collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
George wanted to take Lonzie to record with Albert Macon and Robert Thomas, and the daughter was hesitant to let Lonzie get in a car with George, or with anybody, but George reassured her. So George helped him in the car, and put the car in reverse, and drove directly into a nearby ditch. Lonzie turned and said, "Man, George, you may as well let me drive!" - Fred Fussell describes George Mitchell chauffeuring the blind Lonzie Thomas to a recording session, from notes to The George Mitchell Collection

Author Topic: Blues mandolin repertoire  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Blues mandolin repertoire
« on: April 13, 2012, 05:45:05 PM »
I'm looking around for blues mandolin tunes in minor keys by way of learning the fretboard, plus minor chords and scales really appeal to me on the mando. Steve James has an arrangement of Gambler's Blues (of the St James infirmary family) available in his CD & book Roots & Blues Mandolin, and that has got me started with A minor.

Can anyone think of any other classic minor blues mandolin tunes out there?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Blues mandolin repertoire
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »
Hard enough to find any mandolin blues in a minor key. From my quick survey of what I have in iTunes, you pretty much have to go off-genre, or at least the edges of the genre.

- Howard Armstrong's version of St. Louis Blues on the Louie Bluie CD.
- Mysterious Coon by Alec Johnson is one of those theatrical tunes modulating from mostly minor to major. It is a true classic IMO, with remarkable backup from Charlie and Joe McCoy and Bo Carter. The subject matter makes it pretty much unplayable. On Good For What Ails You, Mississippi String Bands and Associates on Document, and I'm sure some other compilations.
- Craig Ventresco does a medley called In My Harem/If I Had a Girl Like You. Craig on mandolin, Meredith Axelrod on guitar. Not blues, but coming more out of the ragtime and theatre music era, with In My Harem being kind of similar to the style that Mysterious Coon draws on.
- Ciro's Club Coon Orchestra have a bunch of stuff with minor key elements, found on Earliest Black String Bands Vol 1 on Document. Again, not blues.

Perhaps Bill Monroe has something on the early recordings? I don't know them well enough. Although would obviously highly recommend them for all sorts of reasons, but singling out one: his tremolo. It's just killer, and I particularly love it on the tunes not done at breakneck speed, where it's nice and loose. 

If it is more a question of learning the fretboard than playing in minor keys, then I might suggest checking out a bunch of the ragtimey tunes from the likes of the Dallas String Band, King David's Jug Band, Mathew Prater playing with Nap Hayes (the list could go on) as well as a bunch of the old-time groups playing raggy stuff. Then for darker, more bluesy playing and a different approach to the fretboard, Yank Rachell's early stuff with Sleepy John, and solo. You're already listening to Charlie McCoy of course.

I should take my own advice and break out of the hack level I keep settling back into.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:39:49 AM by uncle bud »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:01:38 AM »
Thanks Andrew for the research and comments there, I'm happy to go off-genre, it's repertoire building but at this point more important to be able to land on the changes and licks at will, which has me chasing songs in several  keys and modes.

It occurred to me that another one with a brief minor interlude for the first 8 bars that may work is the Harum Scarums' Come On In (Ain't Nobody Here).

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
No mandolin on that one, is there? Though you could cop the guitar lines.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:34:22 AM »
Hi Mark,
I think the first strain of "Temptation Rag", which Artie Rose played on the mandolin on an old Dave Van Ronk and His Jug Stompers album on Mercury, is minor.  As for Bill Monroe, he's done a version of "Wayfaring Stranger" you could probably find on YouTube, also "Lonesome Moonlight Waltz".  Otherwise, I'd just go for minor tunes whether they had a mandolin on the original recording or not, like Tampa Red/Georgia Tom's "If You Want Me To Love You".
All best,
Johnm

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 10:46:54 AM »
I added the "minor chords" tag which links to the blues in minor/ with minor chords thread for lots of possibilities for doing what Johnm suggests, which if one is keen to play minor stuff, seems like the way to go for sure.

Offline mr mando

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:06:12 PM »
Harlem Hamfats' "Weed Smokers Dream" and "Why Don't You Do Right" (basically the same song) of course. Don't remember the original keys, I play the first one in Cm and the second one in Dm, albeit on the tenor guitar. Those tunes are supposed to have Charlie McCoy in the personnel but I don't remember if he's audible on mandolin. Nevertheless blues tunes in a minor key. Also by the Harlem Hamfats is "Root Hog or Die" which is basically the same progression as "Bei Mir Bist Du Schejn". Afair in Gm.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 01:03:49 PM »
The South Street Trio's "Cold Morning Shout" starts with a minor feel, and it's tenor banjo but easily moved to mando. Also there's a nice Italian tune called Rose di Maggio Polka that the Cheap Suit Serenaders did that's in 3 parts -- starts in Am, then C then A major.

Offline mr mando

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 01:05:11 AM »
Also there's a nice Italian tune called Rose di Maggio Polka that the Cheap Suit Serenaders did that's in 3 parts -- starts in Am, then C then A major.

The original of which was recorded by Frank Fazio on tenor banjo (acc. by piano and tuba) in Dm, F and D, so Allan Dodge plays the same fingerings as Fazio. If this kind of repertoire is of interest to you, I'd also recommend listening to "Idilio Primaverile" by Giovanni Giovale. Also, Andy Statman's "Flatbush Waltz" in Gm and a tune named "Musette in A" (mainly in Am and whose real name is "la Mangave" btw) on a Peter Ostroushko CD could probably be of interest to you. 

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 06:02:24 AM »
Also there's a nice Italian tune called Rose di Maggio Polka that the Cheap Suit Serenaders did that's in 3 parts -- starts in Am, then C then A major.

The original of which was recorded by Frank Fazio on tenor banjo (acc. by piano and tuba) in Dm, F and D, so Allan Dodge plays the same fingerings as Fazio. If this kind of repertoire is of interest to you, I'd also recommend listening to "Idilio Primaverile" by Giovanni Giovale. Also, Andy Statman's "Flatbush Waltz" in Gm and a tune named "Musette in A" (mainly in Am and whose real name is "la Mangave" btw) on a Peter Ostroushko CD could probably be of interest to you.

Is this it (music starts at 1:38)?

It's awesome either way.

Offline mr mando

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 06:36:01 AM »
Is this it (music starts at 1:38)?

Yep, that's "Rose di Maggio".

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 08:57:56 AM »

I've got both the Fazio and the Giovale recordings -- great stuff! Giovale was sure a virtuoso player. Haven't heard the other two, I'll have to check them out.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 06:27:59 PM »
Wow! An abundance of riches, thanks very much all.

Andrew, the Harum Scarums thing starts in A minor for 8 bars before changing to an A major. You're right there's no mandolin on it, but there could be. Thanks for linking the minor thread, authenticity be damned.

Went to a big outdoor birthday jam in the Tx Hill Country last night with the reso mando. I was really happy that people seemed to love it. I had to think on my feet adapting to various keys and chords, which is what I need right now, and a few of the impromptu songs across genres turned out really good (for a beginner). A couple of mando players present with more experience than me had a go on the NRP and were, without exception, impressed with the volume and tone.

So I'm now totally hooked on this incredibly expressive and flexible instrument. Also did some Memphis Minnie tunes in Spanish on the reso guitar, people were actually dancing enthusiastically to Pigmeat On The Line, excellent. Definitely one of my better public outings, huge fun. Here's photo: http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/577866_421351031226658_100000552931057_1598895_1511732341_n.jpg
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:34:23 PM by Rivers »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal