic: Stew-Mac Triple O Kit  (Read 3373 times)

Offline jrn

Re: Stew-Mac Triple O Kit
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 08:08:44 AM »
I wonder if there are any ladder braced kits...........

I'm off to look!
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Stew-Mac Triple O Kit
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 08:57:42 AM »
On the subject of bracing:
You can find great guitars with ladder or   X bracing and dreadful examples of both so go by the sound of the individual guitar and not by bracing method. Also all the characteristics ascribed to one or the other method can also be found in either in my experience more reason to look with no precondeptions.Just my opinion.
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Stew-Mac Triple O Kit
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 09:03:11 AM »
Btw according to my luthier friend Rick Kelly ladder bracing was abandoned not because of sonic issues but because of physical problems that developed in the tops such as warping and bubbling some of which were addressed by x bracing.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Stew-Mac Triple O Kit
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 09:16:25 AM »
Also if what you want is loud, punchy, with a minimum of sustain try a Maple
Guitar. Either bracing method.

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 02:56:53 PM »
On the subject of bracing:
You can find great guitars with ladder or   X bracing and dreadful examples of both so go by the sound of the individual guitar and not by bracing method. Also all the characteristics ascribed to one or the other method can also be found in either in my experience more reason to look with no precondeptions.Just my opinion.

Agreed..  It would be inaccurate to generalize all guitars with one bracing style as having a specific sound.  There are so many factors that influence the final sound of a guitar including the type of woods, the thickness of the bracing, the weight of the bridge, bridge plate, depth of body, size of soundhole, the finish, etc...  Not to mention the skill, care and mood of the builder.  If you had the same guy make two guitars identical in every way except the bracing, of course they would sound quite different.

In my opinion, X bracing is definitely structurally "better" than ladder bracing.  With the X, the top is supported in a more evenly spread out way and holds it's shape under tension better.  Most ladder braced tops that I've seen tend to flex in a more dramatic wave, where an X braced top will have a more even belly.  I've also seen fairly flat and stable ladder tops and totally warped X tops.  If the action is good, and you like the sound of a guitar, then a little warp and belly in a top shouldn't matter (as long as it's not getting worse).  I like a guitar with a top that's light and thin enough to flex, but still strong enough to hold that tension.

Offline jrn

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 03:26:29 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!  I really appreciate it!! Lot of great points.

I might have to look for a complete OOO 12 fret model now. Looks like Recording King has some that fit my thin wallet. Might try to play a few soon.

I certainly like the idea of a building class rather than a kit.

Thanks again
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 03:56:40 PM »
check out the one I'm playing in the "Church Full O'Singers" thread (Performance Corner)....long-scale 12fret slothead mahogany & spruce. Less than $300 (street price).
best,
bruce

Offline jrn

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 05:26:26 PM »
I'm going to check it out now. Thanks!
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 08:08:56 PM »
I own good x-braced guitars and one good ladder braced guitar. They are different, and that's all I'm saying. I personally entertain no internal arguments about which are better.

Don't get stuck on sweeping generalizations that one something-or-other has to be superior to another. They are different, that's all. Pick the right tool for your particular job, whatever that happens to be. For metalwork I pick up a ball pein hammer, for house carpentry give me a claw hammer so I can pull out the nails I tend to bend. They are different tools. And so it is with guitars.

Offline nobocaster

• Hot Dog!
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 08:58:10 AM »
To clarify, by saying X bracing is structurally "better", I just mean from an engineering standpoint.  (not that I'm an engineer).  I don't mean it makes a better instrument.  Building a guitar out of 3/4" plywood would be structurally superior also but it would sound less than ideal!  I'm generally a pretty staunch defender of ladder bracing against modern misconceptions.  I build and play guitars with both styles of bracing (and occasional variations too).

Offline westside ryan

• Howdy!
    • Westside Ryan
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »
When my friend was at the NAMM show he noticed that Recording King was coming out with a parlor guitar  (which I think now to be the RPH-05) in what they were calling their Dirty Thirties series.  The Rep said that it was reminiscent of the old Stellas.  My friend asked if it was ladder braced and was told no, that a ladder braced guitar wouldn't hold up like an x-braced would and that they couldn't afford to warranty a ladder braced guitar! 

I have owned and played many x-braced and ladder braced guitars and have found great sounding and bad sounding examples of both!  The last ladder braced guitar that I owned was a late 20's First Hawaiian Conservatory Stella.  I honestly thought the guitar sounded pretty bad, but have heard good examples on-line.  I also recently purchased 2 Art & Lutherie AMI guitars which I think sound great!

Offline jrn

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 05:16:25 PM »
I keep hearing good things about those A&L ami guitars!
Quitman, Mississippi

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal